RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
biff

Why OZ leaves us for dead!

This morn after stables I find myself watching ''On The Lounge' a great chat show about Aussie racing on Trackside 1. This show hosted by 20 somethings, is bright, breezy and informative. They know their stuff, the producers are going to the next level to attract the younger gen to 'tune in'.........this is what is needed, plaudits to them, they are streets ahead of us, their marketing is targeted and well thought out. Do yourselves a favour, have a bo peep when you can, it's bloody marvellous, the only way this industry will survive is by seducing the younger brigade with the romance of racing, I love seeing them enjoying themselves raceday, pissheads aside, when you go racing at Newmarket/Ascot/Windsor et al in the UK there is something about the crowds, they embrace the horse first, partying after the last.......

I hope to hell Mr Purcell, and those at the racing board have a look at how to do this, get youngies through the gate, by introducing a racing show via visible media at an attractive time and using our better younger presenters and inviting younger interviewees, making the content relevant to younger people and in general being positive, then and only then will racing in this country have a future, cos, no matter how much we at the coal face whinge, without people going through the gates and getting to a keyboard to invest through the totes, and this has to be driven by excitement and interest, will racing not only survive but grow, and surely that's the end game.

7 hours ago, biff said:

using our better younger presenters

I couldn't think of one that you could use from Trackside.  Jayne Ivil's presentation style would suit a younger audience, but that's preschoolers not people in their twenties.

I watched On The Lounge today and thought it was really well done and quite entertaining.  The problem is getting your target audience to watch it.  Maybe put it on a pop up channel or stick it in with the infomercials for vacuum cleaners and bamboo pillows. etc.  No need to worry John, Trish and Andy probably have everything worked out already. 

Duly noted Bimbo, mind my comment, ''attractive time'' a good professional marketing co will know when to schedule and it may well be on a Thur night or a Wed night even, leading into the coming Sat........and it would take time, great things don't happen overnight according to Rach, but they do happen. The presenter of OTL is Jaimee Rogers, she has fronted the NSW TAB for yonks, doing all their promo ads and events etc, high profile, attractive and knowledgable, she is also the ambassador for Aquanita Racing.......OTL by the way screens in Oz on TUE nights at 7pm, repeated at 9pm........here's a chance for our Petone Boffins to hop on board and plagiarise away.

1 minute ago, We're Doomed said:

I haven't seen the Aussie show you refer to, but surely that girl Liz who speaks well on Trackside could easily do something like that. Looks the part too.

You are kidding WD...??!! Speaks well ??!! We are not aiming at primary kids...You are easily pleased fella....:rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Interesting comment. Each to their own of course, but I happen to think she is the class act on Trackside.

Elizabeth would probably be the only one I would consider for such a show.  The way she pronounces words like 'today' seems to bother some people, but it doesn't worry me.  I think she does a great job on Dogzone.  Emily Murphy has come a long way since she started on Trackside, but I don't know if she would qualify as either a punter or tipster.  Should be off back to Hong Kong soon anyway with a bit of luck.

36 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Interesting comment. Each to their own of course, but I happen to think she is the class act on Trackside.

As I say...easily pleased. A pretty low bar set if she is the "class act "....then again, the alternatives aren't brilliant either...

Although off topic however still under the same banner, Sat prizemoney in Sydney is to go up to 100k min therefore our racing here will equal picnic status across the pond. They pay 1k back to 10th, and 200 bucks starters bonus, guys/gals as we say/said in Oz Land, ''somethings crook in Tallarook'........I'm sure ex-pat GP would be au-fait with that saying.

It's interesting that so many of you seem disenchanted with Trackside presenters, can't really say they bother me that much but I tend to look at them as being a bit like the rest of us, just battlers and indicative of the industry, and as long as they're not completely stupid like Jayne Ivil I tend to switch off and ignore them, now, having got that preamble out of the way let me ask a question or two.

Should presenters be

1) catering for existing customers, average age 71 ?  

or 2) trying to entice newer and younger customers with mainstream appeal ?

If it's 1 should the presenter be expected to have great knowledge and to add value to the industry ?

If it's 2 should they be young, vibrant, charismatic, have X factor, mass market appeal, and be entertaining ?

Examples of existing presenters who fit either category would be interesting given that we all see each individual differently, and please don't turn this into a KFE slag fest, I quite like her.

53 minutes ago, Midget said:

It's interesting that so many of you seem disenchanted with Trackside presenters, can't really say they bother me that much but I tend to look at them as being a bit like the rest of us, just battlers and indicative of the industry, and as long as they're not completely stupid like Jayne Ivil I tend to switch off and ignore them, now, having got that preamble out of the way let me ask a question or two.

Should presenters be

If it's 1 should the presenter be expected to have great knowledge and to add value to the industry ?

If it's 2 should they be young, vibrant, charismatic, have X factor, mass market appeal, and be entertaining ?

Examples of existing presenters who fit either category would be interesting given that we all see each individual differently, and please don't turn this into a KFE slag fest, I quite like her.

They are there primarily to educate, inform and generate turnover Midget. Pretty simple you would think. I take no notice of any of them, and without wishing to appear sexist, whenever the females are on, the mute button comes into play. They have no credibility and I doubt achieve any of the objectives in that first line. Any moron can state the bleeding obvious.

One question I've always had is why there are no ex-Jockeys, or indeed trainers on the local shows ? Look at the insights you get from Richard Freedman, Ron Dufficy, Bernie Cooper and co on the Oz shows. Same with the experienced players on "Get On". Clearly that new show "On the Lounge" is aimed at the younger viewer, but again, it has seasoned professional journalists and a female jockey as part of the panel. Hiring young things here may be PC, but without serious credibility they are wasting their time.

As for KFE, she may be a nice lady but has had her time for mine.

35 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

I see "Weigh Inn" is on tonight at 7.30pm. Trying a new time slot obviously.

If you are a fan of Sweeney, Tan and Davis, then have a look. Think they will need more than a new time slot somehow.....:rolleyes:

Isn't John Allen on that show tonight as well? That should be enlightening, n0?

2 hours ago, Midget said:

Should presenters be

I'll take option 2 please, as for KFE, I've only been in the country 18 months, but to me there is a lady that has reached her use by date, and by that I mean too many conflicts of interests, I'm no misogynist, far from it, bring on a lady presenter, maybe someone like Kim Clapperton, offer her a great salary, I mean Oz has so many experienced women, ex jocks, that can talk well, know their horses, can analyse well, so what gives here?.......doesn't need to be female, but you get my drift surely.

Perhaps there's a difference re the "Who's hiring?". For example, I think that in Oz the likes of Bernadette Cooper are employed by Sky Racing. They are not employed by RQ or RNSW. Not sure who employs the NZ Presenters ? NZRB/NZTR ? The TAB ?

12 minutes ago, Trump said:

Perhaps there's a difference re the "Who's hiring?". For example, I think that in Oz the likes of Bernadette Cooper are employed by Sky Racing. They are not employed by RQ or RNSW. Not sure who employs the NZ Presenters ? NZRB/NZTR ? The TAB ?

All racing media needs to be separated from TAB betting operations. One of the main reasons is that advertisers in general don't wish to associate with gambling but will support racing particularly the social and practical side of the industry.

I beg to differ with some of the comments above. I don't think the Aussie female presenters are necessarily all that flash.  I forget whether it was Sydney or Melbourne, but the female on course lady that commented from the bird cage didn't really add all that much. I quite liked the Irish girl that commented on the jumps from Auckland. Sounded like a natural. We do have the talent, just a matter of encouraging them.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

They are NZRB employees.

14 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I beg to differ with some of the comments above. I don't think the Aussie female presenters are necessarily all that flash.  I forget whether it was Sydney or Melbourne, but the female on course lady that commented from the bird cage didn't really add all that much. I quite liked the Irish girl that commented on the jumps from Auckland. Sounded like a natural. We do have the talent, just a matter of encouraging them.

Emily Farr that would be--think she is Welsh. As for Oz female presenters, Jo McKinnon is a star.I recently flew back from overseas and watched an excellent horse-racing doco presented by Jo called "A Racetrack Somewhere" which chronicled King Island, Kangaroo Island, Warrnambool, Birdsville and Darwin racetracks and local personalities. Well worth a look on You-Tube.

Well, I watched Weigh Inn tonight for the first time due to the timely mention on here. Firstly, I do have some sympathy for them as they don't generally have as high class racing to comment on as their Aussie equivalents. A pretty ordinary meeting at Ellerslie is never going to be as exciting as Melbourne. I thought it was brave of them to have a go at the relegation disgrace.

John Allen was interesting. Speaks well enough and well briefed, but probably doesn't know much about racing as such. He sounds like someone who is probably a reasonable manager and front-man but needs to be surrounded by people with racing knowledge.

Yep, the good news is that the 50% increase in people costs in the last 5 years is only 8% odd CAGR and they have decided to stop paying senior staff bonuses to mitigate that. Heaven knows what they would have got bonuses for in that period. Nevertheless, the projected  OPEX is for an increase of a similar amount next year. Brilliant. This relies on projections of $16m p.a. from racefields and a similar amount from automation of FOB, both of which seem to be pretty much figments of the imagination at present. Good luck to them.