RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Peter Jenkins

Spring Trans-Tasman Super Comp Results Thread

THE TABLE - after Round 1

1st 3 Chiefs 1114.20

2nd 3 Kauri Kats 442.00

3rd 2 Turbos 959.00

4th 2 Sharks 928.00

5th 2 Blues 921.00

6th 1 Hurricanes 971.40

7th 1 Crusaders 445.40

8th 0 Magpies 1053.20

9th 0 Ferdies 923.00

10th 0 Barbarians 894.40

STATS

Best Scores
525.80 Sarah M 

412.00 Jack

407.40 Maria

402.00 Gruff

305.00 Porky

Worst Scores 

37.00 Ray

30.00 Tom

18.00 Jenlove

0.00 Pam

0.00 Mr Gee

Most Wins

6 Jack

6 Sarah M

5 Porky

5 Bryan

5 Gordy

5 Geoff

5 Maria

5 Ian

5 Pogo

Most quinellas

2 Sarah M

2 Alan

Biggest Winning Margin
407.40 Maria

79.00 Howie

Narrowest Winning Margin

0.00 Pam (on count-back)

0.00 Mr Gee

Highest Losing Score

286.20 Rex

Lowest Winning Score
0.00 Pam

ROUND 2 DRAW - Sat Sep 3

Meetings wil be Ellerslie, Wanganui, Moonee Valley & Randwick

THE CRUSADERS (7th) vs THE CHIEFS (1st)

Mr Gee v Jack

Tom v Catalano

Richie v Casper

Rob v Ian

Alan v Sylvia

THE TURBOS (3rd) vs THE BLUES (5th)

Moose v Gordy

Sir Gallivant v Geoff

Porky v Brian

Punter Pete v Howie

Viceroy v Pete

THE FERDIES (9th) vs THE KAURI KATS (2nd)

PJ v Jenlove

Heather v Pam

Maurice v Sarah

Bryan v Sharne

Nekky v Graeme

THE MAGPIES (8th) vs THE SHARKS (4th)

Sarah M v Pogo

Ray v Mark

Damion v Craig

Jason v Gruff

Steve v Rees

THE HURRICANES (6th) vs THE BARBARIANS (10th)

Cam v Steve P

John v Sir Castleton

Maria v Kay

The Crucible v Wrinkles

Hesi v Cubes

19 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Yay SarahMc.. you broodmare you ;) ..   show them how it's done! :)

Great first week to the comp... on we roll.. :)

Yip growing well and the bump has obviuosly improved her tipping skills!!!

Watching Mickey Mouse with Sam has its advantages with her long priced best bet :D

Just for the sake of transparency and this is aimed at no one in particular, the team and player draws are free of any input or interference by me. The team draws are made by a random team draw generator while the individual match draws are made by a random generation system also. If you are especially curious message me and I will describe it in detail. I literally have no input. The selection of races each week however is entirely my creation although even with this I have a set system and list of criteria to which I adhere.

I am always amazed by the curiosities and "who-would-have-thought" moments that happen in these comps such as last weekend when the two people who scored zero just happened to draw each other. The odds of them drawing each other are 1 in 49 but then compute in the odds of them both scoring the same score (John, help needed please !) and then add in the likelihood of that same score being zero !

Sorry Peter, I wasn't inferring you "set it up", completely tongue in cheek, as I am aware it is random, but "who would have thought". No doubt Ziggy will spend some time on his picking this week ,as we have a rivalry stemming back to our golfing days. I can feel the crosshairs on my forehead already.:(

7 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

I am always amazed by the curiosities and "who-would-have-thought" moments that happen in these comps such as last weekend when the two people who scored zero just happened to draw each other. The odds of them drawing each other are 1 in 49 but then compute in the odds of them both scoring the same score (John, help needed please !) and then add in the likelihood of that same score being zero !

Using the stats from the round robin portion of the winter comp, we had 672 sets of picks (48 entrants for 14 weeks) which is not a bad sample size.  Of those 672 sets of picks, 25 of them recorded a score of zero.  

Based on that sample data the probability of a single entrant scoring zero is 3.72% or around 1 in 27.  The probability of opponents in any match both scoring zero is therefore 0.14% or around 1 in 722.  With 25 matches in any week the probability of having a match with a Nil-Nil score is around 3.5% or 1 in 28.

Of course those probabilities are for the population in general.  Based on Winter Comp stats the probability of Mr Gee and Pam having a nil-nil draw was a lot higher - of the 25 instances of Nil recorded in the Winter Comp round robin, Mr Gee and Pam had two each.   Based on that small sample size for these two you'd say they're both a 1 in 7 chance to score Nil, so 1 in 49 to both score nil in the same match.

2 hours ago, N1MUE said:

Using the stats from the round robin portion of the winter comp, we had 672 sets of picks (48 entrants for 14 weeks) which is not a bad sample size.  Of those 672 sets of picks, 25 of them recorded a score of zero.  

Based on that sample data the probability of a single entrant scoring zero is 3.72% or around 1 in 27.  The probability of opponents in any match both scoring zero is therefore 0.14% or around 1 in 722.  With 25 matches in any week the probability of having a match with a Nil-Nil score is around 3.5% or 1 in 28.

Of course those probabilities are for the population in general.  Based on Winter Comp stats the probability of Mr Gee and Pam having a nil-nil draw was a lot higher - of the 25 instances of Nil recorded in the Winter Comp round robin, Mr Gee and Pam had two each.   Based on that small sample size for these two you'd say they're both a 1 in 7 chance to score Nil, so 1 in 49 to both score nil in the same match.

I lost you at the bakery John :huh:

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 7:25 PM, N1MUE said:

Holy Donald Trump toupees batman!! John you surely must of went to Penrose high to talk that school 'c' maths lingo..!! & boy that tuck shop had the yummiest pies & chocolate doughnut's :D

On 8/30/2016 at 5:25 PM, N1MUE said:

John what were the average and mean scores from the 672 sets of tips ?

20 hours ago, mooseman said:

Holy Donald Trump toupees batman!! John you surely must of went to Penrose high to talk that school 'c' maths lingo..!! & boy that tuck shop had the yummiest pies & chocolate doughnut's :D

Next time you drive past Penrose High School you will see it is now One Tree Hill College and has been since 2013. Given it's reputation I suppose they had to do something :)

6 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

John what were the average and mean scores from the 672 sets of tips ?

Average was $224 - equivalent to an average loss of around 15% which is what you'd expect with a sample of that size, given the TAB takeouts on Win and quinella pools.

Median was lower at $195.5 - a few outlying scores at the high end helped to push up the average.  

Mean & average were the same thing at my college (and it wasn't much flasher than Penrose High by the sounds of it).

1 hour ago, LastOf40 said:

Next time you drive past Penrose High School you will see it is now One Tree Hill College and has been since 2013. Given it's reputation I suppose they had to do something :)

Buggers forever changing things on us .(wheres the bloody tree..!)..... change sux - bring back the old days where you could throw your son a dollar and he would put his own bet on at the races:)

4 hours ago, N1MUE said:

Average was $224 - equivalent to an average loss of around 15% which is what you'd expect with a sample of that size, given the TAB takeouts on Win and quinella pools.

Median was lower at $195.5 - a few outlying scores at the high end helped to push up the average.  

Mean & average were the same thing at my college (and it wasn't much flasher than Penrose High by the sounds of it).

Mean and average pretty much describe the Marist Brothers who taught me at Marcellin College:lol:

Shame for the young fella riding Our King Sway ...first race win but clearly gonna be tipped out for cleaning up the favourite Platinum Command earlier in the run home. Platinum Command storms home once balanced up wider out ...one of them there certainty beats that confirms for me why I would never consider being a professional punter.

ROUND 2

Race 1 - Ellerslie R2

1st - 5 Zorrali W-$7.30

2nd - 3 Platinum Command Q-$6.30

scr: 4

1 THE CRUSADERS (7th) 158.60

1 THE CHIEFS (1st) 85.60

Tom (with a quinella) and Rob score for the Cantabs but so does Rob's opponent Ian who snags the quinella to tie it up after one.

0.00 Mr Gee

0.00 Jack

85.60 Tom

0.00 Catalano

0.00 Richie

0.00 Casper

73.00 Rob

85.60 Ian

0.00 Alan

0.00 Sylvia

1 THE TURBOS (3rd) 85.60

2 THE BLUES (5th) 231.60

Sir G gets The Turbos underway but a BB for Gordy and a quinella for Howie ensure an early Auks advantage.

0.00 Moose 

146.00 Gordy

85.60 Sir Gallivant

0.00 Geoff

0.00 Porky

0.00 Brian

0.00 Punter Pete

85.60 Howie

0.00 Viceroy

0.00 Pete

1 THE FERDIES (9th) 85.60

2 THE KAURI KATS (2nd) 231.60

Heather gets the 'Naki off the mark with a quinella but Sharne (quinella also and Graeme) hand the early lead to The Kats.

0.00 PJ 

0.00 Jenlove

85.60 Heather

0.00 Pam

0.00 Maurice

0.00 Sarah

0.00 Bryan

85.60 Sharne

0.00 Nekky

146.00 Graeme

0 THE MAGPIES (8th) 73.00

1 THE SHARKS (4th) 146.00

Opponents Jason & Gruff make a winning start but so does Sharkie Rees to give his side the early edge.

0.00 Sarah M

0.00 Pogo

0.00 Ray

0.00 Mark

0.00 Damion

0.00 Craig

73.00 Jason

73.00 Gruff

0.00 Steve

73.00 Rees

2 THE HURRICANES (6th) 402.80

1 THE BARBARIANS (10th) 256.80

Wrinkles (with a BB) and Kay kick off with quinellas for the Barbarians morning but all the Hurricanes bar Cam find the promoted winner with Hesi and TC adding the quinella while The Crucible doubled up with a BB. Hurricanes lead with a nice aggregate for them also.

0.00 Cam

0.00 Steve P

73.00 John

0.00 Sir Castleton

73.00 Maria

85.60 Kay

171.20 The Crucible

171.20 Wrinkles

85.60 Hesi

0.00 Cubes