RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Winx Terrific

2 hours ago, pogo(aus) said:

clearly a superior racehorse to black sardine

outstanding mare.

Wasnt the sardine clocked near 72 km hr at flemington? if winx and the sardine were handy on one of the sardines typical 1400m setups give me the sardine over the final 200m  anyday

Good win yesterday at Caulfield, another group 1 in the bag, shame a small field for 600k, interesting time all the same 2.03.4, , think the maidens and rating 75s went quicker at reefton at  their last January meeting, food for thought i guess, that reefton track sure is quick. All the same what a top horse and a amazing record, and out of a nz mare.

3 hours ago, Shad said:

out of a nz mare.

Vegas Showgirl was by the Aussie stallion Al Akbar - his mum and dad were American and Irish.

Her mum was Vegas Magic by an American sire out of a NZ mare

Great grand parents were USA/GB/FR

so Winx, God bless her, could be considered an international mare.  

Let's admire how wonderful she is for herself and not who has the greater claim to her brilliance.

2 hours ago, Irish said:

Vegas Showgirl was by the Aussie stallion Al Akbar - his mum and dad were American and Irish.

Let's admire how wonderful she is for herself and not who has the greater claim to her brilliance.

Thanks for the breeding history, she sure has a international flavour in her bloodlines and is top mare.

Interesting article......

TIMEFORM RATINGS SAY WINX LOOK OUT

The record reads three-nil in favour of Winx over Hartnell but the manner in which the latter has improved would suggest a fourth victory over the Godolphin galloper may not be that easy for the wonder mare.

When they last met in the Warwick Stakes, when both were resuming, Winx returned a Timeform rating of 126 while Hartnell rated 120. 

Wind the clock forward to the Turnbull and Hartnell rated a massive 128 after rating 124 in his easy Chelmsford Stakes win and 127 in his Hill Stakes demolition. 

Clearly the six-year-old is on an upward spiral and furthermore his 128 Timeform rating in the Turnbull was the highest rating in the race in the past 25 years.

Winx won the Cox Plate last year with a rating of 128 and with the mares' allowance she's still in front of Hartnell, but only just on what we've seen lately.

Now the big questions are - Can Hartnell take his rating to another level? And - Will Winx show up in the same dynamic fashion she did 12 months ago?

The manner in which she got the job done in Saturday's Caulfield Stakes would no doubt suggest she's ready to rumble.

4 hours ago, Irish said:

"Vegas Showgirl was by an Aussie stallion Al Akbar!"

I don't think that he was Aussie at all, but I could be wrong. 

If my memory serves me correctly he was by Success Express who stood at Trelawney at the time he was conceived and I presume reared.

At that time a West Australian by the name of Robert Holmes A'Court owned the stud. 

Incidently Al Akbar retired first to Trelawney when it was under The ownership of the Taylor Family (and still is) then he moved to Grangewilliam Stud near Wanganui where he stayed until he died prematurely because of an accident. 

11 hours ago, Shad said:

think the maidens and rating 75s went quicker at reefton at  their last January meeting, food for thought i guess, that reefton track sure is quick

Maybe 2000 metres at Reefton isn't really 2000 metres.

7 hours ago, Trump said:

Al Akbar (NZ) Trained by Chris Wood. NZ bred and owned. I think you need history lessons Irish.

I  checked on the Aussie Stud Book Trump - not from my limited knowledge.  

I'm not sure how Al Akbar counts as an Aussie when Success Express is USA and Gala Night IRE.

Same as I'm not sure how Vegas Magic is considered Aussie when Voodoo Rhythm is USA and Vegas Street is NZ.

Al Akbar was bred and born in Australia. The breeder was Heytesbury Stud Pty (Robert Holmes a Court)

Success Express arrived in Australia in 1989 and stood at Heytesbury Stud.

Success Express first arrived in Australia in 1989 after being imported by businessman Robert Holmes a Court to stand at his Heytesbury Stud. After a change of direction by Holmes a Court, Success Express was sent to Trelawney Stud in New Zealand where he stood for two seasons. Purchased in 1993 by successful Queensland breeder Peter Moran he was then relocated to Widden Stud where he stood between 1993 and 1997 before being moved to Moran's Noble Park Stud in 1998. In 2001 Success Express relocated to Chatswood Stud in Victoria for two seasons before again moving back to Noble Park in 2003. Both Success Express and his Group 1 winning son Mossman were secured by Vinery in 2004. Boasting career progeny earnings of more than $37 million and with a ratio of winners to runners of over 73 per cent, Success Express sired eight individual Group 1 winners, including Golden Slipper winner Polar Success, successful sire son Mossman, New Zealand Oaks winner Savannah Success and AJC Champagne Stakes winner Quick Star. He is the dam sire of three Cox Plate winners, Savabeel, Pinker Pinker and Shamus Award. All this achieved from an average book of just 66 mares during his 18 seasons at stud.   

I have been told it is a correct. Peter parker went 2.02 and change at last meeting. I have been surprised at the times over the last few years, and a few threads have raised doubt over times in general at other tracks.

9 hours ago, Bimbo said:

Maybe 2000 metres at Reefton isn't really 2000 metres.

I have queried that myself more than once and been assured the distance have been measured and are correct

A mare called Quality Street of Kelly Burne's ran the 1020m there is a tick over 56 a few years back which is where my original scepticism and query came from

To be fair I am still dubious but if NZTR have their way there will not be a Reefton for anyone to care soon.

While Reefton is tight it is actually a great big D with no back straight.  If they jump and get on the fence then the rest is history. 

NZ times overall seem generally quicker than the Aussie times anyway and that has been a point of debate on Aussie racing shows in the past.

2 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

I have queried that myself more than once and been assured the distance have been measured and are correct

A mare called Quality Street of Kelly Burne's ran the 1020m there is a tick over 56 a few years back which is where my original scepticism and query came from

To be fair I am still dubious but if NZTR have their way there will not be a Reefton for anyone to care soon.

While Reefton is tight it is actually a great big D with no back straight.  If they jump and get on the fence then the rest is history. 

NZ times overall seem generally quicker than the Aussie times anyway and that has been a point of debate on Aussie racing shows in the past.

Just take the accolades, its a quick track, and a good meeting, i reckon the most enjoyable of the coast circuit, just a shame you got a mid week date and don't get the bigger turnover, but your still racing which is a feather in your cap, given sum clubs have folded. On the times i just thought it was  amusing how winx went slower time.

I am not worried about 'accolades' just embarrassed when it appears that there may be an issue with our distances.  Your sentiments re our meeting are noted though Shad and appreciated thank you very much.  Enjoy it while you have it though as there is a very limited future of gallops at that course.

Everyone could see that they were only cantering for the first 1000 of that race on Saturday - I am surprised they went as quick as they did but is shows how fast those horses are capable of running their last 1000m.

Much as we might like to delude ourselves I don't think there will be too many Winx's running around our little track.

I apologise. I was wrong. Al Akbar was Australian bred even if both of his parents ended up here in NZ shortly afterwards. 

Bugger, that's two mistakes this year. Hopefully it won't be a trifecta by Christmas. LOL