RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
biff

Why OZ leaves us for dead!

2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I beg to differ with some of the comments above. I don't think the Aussie female presenters are necessarily all that flash.  I forget whether it was Sydney or Melbourne, but the female on course lady that commented from the bird cage didn't really add all that much. I quite liked the Irish girl that commented on the jumps from Auckland. Sounded like a natural. We do have the talent, just a matter of encouraging them.

She's Welsh...I see others have already commented, didn't see until now....:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

John Allen was interesting. Speaks well enough and well briefed, but probably doesn't know much about racing as such. He sounds like someone who is probably a reasonable manager and front-man but needs to be surrounded by people with racing knowledge.

Has a nice gig with a pay packet close to one million per annum,  Racing knowledge can be picked up pretty easily from this site and countless other sites all for free.  No need to pay course fees, study at a time that suits you.  If you still don't have much racing knowledge after well over a year in the job, it doesn't really seem to matter.  Some people are just born lucky, I guess.

6 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Yep, the good news is that the 50% increase in people costs in the last 5 years is only 8% odd CAGR and they have decided to stop paying senior staff bonuses to mitigate that. Heaven knows what they would have got bonuses for in that period. Nevertheless, the projected  OPEX is for an increase of a similar amount next year. Brilliant. This relies on projections of $16m p.a. from racefields and a similar amount from automation of FOB, both of which seem to be pretty much figments of the imagination at present. Good luck to them.

Good of John to dash in though Leggy...offer plenty of percentages and millions to ruminate over...then dash off again.

Thought Steve was going to choke when JA mentioned "bonuses"....probably got off lightly with that one.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Well, I watched Weigh Inn tonight for the first time due to the timely mention on here. Firstly, I do have some sympathy for them as they don't generally have as high class racing to comment on as their Aussie equivalents. A pretty ordinary meeting at Ellerslie is never going to be as exciting as Melbourne. I thought it was brave of them to have a go at the relegation disgrace.

John Allen was interesting. Speaks well enough and well briefed, but probably doesn't know much about racing as such. He sounds like someone who is probably a reasonable manager and front-man but needs to be surrounded by people with racing knowledge.

Didn't think it was too bad actually WD...certainly better without KFE. 

Reasonably informative, covered the issues and the Formpro Last 600 times a nice initiative.

Last night we heard John Allen quote endless figures on turnover and betting. These are the same figures we constantly hear Greg Purcell quote yet the 2 men work for different organisations. It is similar to the manufacturer of laundry powder quoting figures on the number of washing machines sold annually. Laundry powder should concentrate on the business that is laundry powder not something else.

1 hour ago, Contentious said:

Last night we heard John Allen quote endless figures on turnover and betting. These are the same figures we constantly hear Greg Purcell quote yet the 2 men work for different organisations. It is similar to the manufacturer of laundry powder quoting figures on the number of washing machines sold annually. Laundry powder should concentrate on the business that is laundry powder not something else.

The main focus seems to be how to dry the washing Contentious.

Seems like the only hopeful idea coming from NZTR is for the NZRB to raise distributions, and the only hopeful idea from the NZRB about how to do that is to eliminate senior staff bonuses.

11 hours ago, Contentious said:

Sounds like theyre using a lot of filler

13 hours ago, Leggy said:

The main focus seems to be how to dry the washing Contentious.

Seems like the only hopeful idea coming from NZTR is for the NZRB to raise distributions, and the only hopeful idea from the NZRB about how to do that is to eliminate senior staff bonuses.

Not true.  Last night John said Nathan Guy is giving his support to race field legislation that they think will bring in a whopping $16 million.

8 hours ago, Bimbo said:

Not true.  Last night John said Nathan Guy is giving his support to race field legislation that they think will bring in a whopping $16 million.

The magic word being 'think' Bimbo, from my experience while living overseas, very few were interested in betting on our local domestic product. New markets should be explored, and should have been some time ago.

11 hours ago, biff said:

The magic word being 'think' Bimbo, from my experience while living overseas, very few were interested in betting on our local domestic product. New markets should be explored, and should have been some time ago.

Hard to say exactly how much interest there is in New Zealand racing overseas, but I think it might be a bit more than what you think Biff.  Ubet win pools on gallops get up around 7 k from what I've seen and a fair bit of our commingled pool must be Australian money.  Just look at today's dog races.  Race 12 was the last commingled race.  Last three commingled win pools were Race 10 = 10.5 k, Race 11 = 12.8 k, Race 12 = 9.6 k.  Non-commingled win pools were Race 13 = 3 k, Race 14 = 2.9 k, Race 15 = 1.9 k.  From that you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out whether there's interest overseas or not.

39 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

Hard to say exactly how much interest there is in New Zealand racing overseas, but I think it might be a bit more than what you think Biff.  Ubet win pools on gallops get up around 7 k from what I've seen and a fair bit of our commingled pool must be Australian money.  Just look at today's dog races.  Race 12 was the last commingled race.  Last three commingled win pools were Race 10 = 10.5 k, Race 11 = 12.8 k, Race 12 = 9.6 k.  Non-commingled win pools were Race 13 = 3 k, Race 14 = 2.9 k, Race 15 = 1.9 k.  From that you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out whether there's interest overseas or not.

Sandown was abandoned so that might have helped. Could be an aberration too....

12 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Sandown was abandoned so that might have helped. Could be an aberration too....

The last commingled dog race was at 3:15 pm so it had nothing to do with Sandown.

It's not an aberration.  It's the same every week.  Last week commingled win pools Race 10 = 8.4 k, Race 11 = 7.9 k, Race 12 = 6.9 k.  Non-commingled win pools were Race 13 = 1.4 k, Race 14 = 1.9 k, Race 15 = 2.4 k.

The amount bet with the New Zealand TAB by New Zealand punters is pathetically small.  The Australians are betting more on our races than we are.

13 hours ago, Bimbo said:

The last commingled dog race was at 3:15 pm so it had nothing to do with Sandown.

It's not an aberration.  It's the same every week.  Last week commingled win pools Race 10 = 8.4 k, Race 11 = 7.9 k, Race 12 = 6.9 k.  Non-commingled win pools were Race 13 = 1.4 k, Race 14 = 1.9 k, Race 15 = 2.4 k.

The amount bet with the New Zealand TAB by New Zealand punters is pathetically small.  The Australians are betting more on our races than we are.

Aussie punters would bet on flies on the wall.

Maybe Kiwi punters are a bit smarter and leaving them alone, particularly midweek ? :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Aussie punters would bet on flies on the wall.

Maybe Kiwi punters are a bit smarter and leaving them alone, particularly midweek ? :rolleyes:

Yeah Ohokaman that's must be what's behind the small pools.   We've got loads of punters with plenty of money to bet with, but they've all wised up and realised that it's not good betting midweek.  They're probably all on Sofia Rosa at $18 for Saturday.  $18 is just disgraceful, it's $31 with Sportsbet.