RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Guest 2Admin2

Des Coppins to host Gary Woodham - Questions and Callers Wanted

Guest 2Admin2

On Sunday week, October 16th Des Coppins guest on Tracktalk Nationwide at 10 will be Gary Woodham  General Manager Customer for the NZ Racing Board and he will be taking calls.

Calls will be vetted at the switchboard.......if you're over 90 and in an old people's home you'll get a fair hearing......come in Nerula with that pearler from the roadshow when you demanded they reinstate the racing lift-out because it was " good reading" and you advised John Allen to "invest in the old people, they've got the money" !!!!!!!

1. Have they considered the detrimental effects of severely restricting certain punters on fixed odds, including to ownership. Does he accept that being an owner and having a bet on your horse for many go hand in hand?

2. Are NZRB employees encouraged to be actively involved in the industry through betting, breeding or ownership and are any of them - especially at the upper end of the pay scale (himself included).

3. Is experience is racing ever considered an important factor for employment? 

4. In 5 years how many racemeetings would he expect there to be a year in NZ compared with today?

5. How does he feel about the state of winter racing and the tracks we race on?

6. Has there been talk of or is there any plan of an all weather track? If not why not?

Its a start.

4 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

6. Has there been talk of or is there any plan of an all weather track? If not why not?

You haven't been paying attention Sicko......apparently Nathan Guy told Michael Pitman that there is one at Addington. 

14 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

5. How does he feel about the state of winter racing and the tracks we race on?

Quite seriously, we can race on good tracks all winter at Oamaru, Timaru and Waimate. Since virtually all betting is done off course these days anyhow it would surely be more cost effective to pour money into SI racing during the winter, except for Riccarton of course which is a dog of a winter track. Put $60,000 a week into the south for 12 weeks, which is only $720,000, and it could be much more cost effective than building an all weather track somewhere. The north still has Ruakaka and Te Rapa and the Central Districts has Foxton. Surely most northern trainers would rather spend a few weeks in Timaru than Brisbane.

Theres not enough horses to ground around down south now so where are they going to come from maybe Shaun Cameron could buy another couple of trucks but not sure his liver would survive  ha. Ruakaka is too far North for mist and they don't race at Foxton . You may have too re-evaluate your proposal else we are Doomed! 

7 minutes ago, puha said:

Theres not enough horses to ground around down south now so where are they going to come from maybe Shaun Cameron could buy another couple of trucks but not sure his liver would survive  ha. Ruakaka is too far North for mist and they don't race at Foxton . You may have too re-evaluate your proposal else we are Doomed! 

If you are a NI trainer and for some reason you have a horse going around in July who wants a decent track surely the lure of some $40,000 and $50,000 races would attract you down south. You would hardly target Trentham with such a horse. Cheaper than heading to Queensland,

The Silver Stooge couldn't grill nachos in the oven.

Ask Mr Woodham why a myriad of punters in the harness sector are restricted to $1000 and $2000 collects on fixed odds. These punters are numerous and are now betting on the exchanges instead.

Also ask him why markets open at 135-140% and are still at 130% minutes before race start time.

Finally, ask him why they hate their customers so much?

Relating to sports betting:

1. Why are there numerous a/cs limited to winning(not placing) $250 per bet? - i can confirm there are at least 12 that I know of.

2. In this global age of wagering why does the TAB shut down for 2 hours everyday? Is this just waving the white flag to the competitors?

3. When will the TAB invest in a new betting platform?

There are so many other questions you could ask.

• Loyal NZ punting customers are leaving in droves...can earlier F/F prices, punting incentives like Oz please, from small to large customers be achieved?/by when ? .
  • What are the long/mid/short term (do now) plans to achieve goals he has, to improve the industry product for customers, Facts and time-frames please.

Yeah Nah, they are the sort of sensible questions Des would ask, just looking at it, expecting some answers of substance...BUT

Way too easy to be fobbed off with a load of dribble, which will waste valuable show time.

NO HARM IN TRYING THOUGH! 

10 hours ago, Toblerone said:

The Silver Stooge couldn't grill nachos in the oven.

Ask Mr Woodham why a myriad of punters in the harness sector are restricted to $1000 and $2000 collects on fixed odds. These punters are numerous and are now betting on the exchanges instead.

Also ask him why markets open at 135-140% and are still at 130% minutes before race start time.

Finally, ask him why they hate their customers so much?

Great questions Toblerone.

The answer to the question will be that they are running a business and they need the best returns so they can be returned to the racing clubs!!

Load of bollocks I say!

The TABs business model is stuffed, and they have got no idea on how to make the most profit for the clubs.

The bosses have no qualms in collecting large salaries, but if any punter is winning money, they shut them down.

Pretty fair isn't it!!!!!!

Ask him how much turnover has been lost since the loss of Phone betting. I know of several punters who used to turnover $200 a Saturday that are now either betting offshore or held up the white flag cos they cant use touch tone or cant go to a tab and do not have a computer.

16 minutes ago, ardentbuzz said:

Ask him how much turnover has been lost since the loss of Phone betting. I know of several punters who used to turnover $200 a Saturday that are now either betting offshore or held up the white flag cos they cant use touch tone or cant go to a tab and do not have a computer.

yeah is not only important for the very reasons you state BUT also for times that the TAB watch and bet system closes down and we are

sent scuffling for cell phones/I phones or what ever alternative and switch back 50 years to radio trackside (don,t tell me it,s been for the better)   

48 minutes ago, ardentbuzz said:

Out of interest, how do they bet offshore if they don't have a computer? (Assuming they don't have the interne on a phone or tablet).

1 hour ago, tonkatime said:

Out of interest, how do they bet offshore if they don't have a computer? (Assuming they don't have the interne on a phone or tablet).

Good question. I'm sure if a punter is unable to use touchtone they definitely won't be able to bet offshore, considering they would have to verify there account and have to be able to use the internet to wager. Sounds like they are telling porkies to me. 

29 minutes ago, Leggy said:

If you read ardentbuzz's post he said they are EITHER betting offshore (presumably those that do use the internet) OR quit altogether (those that don't have internet access). At least that's how I read it.

But if you can't use touchtone and have the Internet what's the problem? I just don't think anyone who isn't capable of working touchtone would be able to go thru the hassle of signing up offshore. 

On 27 September 2016 at 8:45 PM, Brodie said:

Great questions Toblerone.

The answer to the question will be that they are running a business and they need the best returns so they can be returned to the racing clubs!!

Load of bollocks I say!

The TABs business model is stuffed, and they have got no idea on how to make the most profit for the clubs.

The bosses have no qualms in collecting large salaries, but if any punter is winning money, they shut them down.

Pretty fair isn't it!!!!!!

They got it right in NSW when they made the corps lay punters to lose a set amount and can't ban winning punters! If it's done there why not here? Time for a class action?

20 hours ago, tonkatime said:

Pretty sure most of the Australian bookies I bet with have a NZ 0800 number you can ring to place bets (not that I use it) and I doubt they care if you ring it from a mobile phone either as they actually want customers ringing them putting bets on....

I'm sure I'm not alone here ( and I won't be divulging the identity of the person in question ) but I've been approached by a high profile salaried member of the NZRB/Trackside staff actively touting for clients on behalf of a global Australian based betting agency.

Surely others must have been approached too.

I declined, but only because I'm too lazy to even learn how to use Betfair and don't really take my punting too seriously.

Does anyone have a recording of this mornings interview between Des Coppins & Garry Woodham?

Some interesting comments were made.

Does anyone know which horses that Garry owned and raced?

We are not surprised to hear that less than half of those that have a TAB account are "active", from recall the figure sits around 72,000.

The rest of the 182,000 more than likely opened an account when one of the "one off promotions involving the Rugby World Cup or Football/ Soccer" have been on and chances are they are not even NZ citizens but were living in NZ at the time and had a bet or three..

A simple letter via NZ Post (to help keep the staff there in employment and maybe even spend some money at the TAB or invest in a horse!), email and a follow up phone call to those whom are not active may help cut marketing costs in the long term or generate interest.

Without the follow up phone calls, try three times is Professional standard practice, to know if these people are worthwhile to still to remain on one's marketing and accounts database, or if maybe they have passed away.

If they are no longer about or interested it's a waste of resources to keep contacting them.

One thing that particular annoyed us to hear was Des Coppins tell a caller who he was having difficulty hearing with his line to shift position so he could hear him and to call back.

Des there are many who live in areas of New Zealand who are passionate about racing that have been "cut off" from the industry where there's poor cell phone/ and internet coverage because everything has become so "digitally" focused and chances are he was one of those unfortunate people.

Des, How about you make an effort to find out his number through your communications system at Radio Trackside and phone him back live on air and apologise to him and allow him to have his say?

He made an effort to contact your show to speak to Garry Woodham to express whatever his point of view was and should not have been treated in the manner he was.

Ohh and it wasn't that many years ago you were probably carrying a "$1200 brick cell phone" that you also had problems hearing the person on the other end of the line, was it?