RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Paddymc

Bullbars as a sire - thoughts

Seems like it has been a pretty good week for Bullbars.  His first crop of 40 foals are three this season.

At the Avondale trials this week, he had three starters in the maiden heats over 800m and they all won; by 6.5lgths, 2.5 lgths and 1.5lgths. They we all convincing.LetLQOrV0vw?t=519qaiKjIohpms?t=206AvJyIUuEsCE?t=212

Then on Thursday, Sicario (Grp1 placed in last years Sires Produce at Awapuni) became the Busuttin/Young teams second Australian winner, the margin three lgths over 1,200m and is being aimed at the Grp1 Caulfield Guineas;racingcom-park-syn

Also nominated for the Caulfield Guineas is Mongolianlightning - 8.5l winner on debut at Matamata.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Bullbars - the majority look like they need a little time - but at $6k, he looks like he produces runners with a turn of foot?

Paddymc chunky is a similar term to short coupled. Refers to horses who are compact and shorter in length than other types of horses. These types are usually very muscular. The opposite are the long, tall and lean types. For an example of that type of horse just look at any Nom Du Jeu!

Paddymc there is a school of thought that chunky types possess more fast twitch muscles hence they tend to be sprinters.By contrast it is theorised that the long, tall and lean types possess more slow twitch muscles so tend to be stayers. I would like feedback from others about whether these theories are true or a load of bollocks?! Paddymc you never stop learning in this game! I prefer racing stayers but if I was after a sprinter Bullbars on type would be high on my list!

7 hours ago, gubellini said:

Paddymc there is a school of thought that chunky types possess more fast twitch muscles hence they tend to be sprinters.By contrast it is theorised that the long, tall and lean types possess more slow twitch muscles so tend to be stayers. I would like feedback from others about whether these theories are true or a load of bollocks?! Paddymc you never stop learning in this game! I prefer racing stayers but if I was after a sprinter Bullbars on type would be high on my list!

I think it's 'bollocks' but that's just me, I'm lucky, i had a bit to do with some good Gr1 sprinters, although most were short coupled a few were more in the staying mould confirmation wise, with a massive overstep, so go figure? One thing though, all the Gr1 horses I was privileged to work with were massive eaters,and that's the no 1 requirement.

Whoa bit of a reality check for the two Bullbars fillies in Race One at Avondale today. Madam Bullbars refused to enter the gates and was late scratched. Well fancied Lady Bullbars looked decidedly on edge at the start sweating up badly. Never in the hunt running 8/10. Mmm!

30 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Whoa bit of a reality check for the two Bullbars fillies in Race One at Avondale today. Madam Bullbars refused to enter the gates and was late scratched. Well fancied Lady Bullbars looked decidedly on edge at the start sweating up badly. Never in the hunt running 8/10. Mmm!

To be fair its a Heavy10 at Avondale!, she wasn't the only highly thought of 3yo to disappoint in the race.

The stallion has however only had 12 runners to the races with 3 winners of which 2 are stakes placed, El Sicario has been very disappointing in his 2 starts after clearing maidens in Victoria after looking promising.

Will be a while before you can get an accurate gage on Bullbars due to lack of runners/numbers, and numbers wise he isn't going to improve until he kicks goals on the track so definitely a wait and see prospect 

Bullbars sire Elusive Quality has been a bit hit and miss as has some of his sire sons.

However Bullbars dam Accessories by Singspiel has been truly exceptional. The second dam is equally as good and is by Mill Reef.

The one I pick to do well is Epaulette. An top class racehorse.He is by Commands.

There have been a few people that blow up trial winners into something big but the real test is stakes races. Bullbars still a chance when the tracks get firmer and there are other stallions who are at the same stage have hit a very flat patch and may not bounce back. 

Arion pedigrees stallion roster always tells a more real and honest situation than what some people present.

El Sicario has been very disappointing but as I mentioned in the Exceed and Excel post previously even a NZ Group One placed 2yo at 1200m are up against the mighty Aussie sprinters.

Get certain NZ bred horses to a mile and we get there and then even better at 2000m plus.

Like all stallions this guy needs runners, he doesn't seem to have a lot hitting the ground at present or even at the sales for that matter(although 4 in the R2R I see).

Most of the ones I've seen look a leaner leggier type so perhaps they'll take time?

I'd love one , liked him since he first came to NZ and still reckon he is a good chance.