RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nasrullah

Temperament, type,turn of foot, racing ability

I very much agree with Berri.

Sometimes breeders place too much emphasis on pedigree alone and not enough on temperament, type, turn of foot, racing ability.

While I will comment on a few points I will let others add more.

Temperament. Some breeds of racehorses have spent a certain part of their energy before the race has started. Some breeds of horses cannot travel. By travel I mean some can't travel and win by going to another race course or another country. If a horse has the ability to be adapt to new surroundings and win they have to have a good temperament. Some horse breeds can be taught to relax when running in a race, handle stress and learn easily.

Turn of foot. A horse that can run a very fast final sectional has a turn of foot. Others are a bit more one paced and have to race on the speed to win. Example St Reims. Well bred. Raced out in front. Failed as a stallion.

Some European stayers don't race over shorter distances. They sometimes have their first start in a campaign at 2400m unlike in Australia where they might have their first start at 1400 or 1600m. Some European stayers have serious speed .Take Fiorente. He won the Melbourne Cup but also won the Group Two Dato Tan over 1600m, came third in Group One Cox Plate, third in the Group One All Aged Stakes over 1400m. 

Not much new in there nas but agree with your premise. The more I breed the more I focus on stallion proven ness and type... 

Cant really do a pedigree that has been a cross flop thou 

do you think buyers are getting the 20:20 type reports for sales or buying on type and temperament  !

Nasrullah comes under temperament but prolific feeders are high on my list. Top horses have the mental toughness to do their work and have hard races and then put their head into their feed bin and eat EVERYTHING. Very few horses can do this!

I think at the end of the day you look at all three: Pedigree, Type, Performance, I do however know an Australian trainer that has two advisor's one looks purely at pedigree the other on type. As for temperament well some believe a lot of that comes from the mare, even though it is well documented around certain stallions/lines so that is an assessment made on pedigree or knowing said stallion.

This year I have taken pedigree advice from someone I respect and although there were several choices of stallion I have chosen the ones that complement the mares physically but....then the phenotype/genotype equation comes in - complicated really. No magic bullet otherwise every breeder would be producing Group1 winners. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Will add a thought on stallion ability.

Prepotent stallions leave a certain amount of progeny that could race up to the same racing ability that the stallion had.

Hence why I say race ability is very important.

There are not many stallions that leave progeny better than what they were on the race track.

While an injury may have prevented a stallion from showing its best on the race track, I would rather know that a horse had serious ability rather than hoping or guessing.

The best prerequisite based on recent success at stud in NZ has been solid Australian Group One and Group Two form can be very strong also.