RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cornelius

NZRB employee experience

This is why I believe in transparency and accountability. 
I would like a public convention to ALL senior management of the NZRB and the NZTR, to ask them questions and have what goals (not forecasts) they want to achieve!
I would like to know how much each senior management are earning and spending!

Maybe its time to name these faceless people who are never seen at the races, but are controlling our industry!

The more I look into the NZRB the more there is little experience in the racing industry. Just look at their backgrounds. Its frightening.
These are just a few I picked out (Bankers, Fonterra, NZ post and even Michael Hill) 
Are these people adding any value to our product? A product by the looks of their experiences,, they know nothing about.
*note: how long these senior management stay in the positions (2-4 year and move on). 

The people in senior management dont care of our industry. Only how it looks on their CV.

Want to add any others? 

Shaun Brooks

Chief Financial Officer, NZRB

October 2015 – Present

Chief Financial Officer
Farmer in the House
February 2015  September 2015 

Chief Financial Officer - Fonterra Brands New Zealand
Fonterra Dairy Group
July 2010  December 2014  

Director - Global Financial Shared Services
Foster's Group Limited
February 2009  July 2010

Stephen Henry

General Manager Services
August 2015 – Present

Chief Operating Officer
New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Trade
June 2012  August 2015

Director
Fourteen Limited
October 2011  June 2012

Head of Transformation/Chief Advisor, Customer Solutions & Services
New Zealand Post Group
November 2010  October 2011

Richard Ellerington

Head of Operations
April 1970 – Present

Barry Osborne
GM TAB Product & Performance
May 2011 – Present

Management Consultant
Self Employed Consultant (Management Housing NZ, Telecom)
2009  2011

Management Consultant
Deloitte
2007  2009

Manager
Michael Hill
2006  2007

General Manager and Director
Hartshead
1996  2005

Emmett Vallender 

Human Resources Advisor
October 2014  April 2016

Human Resourse Advisor
Capital and Coast District Health Board
January 2013  October 2014

Grounds Keeper
Stewart Creek Golf and Country Club
April 2012  October 2012

LIft operator 
Marmot basin
October 2011  March 2012 

Mike Heath
Head of Marketing,
August 2013 – Present (3 years 2 months)

Head of Marketing, Retail Division
Contact Energy Ltd
July 2011  June 2013 (2 years)

General Manager, RaboDirect.co.nz
Rabobank NZ
November 2005  July 2011 (5 years 9 months)

Country Manager
Reuters New Zealand
April 2001  June 2005 (4 years 3 months)

Gary Woodham
General Manager Customer
August 2015 - present

New Zealand Country Manager
Fronde
January 2014  August 2015

Chief Customer Officer
NZ Post
November 2010  January 2014 

CEO
Datam
January 2009  January 2011

Philip O'Connor
Racing Manager/Head of Trading

October 2012 – Present 

Sports Trader
NZ Racing Board
July 2006  September 2012

Contractor
Deutsche Bank
April 2000  August 2003

Contractor
Barclays Capital
October 1998  February 2000

6 hours ago, Cornelius said:

This is why I believe in transparency and accountability. 
I would like a public convention to ALL senior management of the NZRB and the NZTR, to ask them questions and have what goals (not forecasts) they want to achieve!
I would like to know how much each senior management are earning and spending!

Maybe its time to name these faceless people who are never seen at the races, but are controlling our industry!

The more I look into the NZRB the more there is little experience in the racing industry. Just look at their backgrounds. Its frightening.
These are just a few I picked out (Bankers, Fonterra, NZ post and even Michael Hill) 
Are these people adding any value to our product? A product by the looks of their experiences,, they know nothing about.
*note: how long these senior management stay in the positions (2-4 year and move on). 

The people in senior management dont care of our industry. Only how it looks on their CV.

Want to add any others? 

Shaun Brooks

Chief Financial Officer, NZRB

October 2015 – Present

Chief Financial Officer
Farmer in the House
February 2015  September 2015 

Chief Financial Officer - Fonterra Brands New Zealand
Fonterra Dairy Group
July 2010  December 2014  

Director - Global Financial Shared Services
Foster's Group Limited
February 2009  July 2010

Stephen Henry

General Manager Services
August 2015 – Present

Chief Operating Officer
New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Trade
June 2012  August 2015

Director
Fourteen Limited
October 2011  June 2012

Head of Transformation/Chief Advisor, Customer Solutions & Services
New Zealand Post Group
November 2010  October 2011

Richard Ellerington

Head of Operations
April 1970 – Present

Barry Osborne
GM TAB Product & Performance
May 2011 – Present

Management Consultant
Self Employed Consultant (Management Housing NZ, Telecom)
2009  2011

Management Consultant
Deloitte
2007  2009

Manager
Michael Hill
2006  2007

General Manager and Director
Hartshead
1996  2005

Emmett Vallender 

Human Resources Advisor
October 2014  April 2016

Human

Resourse Advisor
Capital and Coast District Health Board
January 2013  October 2014

Grounds Keeper
Stewart Creek Golf and Country Club
April 2012  October 2012

LIft operator 
Marmot basin
October 2011  March 2012 

Mike Heath
Head of Marketing,
August 2013 – Present (3 years 2 months)

Head of Marketing, Retail Division
Contact Energy Ltd
July 2011  June 2013 (2 years)

General Manager, RaboDirect.co.nz
Rabobank NZ
November 2005  July 2011 (5 years 9 months)

Country Manager
Reuters New Zealand
April 2001  June 2005 (4 years 3 months)

Gary Woodham
General Manager Customer
August 2015 - present

New Zealand Country Manager
Fronde
January 2014  August 2015

Chief Customer Officer
NZ Post
November 2010  January 2014 

CEO
Datam
January 2009  January 2011

Philip O'Connor
Racing Manager/Head of Trading

October 2012 – Present 

Sports Trader
NZ Racing Board
July 2006  September 2012

Contractor
Deutsche Bank
April 2000  August 2003

Contractor
Barclays Capital
October 1998  February 2000

Jobs for long time associates by the looks of it.

Maybe someone could draw a flow chart of where all the links are and it will show more clearly who is in bed with who...

It's all relevant at the end of the day as to who is performing and who isn't.

Do they all do psychometric tests?

We know Fonterra used to

5 hours ago, Midget said:

I think you're too focused on individuals when it's really a problem with the organisation.

Think big picture, focus on the big picture.

Midget, if you draw a " pie chart" you will see who eats all the pies wherever they go...they are like sheep n follow one another...well minus the couple of lambs we know that keep getting lost from their mums as they go about their little adventures on the farm..

Just a couple of points - according to the racing act

Reprint as at 1 July 2015

Coat of Arms of New Zealand

Racing Act 2003

14 Performance and efficiency audit(1)

(1)   The Board must, at least once every 5 years, arrange for an audit to be conducted in relation to its performance and efficiency.

Has there been one of these and where do you find the results. 

Also could someone tell me why they get paid a bonus if they are already paid to do the job.

Just asking.

3 hours ago, Justitia said:

Just a couple of points - according to the racing act

Reprint as at 1 July 2015

Coat of Arms of New Zealand

Racing Act 2003

14 Performance and efficiency audit(1)

(1)   The Board must, at least once every 5 years, arrange for an audit to be conducted in relation to its performance and efficiency.

Has there been one of these and where do you find the results. 

Also could someone tell me why they get paid a bonus if they are already paid to do the job.

Just asking.

https://nzracingboard.co.nz/sites/default/files/documents/NZRB-Performance-and-Efficiency-Report-2014.pdf

Some interesting snippets in there Leggy, including :

Financial performance 

The NZRB has maintained its profit performance over the past five years in a more challenging environment, and has enhanced this performance by becoming an operator of class 4 gaming machines

Management is still working on identifying the specific actions (for the 13 key initiatives that were not prioritised for 2013-14) that will deliver the strategic goals set out in its latest SOI. 

Leadership bonus scheme has been introduced to create, for the first time, widespread awareness of the NZRB's key financial target.   ( Huh..??! )

We note the scheme is based on current year NZRB profit rather than specific performance goals or longer term strategy targets.

Explains a lot.

You can almost hear the KPMG people sniffing and going :rolleyes: as they write.....

On 20/09/2016 at 0:54 PM, Ohokaman said:

How you go from a Lift operator and Greens Keeper to a Human Resources role defies belief.

Henry and Woodham are both JA "mate" appointments.

Looking at this it does explain why the Marketing is so crap though.

Those were positions overseas.  Possibly a working holiday.  Don.t know.  He may have trained and or worked in Human Resources before that.  I think this chap left to compete on and win The Block earlier this year.  Probably the most talented and capable person on Cornelius's list. 

28 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

Those were positions overseas.  Possibly a working holiday.  Don.t know.  He may have trained and or worked in Human Resources before that.  I think this chap left to compete on and win The Block earlier this year.  Probably the most talented and capable person on Cornelius's list. 

Presume you are being facetious Bimbo....the backgrounds highlight just what is wrong with the organisation.

18 hours ago, Bimbo said:

17 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Presume you are being facetious Bimbo....the backgrounds highlight just what is wrong with the organisation.

That is exactly, what I was trying to pint out.

IF " there is a thread somewhere with a lot more detail on", please can someone post it. I got sick of the bulls**t qualifications these people had.

The NZRB and the NZTR are both dysfunctional organisations, with people in control of our industry with bulls**t qualifications.

I found this point interesting in the P&E Report Leggy:

"Broadcasting is critical to the conduct of race betting as there is a direct correlation between the broadcasting of a race and the betting turnover on that race." 

I will highlight the words "CRITICAL" and "DIRECT CORRELATION" 

Yet the NZRB in their wisdom have removed racing on Freeview thereby eliminating thousands of viewers.

Worth noting is that in Australia the complete opposite has occurred with Freeview having been introduced.

NZ racing turnover has decreased whereas it has increased in Australia.

This would indicate the sentence from the P&E report is indeed correct.  

On 21/09/2016 at 4:50 PM, Ohokaman said:

No.  I was being serious.  I see nothing wrong with being a lift operator and greenkeeper, then moving onto human resources.  There's not enough information to make a call on this guys suitability for the role, but he spent time with another organisation as a human resource advisor prior to joining NZRB.  Since leaving NZRB he's publicly demonstrated himself to be a competitive type and also a winner.  He was probably too good for the NZRB job.  Just imagine some of these ex postmen trying to compete on something like The Block.

What kind of background do you want the guy to have?  In business I've employed people with years of learning and time in the industry behind them.  Some of these have turned out to be absolute duds.  I've hired people with no industry experience and little specific job related training who have turned out to be superstars.

3 hours ago, Bimbo said:

No.  I was being serious.  I see nothing wrong with being a lift operator and greenkeeper, then moving onto human resources.  There's not enough information to make a call on this guys suitability for the role, but he spent time with another organisation as a human resource advisor prior to joining NZRB.  Since leaving NZRB he's publicly demonstrated himself to be a competitive type and also a winner.  He was probably too good for the NZRB job.  Just imagine some of these ex postmen trying to compete on something like The Block.

What kind of background do you want the guy to have?  In business I've employed people with years of learning and time in the industry behind them.  Some of these have turned out to be absolute duds.  I've hired people with no industry experience and little specific job related training who have turned out to be superstars.

I'd want any employee to have worthwhile, relevant experience in the role FFS..!!!  Comparing this to The Block ??!! Human Resources is an important area of any serious business and you would expect some senior experience in this case. You might take a chance on an unproven, I probably wouldn't. Prefer the odds in my favour. It is an area they have hardly excelled in is it - have a look at the history. Of course, this could just be a rubber stamping role if they are spending thousands on external consultants so perhaps not much needed there. Either way, it tells you a lot about the mentality of the business and how they operate. It also explains the consistent history of failures....