RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bimbo

Swimming Goat

This thread reminds me of an incident I witnessed at Wellington gallops many years ago. The late great Bob Skelton who sadly passed away a couple of days ago won an important race on a horse whose name escapes me and his equally illustrious brother Bill was runner up by a very narrow margin on a horse that had an unlucky interrupted passage in the last furlong.

Bill was very quick to point out after the race to waiting journalists that his horse was a certainty beaten and brother Bob was lucky to have won.

Bob replied just as quickly look at the record book in 20 years time and you will see a horse ridden by Bob Skelton won the race and no one will even care who finished second.

Strange thing is, although the story stuck in my head, the only horses name I can remember is Dyack who was ridden by Bill into second. I call that the Craig syndrome.

On 8/21/2016 at 4:26 PM, Slim Shady said:

Why do swimming goat and wheelchair norm always end up in different races? 

Without checking all the starts I am pretty sure the two have met at least twice with the score at one-all.

Being in different races has nothing to do with the club I am reliably informed.

It's the seeding that comes from HO.

I don't think Swimming Goat has much to worry about after the much hyped NZ debut of American Warrior, the goat has explosive early speed which the Warrior looked like he doesn't have after today's run, a match race might be different but you have to be able to run in an 8 dog field.

I would like to apologies to the connections of Swimming Goat. After following him for a few starts the one and only time I backed him was when Wheelchair Norm beat him. I promise not to back him again.

Reminds me of the one and only time I backed the pacer Tupeka Knight in his amazing 2 year old season - the time he choked down.

6 hours ago, Foaming said:

I would like to apologies to the connections of Swimming Goat. After following him for a few starts the one and only time I backed him was when Wheelchair Norm beat him. I promise not to back him again.

Reminds me of the one and only time I backed the pacer Tupeka Knight in his amazing 2 year old season - the time he choked down.

I don't feel so bad now.  I thought it was my money that got him beaten that time.

I'm happy he won today, as we may have had to put up with the Rummo, Swimming Goat argument for years to come.  Super good dog.

36 minutes ago, alltheway!!! said:

Is it really any of our business? What relevance does this have with swimming goat exactly?

Didn't think it was worth making a new thread about. Just found it interesting when you had a 1.6 fav that's won 5 in a row for Weir and changed trainers all of a sudden. I wasn't aware it was his partner. Good luck to her. 

Geez great win by the Goat tonight, got a bit of a touch up early and then gave Homebush Kelso wind burn! The Galaxy is going to be interesting this year, shortest priced fav pre heats ever ? goat might win the final and make it 25 straight ;)

4 hours ago, GONSTA said:

Anyone know why a couple of Weir's better dogs are being trained by May Cutler now? Cheers. 

There was a hold up with the change of ownership from Aus for little comet as may is only a owner trainer she raced under my name until it was all sorted 

40 minutes ago, EXPLORER said:

There was a hold up with the change of ownership from Aus for little comet as may is only a owner trainer she raced under my name until it was all sorted 

You don't need to explain yourself calum . Back to the thread title though well done on the goat again tonight you and May doing an awesome job.