RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Tanya Jonker

This young lass just rode her first winner in R2 at Riccarton.

Firstly well done Tanya, it's a hell of a thrill and you seemed particularly delighted.

Might I suggest though that you polish up on your stick technique, we are after all broadcasting to the globe and it's important our off shore punters have confidence in what they see coming out of NZ.

Alternatively embrace the CWJ style because he has been busy proving to the world for about 30 years now that most horses don't need the stick, and many do what yours did and fold up underneath you when you mis-hit them.

Now don't take this personally, I'm not criticizing you as a person, and I'm not saying you can't ride, but you certainly can't ride one out or use the stick so sort that out ASAP. You owe it to yourself, your patrons and supporters, and to the industry to look good and do the job well.

All the best.

1 hour ago, Midget said:

Firstly well done Tanya, it's a hell of a thrill and you seemed particularly delighted.

Might I suggest though that you polish up on your stick technique, we are after all broadcasting to the globe and it's important our off shore punters have confidence in what they see coming out of NZ.

Alternatively embrace the CWJ style because he has been busy proving to the world for about 30 years now that most horses don't need the stick, and many do what yours did and fold up underneath you when you mis-hit them.

Now don't take this personally, I'm not criticizing you as a person, and I'm not saying you can't ride, but you certainly can't ride one out or use the stick so sort that out ASAP. You owe it to yourself, your patrons and supporters, and to the industry to look good and do the job well.

All the best.

Totally agree with the congratulations!  Not so the commentator (Cross?). His brilliant analysis of the ride--" a clever ride from Tanya Jonker, jumped from the One gate and went straight to the rail". WhereTF else would she have gone? To the outside fence maybe. Too much mindless drivel from too many presenters.

1 hour ago, Midget said:

All the best.

Have to agree. It hurt just watching those last few!

3 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Totally agree with the congratulations!  Not so the commentator (Cross?). His brilliant analysis of the ride--" a clever ride from Tanya Jonker, jumped from the One gate and went straight to the rail". WhereTF else would she have gone? To the outside fence maybe. Too much mindless drivel from too many presenters.

That is the first time I have heard the young man say anything a bit inane.  Give him a break, we all say silly things at times and don't have the pressure of a NZ wide audience, some of whom are listening for any faux par so they can complain.  In my opinion Matt Cross is a very good commentator.

2 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Why can't you just wish the girl well, you love to be negative EVERY time when it comes to Jocks...so boring.

I agree totaly. It was a pretty stupid comment. All the girl needs to do is get some training and bush up on her skills.

some fair points raised here,fantastic riding her first winner but plenty of work to do which isn't unusual, look at Ryan Elliot,butchered plenty but to his credit finding the form Rogey said he was capable. She looks risky on anything but a leader but you got to start somewhere no:ph34r:

17 hours ago, Midget said:

All the best.

Absolutely agree.

She rides work for me,  is so very capable in that role - far beyond her years -  but her finish has had me cringing for a while.  What do they teach at the local app. school?

I was there and over the last 50 I thought she was going to fall off then got the curry going 

Agree that if she watches the magic mans rides yesterday she will learn - and ain't he riding superbly, but as our Premier number one hoop I expect that

Got her first win - congrats ....but

Totally agree with Midget on this one.Congrats to Tanya on her first winner and don't blame her for her exuberance in the last couple of hundred metres with the whip.However it wasn't pretty to watch but doubt the horse was feeling it too much but the blame has to come from her employers and the stewards who approve  licences to apprentices to allow them to ride in races when not really skilled enough to do it adequately.Maybe not enough trials here in the south for appys to practice and whips aren't generally used in a trial anyway but somebody has to train them in the skill.Maybe a couple of trips down south for Harry to upskill.Also comments about watching videos are very valid,but there is only one jockey you need to watch in all facets of the game and that's J Mac. 

On 01/10/2016 at 3:09 PM, chevy86 said:

re Matt Cross I was in course so did not hear his TV comments but I was bloody impressed with his work for the day. Excellent calling I thought on the toughest course for a commentator in NZ.  Up to the best in the land I reckon.

They need to get Midget Snr back down as riding master at Riccarton.  There are one or two other southern apprentices in desperate need of some polishing up on their use of the whip and theit action when they do.