RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Was reading the obituary for the great bob Skelton in the paper yesterday and was surprised to read he named lilt as the best sprinter he rode.I rode her in her first 2 races.and it was quite a story at the time.I was apprentice to Ray Bain in Hastings and we got this big strong faux tirage filly built like the perverbial brick s house.I climbed on at her first trial at Hastings and  walking around the bird cage she spotted our other 2yold playing up so decided she would too.I found myself sailing through the air when she bucked me off.Managed to get back on and completed the assignment of a 400 mtr dash down the straight.her 2nd trial was at Woodville and bugs decided to put John Panapa on her as he was obviously less valuable than me at the time.She bounced out and then threw him over the outside fence.I was given the ride for her first race at Woodville where Barry Percell and his boys finally got her in the barrier after much pushing and shoving.Cant remember much of the race but she did run 2nd.Her next start was at Hastings where I rode her again.The barriers were overhead unlike the caddy stalls at Woodville and she would have nothing to do with them.In those days if a horse wouldn't go in it was sent to the outside of the stalls which is what happened.you had to stand at least half a length behind.after they jumped she took off and I was in front in half a furlong and duelly won on her ear.next day we are at the barriers.Bugs had a bull prodder and I was hoping like hell he wouldn't hit her with it.We finally got her in and he hit her with it as the gates opened.Instead of jumping she kicked the back gate clean off.Her next start was at Trentham and RJ was given the ride as Buggsy favourite saying was I can get Grenville for the same price as you.Fair enough I suppose.She dually won her next three with Bob on and became one of our best sprinters 

Lindsay...your memories and connection to a wonderful sprinting  mare Lilt  are amazing .

Thank you for your contribution to my Sunday evening,

Others like you, Lindsay, should be a weekly feature in Dennis Ryan's INFORMANT.

"The untold Stories behind what actually happened "

Earl Harrison and his time in Mauritiiis ,

George Lawson,The stipe who believed DJ  had an "advantage":

Ray Clever who constructed that well known "false" start at Te Rapa.

The Wonderful Frank Wilson  with Johnathon R and High Rank in the days before blood typing.

Alan Jones and the one eyed Derby winner,who should not have been allowed to race in NZ.

Lester Piggott , before riding Sailing Home in the Te Rapa Internation

Piggot  came to RockField Stud at Matamata ( Bill and Beet Holmes ), to see Blue Carnation who he had won on,

in England and really rated. The Crepello sire  line was so hot at that time

.... Blue Carnation was a liver chest nut and Lester mumbled ..." that's not Blue Carnation ."

No lip tatoos or brands for our Stallion imports in those days all financed By Wrightson Bloodstock and Peter Kelly,

slam dunk Lilt and Starlit were not related. Lilt won 10 from 19 and was more brilliant. Her best 1200m time was 1.8.75. Her biggest win was the 1973 Railway. Starlit won 7 from 30 starts. Her best 1200m time was 1.10.25. Her biggest win was the 1965 Telegraph.

i have a super8 film of lilt winning the fitzherbert hp at trentham as a 2yo also lj carston finishing 2nd behind sharivari in the telegraph...musta been the consolation prize lindsay lol

2 hours ago, elbow said:

i have a super8 film of lilt winning the fitzherbert hp at trentham as a 2yo also lj carston finishing 2nd behind sharivari in the telegraph...musta been the consolation prize lindsay lol

I thought that Lilt ran 3rd in the Telegraph.......

Ted correct. Lindsay rode Notorious to run second to Sharivari in the 1971 Telegraph.He also finished second in the 1973 Telegraph on Blue Nile beaten by half a head by Sharif ridden by Noel Harris.Lilt ran third in the 1972 Telegraph behind Count Kereru. David Peake rode her that day.

Seeing Count Kereru mentioned brings back memories for me. I was a Telegram Delivery Boy in Hastings and one day I was asked to deliver a telegram to an address in Hastings. When I got there the lady who answered the door said she cant see very well so asked me to open the telegram and read it too her. It was from Woodville and this is exactly what it said " C Kereru Trentham" and it was signed Gee Gee. The lady said I wonder what that means and because I was brought up in racing I explained to her "oh that will be the horse Count Kereru racing at Trentham on Saturday, and then when she realised I knew what it was all about she tried to talk me out of it. I jumped on the bus at Hastings on Saturday morning to head down to Trentham (was going down anyway). At the time I was earning $11.70 per week so didnt have a lot of money to take with me and of course didnt even think about taking the field in the first leg with Count Kereru in the 2nd leg. First leg was Simon de Monfort (paying $182) and of course Count Kereru won the 2nd leg The Telegraph paying $30 to Win and the double paid $2,072 from memory. What hurt the most was that by the time the Telegraph came around I had no money left so didnt have a brass razoo on Count Kereru... I remember delivering the Telegram like it was yesterday and will remember it until I'm gone.

53 minutes ago, Ponderosa8 said:

Seeing Count Kereru mentioned brings back memories for me. I was a Telegram Delivery Boy in Hastings and one day I was asked to deliver a telegram to an address in Hastings. When I got there the lady who answered the door said she cant see very well so asked me to open the telegram and read it too her. It was from Woodville and this is exactly what it said " C Kereru Trentham" and it was signed Gee Gee. The lady said I wonder what that means and because I was brought up in racing I explained to her "oh that will be the horse Count Kereru racing at Trentham on Saturday, and then when she realised I knew what it was all about she tried to talk me out of it. I jumped on the bus at Hastings on Saturday morning to head down to Trentham (was going down anyway). At the time I was earning $11.70 per week so didnt have a lot of money to take with me and of course didnt even think about taking the field in the first leg with Count Kereru in the 2nd leg. First leg was Simon de Monfort (paying $182) and of course Count Kereru won the 2nd leg The Telegraph paying $30 to Win and the double paid $2,072 from memory. What hurt the most was that by the time the Telegraph came around I had no money left so didnt have a brass razoo on Count Kereru... I remember delivering the Telegram like it was yesterday and will remember it until I'm gone.

Ah...memories eh Ponderosa..? I was there that day and had a decent double with Suttle and the Count.

Bloody Simon de M spoiled the day....New Moon was red hot in the Telegraph and got run over.

biff New Moon and Lilt raced against each other twice.In the 1972 Telegraph Lilt ran third and New Moon was unplaced. They had a great battle at Hastings over 6f on a heavy track on 15/4/72. New Moon beat Lilt by half a length in 1.17.4. New Moon carried 8.1 and was ridden by Des Harris. Lilt carried 8.8 and was ridden by Bob Skelton.

7 hours ago, gubellini said:

biff New Moon and Lilt raced against each other twice.In the 1972 Telegraph Lilt ran third and New Moon was unplaced. They had a great battle at Hastings over 6f on a heavy track on 15/4/72. New Moon beat Lilt by half a length in 1.17.4. New Moon carried 8.1 and was ridden by Des Harris. Lilt carried 8.8 and was ridden by Bob Skelton.

Thanks for that Gubellini, you are a font!

A little off topic however maybe Gubellini will help? I have a vague recollection of the great Lester Piggot riding at Waverley?......if my memory is not kaput I thought he had a birdcage tumble that day. Am I on drugs?

sorry guys,...going well off subject here BUT it,s been annoying the crap out of me.

Big divs like Simon De Montforts $180 a win are rare these days but I do recall another over $200 shot winner in one of the TAB Double legs

20/30/40 years back and ....(hang on)....   It just come to me ...PAYCO.

I just googled, and it won the manawatu cup...was that the race or have I got it completely F***** up, and was another horse altogether?

14 hours ago, biff said:

A little off topic however maybe Gubellini will help? I have a vague recollection of the great Lester Piggot riding at Waverley?......if my memory is not kaput I thought he had a birdcage tumble that day. Am I on drugs?

Never had Lester but the local Jaycees did have Tina Turner fly in by helicopter onto the track . Direct from a "nightspot" in Wellington.