RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Guest 2Admin2

Des Coppins to host Gary Woodham - Questions and Callers Wanted

The "over-management" of betting accounts with limits placed as to what you can bet or win signals one salient fact. It is that the TAB management have no faith in their odds setters. They are intrinsically implying that the smart Punters are far better at nailing a loose price than their own people. This is a serial failure of any betting agency. If you use inferior analysts to set your odds then of course you will be frightened of being taken to the cleaners. This is a defensive ploy when at the very least the TAB should be confident of taking on anyone. "You know the odds, now beat them" - remember that. Seems the TAB have taken this creed and clutched it fearfully to their chest. 

Over here we use one of Australia's top (we would say THE top) analysts when assessing form for stallion purchases. He is the chief analyst for one of the biggest corporate bookies. This is big money country where it could result in an expenditure of up to $40m. We often ask about the potential of a certain colt to win an upcoming major feature and when we get the report it is astonishing the degree of micro analysis this guy produces. Most importantly, it pays off. He is rarely, very rarely wrong. I am sure the NZ TAB has no one with such talent. If they did they would welcome the big punters.

Higher salaries for bookie analysts and less for paper pushers might be a step in the right direction. It might stem them flow of customers to corporate bookies and maybe pull some business back.

I am not a big punter but my corporate betting agency has someone call me on a regular basis for feedback. If I have been inactive for a few weeks they call and offer me a one-off top up of up to $100. That's free money. I am sure the NZ TAB bookies are doing no such thing. Needless to say my NZ TAB betting account lies empty and idle.Lastly I note the odds are always better with my corporate no matter whether the races are NZ or OZ.   

1 hour ago, meomy said:

One thing that particular annoyed us to hear was Des Coppins tell a caller who he was having difficulty hearing with his line to shift position so he could hear him and to call back.

Des there are many who live in areas of New Zealand who are passionate about racing that have been "cut off" from the industry where there's poor cell phone/ and internet coverage because everything has become so "digitally" focused and chances are he was one of those unfortunate people.

Des, How about you make an effort to find out his number through your communications system at Radio Trackside and phone him back live on air and apologise to him and allow him to have his say?

To be fair there were a couple of other methods of contacting the show, I'm not sure how practical or effective your suggestion would be as presumably there could still be issues with the line if Des was to call the person. During the couple of calls with technical issue that I heard Des was pretty reasonable and did give them a bit of time to move around. Just my opinion on it. 

2 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Higher salaries for bookie analysts and less for paper pushers might be a step in the right direction. It might stem them flow of customers to corporate bookies and maybe pull some business back.

Strange logic Peter,

Wouldn't it be better to have punters as bookies doubling the customer pool.  I don't mean Betfair as there are better systems than Betfair. Racing management should be doing business like linking with tourism, sponsors, marketing,promoting racing assets, exports etc etc. Instead they are focussed on fleecing the last dollar from rapidly deceasing customers.

Thought Gary Woodham gave pretty good answers to the questions asked!

However don't beleive  there were any hard questions that put Gary on the spot regarding the TAB at the moment.

I think that the questions must have been screened as there were none about betting restrictions etc. but Gary would have kicked for touch by saying that it wasn't his expertise or department.

The TAB doesn't really care about punters on NZ racing as they say they lose money on it.

They make the money on sports betting and that is why there are no sports punters that are restricted!!!

15 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Thought Gary Woodham gave pretty good answers to the questions asked!

However don't beleive  there were any hard questions that put Gary on the spot regarding the TAB at the moment.

I think that the questions must have been screened as there were none about betting restrictions etc. but Gary would have kicked for touch by saying that it wasn't his expertise or department.

The TAB doesn't really care about punters on NZ racing as they say they lose money on it.

They make the money on sports betting and that is why there are no sports punters that are restricted!!!

I agree with most of what you say and your right there weren't really any tough questions asked, in fact a lot of people seemed at ask the same question or a similar questions. I disagree with your last comment that there are no restricted sports punters. 

3 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

The "over-management" of betting accounts with limits placed as to what you can bet or win signals one salient fact. It is that the TAB management have no faith in their odds setters. They are intrinsically implying that the smart Punters are far better at nailing a loose price than their own people. This is a serial failure of any betting agency. If you use inferior analysts to set your odds then of course you will be frightened of being taken to the cleaners. This is a defensive ploy when at the very least the TAB should be confident of taking on anyone. "You know the odds, now beat them" - remember that. Seems the TAB have taken this creed and clutched it fearfully to their chest. 

Over here we use one of Australia's top (we would say THE top) analysts when assessing form for stallion purchases. He is the chief analyst for one of the biggest corporate bookies. This is big money country where it could result in an expenditure of up to $40m. We often ask about the potential of a certain colt to win an upcoming major feature and when we get the report it is astonishing the degree of micro analysis this guy produces. Most importantly, it pays off. He is rarely, very rarely wrong. I am sure the NZ TAB has no one with such talent. If they did they would welcome the big punters.

I am not a big punter but my corporate betting agency has someone call me on a regular basis for feedback. If I have been inactive for a few weeks they call and offer me a one-off top up of up to $100. That's free money. I am sure the NZ TAB bookies are doing no such thing. Needless to say my NZ TAB betting account lies empty and idle.Lastly I note the odds are always better with my corporate no matter whether the races are NZ or OZ.   

There were some interesting comments on this PJ...Gary acknowledged that their systems are archaic..so much so that they have little men sitting there, abacus in hand, setting and resetting the odds, while the opposition have sophisticated, computerised systems that are not only faster but more accurate. There will be changes, but these will ( sigh...) take time and not inconsiderable expense.  A whole raft of initiatives have been approved apparently, including Punter rewards, Loyalty programmes etc.

A revamped test TAB layout will be launched in Mt Maunganui and Greerton shortly ( touch screen info etc ) and if successful will be rolled out Nationally.

I thought he was pretty reasonable until the dreaded " we think all the initiatives we are bringing in will result in an extra $50m for distribution to the industry.." comment.  Seem to have heard similar before.....:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, tonkatime said:

I agree with most of what you say and your right there weren't really any tough questions asked, in fact a lot of people seemed at ask the same question or a similar questions. I disagree with your last comment that there are no restricted sports punters. 

Sorry, didn't realise that there were restricted sports punters nowadays.

It must have occurred in the last year as I know a year ago I was advised that there were none then.

The TAB love the sports punters as that is where they are making the dosh

Hopefully they won't outsource the fixed odds to TABCORP as I beleive they may be worse than our TAB if that is possible.

Where there is smoke there is fire!

The truth is they're flying three staff at a time all over the world interviewing their VIP customers at the moment, just wasting our money because they can't get the basics right, and now ( in house ) it's all consultants and reviews before they make a decision on anything.

I noted elsewhere how diabolical they were last night with their international incoming, well here's the evidence.

A chase from the UK scheduled two minutes before a dog race from Australia, no intro for the dog race, then no warning when they spliced it into the chase halfway through.

Just fucking bizarre and it demonstrates how dysfunctional they are. 

Did they seriously think a 2 1/2 mile chase would be over in less than two minutes ??

IMG_6494.PNG

IMG_6495.PNG

54 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Hopefully they won't outsource the fixed odds to TABCORP as I beleive they may be worse than our TAB if that is possible.

Where there is smoke there is fire!

You can not be serious. I use them for 99% of my punting be it racing and sports. I can say they are consistently better than local TAB. To prove my point i punted a quinella today at Methven on advice from a trotting guy whose analysis  is very good. The q paid 7.90 here and 15.10 on Tabcorp. Like wise last nights league test the locals had Ozzies at 1.42 yet Tabcorp was 1.46 in the H2H. Thats 2.8% better.

13 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

You can not be serious. I use them for 99% of my punting be it racing and sports. I can say they are consistently better than local TAB. To prove my point i punted a quinella today at Methven on advice from a trotting guy whose analysis  is very good. The q paid 7.90 here and 15.10 on Tabcorp. Like wise last nights league test the locals had Ozzies at 1.42 yet Tabcorp was 1.46 in the H2H. Thats 2.8% better.

The Oz betting agencies I have used have tighter restrictions on fixed odds for NZ harness racing  and sport.

One of the agencies has just been taken over by William Hill and all,I can get on harness is $250 and then you can't have another go after that, so basically a waste of time.

The sports bets that I tried getting on only gave me $200 and no other opportunity on that same option again.

Not talking about tote betting as I don't touch,it nowadays.

As I previously said "FIXED ODDS"  maximum amounts rather than the odds that they quote!

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

To prove my point i punted a quinella today at Methven on advice from a trotting guy whose analysis  is very good. The q paid 7.90 here and 15.10 on Tabcorp.

Paid $46.20 on Ubet, but only $344 in their pool.

Australians sure are good punters.  Tabcorp had over 8 k in the quinella pool on that race and yhey bet more than 20 k on the trifecta while the New Zealand TAB pool was a pathetic 12 k.  John, Gary and the rest of them basically have no chance.  New Zealand has turned into a country of non punters.  Apart from the people here and a few others, nobody is interested.  The addicts are playing the pokies and it's socially acceptable to play Lotto.  Not many people are interested in racing.  Tell the average person you are interested in racing and they think you have a problem.  I think the only thing that might revive some interest is to have some kind of super large jackpot to play for similar to Powerball.

I could not understand his logic in stripping the newspaper liftouts of all the vital information which many punters loved using. 'We have conducted a survey or 18-25 yr olds and they find too much information confusing so have removed most of it.'  Really? How many 18-25 yr olds read a newspaper or called the radio today? SFA I'd say. Had nothing to do with young people it was more about penny pinching and in doing so you have alienated your core customers . 

30 minutes ago, puha said:

I could not understand his logic in stripping the newspaper liftouts of all the vital information which many punters loved using. 'We have conducted a survey or 18-25 yr olds and they find too much information confusing so have removed most of it.'  Really? How many 18-25 yr olds read a newspaper or called the radio today? SFA I'd say. Had nothing to do with young people it was more about penny pinching and in doing so you have alienated your core customers . 

Puha, you are correct.

Apart from Cup day and possibly Xmas meetings I am not seeing any 18 to 25 year olds oncourse nowadays unless they are stable employees.

At Harness meetings oncourse, it,is the same people week in week out.

There are no new ones getting interested and the ones that want to punt, they are putting off by pathetic divs and short fixed odds!

No new owners or punters coming thru means the industry will die a natural death!

1 hour ago, puha said:

I completely agree, I though that logic was very week. I am in my early thirties and seldom do I buy a news paper (other than when I use to for the racing lift out) as essentially it's paying $2.20 to read yesterdays news that I read on the net. I could see the cost side to his logic but surely a simply middle ground would be to go with the cheaper option during the week but give more comprehensive form for the weekend meetings. 

11 hours ago, Brodie said:

The Oz betting agencies I have used have tighter restrictions on fixed odds for NZ harness racing  and sport.

One of the agencies has just been taken over by William Hill and all,I can get on harness is $250 and then you can't have another go after that, so basically a waste of time.

The sports bets that I tried getting on only gave me $200 and no other opportunity on that same option again.

Not talking about tote betting as I don't touch,it nowadays.

As I previously said "FIXED ODDS"  maximum amounts rather than the odds that they quote!

Interesting, i have over the last year multiple bets over 500 on F/O and never been turned down.

19 hours ago, meomy said:

One thing that particular annoyed us to hear was Des Coppins tell a caller who he was having difficulty hearing with his line to shift position so he could hear him and to call back.

Des there are many who live in areas of New Zealand who are passionate about racing that have been "cut off" from the industry where there's poor cell phone/ and internet coverage because everything has become so "digitally" focused and chances are he was one of those unfortunate people.

Des, How about you make an effort to find out his number through your communications system at Radio Trackside and phone him back live on air and apologise to him and allow him to have his say?

He made an effort to contact your show to speak to Garry Woodham to express whatever his point of view was and should not have been treated in the manner he was.

Ohh and it wasn't that many years ago you were probably carrying a "$1200 brick cell phone" that you also had problems hearing the person on the other end of the line, was it?

Man, you are annoying.