RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Thoroughbred Awards

Seems pretty straight forward, no great surprises really, if your horse won in Aussie that was value added, hence MK won HOTY, Dennis Ryan, well he deserves it for good service and because The Informant is a good publication, although with the media you can't help get the impression it's just a rotation and everyone gets a turn.

Fells award was long overdue, a great dynasty there..

Trainers maybe debatable, I'd be a Baker Forsman disciple, they have better horses, theirs train on, more older horses, they win top races in Australia, and they generally add huge value to the NZ brand whereas the Te Akau crowd don't seem to do any of the above. Probably a political award that one.

Was there a parasites and low achievers award ? That'd have been hotly contested if there was.

‹ News listings

News

2016 NZ THOROUGHBRED HORSE OF THE YEAR AWARDS

8 August 2016, 9:30 a.m.

Twenty-four awards were presented at the 2016 NZ Thoroughbred Horse of the Year awards dinner in Auckland on Sunday night. 

2016 HORSE OF THE YEAR: Mongolian Khan.

NZTR AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TO NZ RACING:  Gerald Fell and the late Rex Fell.

NZTR AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING GLOBAL ACHIEVEMENT:  Chris Waller.

CHAMPION TWO-YEAR-OLD:  Sacred Elixir.

Other finalists:  Heroic Valour, Luna Rossa, Xiong Feng.

CHAMPION THREE-YEAR-OLD:  Xtravagant

Other finalists: Fanatic, Provocative, Rangipo, Risque, Sofia Rosa Tavago, Valley Girl.

CHAMPION SPRINTER:   Turn Me Loose.

Other finalists: Ryan Mark, Xtravagant.

CHAMPION MIDDLE DISTANCE HORSE: Turn Me Loose.

Other finalists: Addictive Habit, Julinsky Prince, Kawi, Volkstok’n’barrell.

CHAMPION STAYER:  Mongolian Khan.

Other finalists: Benzini,  Jimmy Mac.

CHAMPION JUMPER:  Jack Romanov  & Sea King.

Other finalists: High Forty, Just Got Home, Wee Biskit.

DUNSTAN TRAINER OF THE YEAR: Stephen Autridge & Jamie Richards.

Other finalists: Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman, Tony Pike.

FASTTRACKINSURANCE JOCKEY OF THE YEAR: Lisa Allpress.

Other finalists: Opie Bosson, Matthew Cameron, Michael Coleman, Danielle Johnson.

FASTTRACKINSURANCE JUMPS JOCKEY OF THE YEAR:  Shaun Fannin.

Other finalist: Michael Mitchell.

MCBEATH APPRENTICE JOCKEY OF THE YEAR: Shaun McKay.

FASTTRACKINSURANCE OWNER OF THE YEAR:  JML Bloodstock.

Other finalists: Adrian Bull, Bromley Bloodstock, Denise Howell, Lincoln Farms, NZ Thoroughbred Holdings, The Oaks Stud, Raffles Dancers (NZ), Kelvin Tyler, Sir Peter Vela.

BREEDER OF THE YEAR:  Sir Patrick and Justine Lady Hogan (breeders of Tarzino, Tavago  & Preferment).

Other finalists: Gerry Harvey, IDL Breeding, Llanhennock Trust, Rich Hill Ltd.

BROODMARE OF THE YEAR: Bagalollies (dam of Werther).

Other finalists:  Better Alternative, Indomitable, Mica’s Pride, Staryn Glen.

OWNERS’ PREMIERSHIP:  Sir Peter Vela.

MEDIA AWARD:  Dennis Ryan (The Informant).

Other finalists: Steve Davis, Michael Holland, Mark McNamara.

TRAINERS’  PREMIERSHIP:  Stephen Autridge & Jamie Richards.

JOCKEYS’ PREMIERSHIP:  Lisa Allpress.

NEW ZEALAND BLOODSTOCK FILLY OF THE YEAR:  Sofia Rosa.

GROSVENOR AWARD:  (stallion earnings in NZ): Savabeel.

DEWAR AWARD: (stallion earnings in Australasia):  Savabeel.

CENTAINE AWARD: (stallion earnings worldwide): Savabeel.

3 hours ago, ardentbuzz said:

I fail to see how Extravagant and Ryan Mark could both beat Rangipo 

Talking form my pocket of course but surely the Derby etc would  put him right up there

Do you mean in Champion Sprinter? Easy to see how isn't it? 

18 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Dunstan Trainers prize probably a given for the Premiership winner isn't it Midget....??

Can't see why, they get the " premiership " award by right so the Trainers award should go to highest achiever in that given year, and given that such emphasis is placed on Australian horse form it follows that Australian training form should be considered more significant.

I should add that I'm not aware of the precise criteria used for this award so what follows is just my opinion, and it could be wrong.

You only need look at which trainers did the job in Melbourne, Sydney, and all over NZ, and who did the job in the spring, and at midweek Ashburton meetings, there's no comparison but as I said certain stables need to manipulate the system ( is that you Darci Brahma ?) so they can then engage in false and misleading advertising all the next year. That's NZ racing for you.

Be Gracious in your postings and be pleased for the winners of each award. The people involved in these awards are hard working early risers and deserved of such accolades. I am sure each and every one of the finalists deserved to be there and put themselves above any of the bad press the winners receive.

Racing is in a state of disarray as it is without critics from within.

1 hour ago, Midget said:

Can't see why, they get the " premiership " award by right so the Trainers award should go to highest achiever in that given year, and given that such emphasis is placed on Australian horse form it follows that Australian training form should be considered more significant.

I should add that I'm not aware of the precise criteria used for this award so what follows is just my opinion, and it could be wrong.

You only need look at which trainers did the job in Melbourne, Sydney, and all over NZ, and who did the job in the spring, and at midweek Ashburton meetings, there's no comparison but as I said certain stables need to manipulate the system ( is that you Darci Brahma ?) so they can then engage in false and misleading advertising all the next year. That's NZ racing for you.

1. DUNSTAN TRAINER OF THE YEAR

Managed by NZ Thoroughbred Racing

Finalists:

1. The NZ domiciled trainer with most Group & Listed wins

2. The NZ domiciled trainer with most stake money won

3. The NZ domiciled NZ Trainers’ Premiership Winner

4. Not more than two nominees nominated by the NZTA from outside of the above

finalists

Finalists in category (a) and (b) must have won these races and earned the stake money with horses domiciled in New Zealand for more than half of the season under review and the trainer must have been licensed by NZTR to train in New Zealand for the season under review. Licensed trainers, Permit-to-train licence holders and Owner-trainer licence holders are eligible for nomination. 

Te Akau partnership won 104 races for $2.1m in stakes. 10 Black type and 4 Group One wins.

Would be interested to know what the Baker/Forsman numbers were..Turn me Loose, Mongolian Khan were G1 winners.

Tony Pike would have had pretty good numbers too I would have thought, with significant Australian stakes...?

As I correctly pointed out, the horse awards appear to place a far greater emphasis on Australian form ( otherwise Mongolian Khan wouldn't have been HOTY ahead of multiple G1 winner Xtravagant ) so why shouldn't Australian training performances be afforded more gravity, more credibility, they are after all being achieved in a far more competitive environment aren't they ?

What about Sacred Elixir, he won one $20k race in NZ, and got well beat in his only attempt at black type level in this country, but he did win a nice back end G1 race in Queensland, beating a horse who'd run 6 times for two seconds, in bad races, and the third horse had won just a $17 maiden prior, from about 9 starts, and I'm sure Sacred Elixir will train on and be a superstar ( he looks like a Cox Plate horse actually ) and I'm equally sure they've got it right giving him the award ( if it was on potential ) but boy oh boy, there must have been some " oohs & aahs " when his name was read out.

Just saying, but as usual I'm correct.

But as you well know it is not on potential.

? Mongolian Khan as a potential stallion.

and I'm sure Sacred Elixir will train on and be a superstar ( he looks like a Cox Plate horse actually ) and I'm equally sure they've got it right giving him the award ( if it was on potential )

10 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Anyway there are two sides to everything some agree some don't... thats life... I feel we were totally robbed of champion 2yo one year.... but hey thats life move on... what goes around comes around i feel.

Noted Scooby, but don't forget that when Darci Brahma beat Wahid for 3 HOTY it was only through scrutiny of internetters, then the perseverance of Robin Bloor that the lying fraudsters were exposed.

I've given some extremely good and well researched reasons why two of those awards from last night DO NOT stand scrutiny, and I'm open to persuasion or to be proved wrong, so feel free to tell me which part of what I've said has no basis in fact ?

FYI the unbeaten G1 and stakes winner Heroic Valour ( Te Akau ) should've arguably been 2 HOTY if the correct criteria had been followed.

In our year we won a Group1 and and lost it to a listed winner... so yes ALL awards should have an open and transparent formula you are right.... so there is no helping out the boys anymore...or it makes a joke of the whole night and the winners.

2 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Te Akau partnership won 104 races for $2.1m in stakes. 10 Black type and 4 Group One wins.

Would be interested to know what the Baker/Forsman numbers were..Turn me Loose, Mongolian Khan were G1 winners.

Tony Pike would have had pretty good numbers too I would have thought, with significant Australian stakes...?

Baker Forsman $5.2 million, too many black type wins to count but I stopped at 12 which includes 3 G1 and a G2 in Ozz.

Giving awards to NZ performed horses and trainers over wins in Aus is like a NPC rugby player winning rugby player of the year over an Allblack. One great win at the highest level is far superior to 5 at a budget level.

Shades of Wahid! How does Xtravagent win over Tavago (AJCDerby), Provocative (Qld Oaks) and Tarzino (VRC Derby) when he was a cream puff in Oz but won NZ G1's, the equivalent of Listed or possible G3 Oz races? Only in NZ! Politics and contacts are alive and well in NZ !! I hope he makes it to Oz but unfortunately, I suspect that he will get his arse kicked and make a mockery of the NZ Awards. 

1 hour ago, Trump said:

Shades of Wahid! How does Xtravagent win over Tavago (AJCDerby), Provocative (Qld Oaks) and Tarzino (VRC Derby) when he was a cream puff in Oz but won NZ G1's, the equivalent of Listed or possible G3 Oz races? Only in NZ! Politics and contacts are alive and well in NZ !! I hope he makes it to Oz but unfortunately, I suspect that he will get his arse kicked and make a mockery of the NZ Awards. 

Really?? Provocative wins a rating 65 in NZ, a weak mid week race at Ipswich and wins the QLD oaks in what can be described as an average field at best.

Tavago wins a maiden in NZ, a G3, and  the Aus derby on an off track paying  $30+ 

Are you honestly saying you think it was a stitch up Xtravagant won the title over those 2 horses based on his 2 G1 wins in NZ by a combined 16 lengths, and beating the older and proven G1 horses. Personally I think your deluded if you think it's "shades of Wahid and politics and contacts" are the reason he won. 

The word Champion should be removed from these category's and replaced with the Year, Champion status is earned on racetrack/performance and the only horse I see on that list who could be worthy of such status at this stage is Savabeel (or at least working towards it)- more for his record as a Stallion and not necessarily from racetrack record.

Gonsta, I would have thought that preparing a horse to win a G1 in Aust is far more worthy the soft option of winning a G1 in NZ (really a Listed or G3 level). Xtravagant did the latter, came to Oz and got his arse kicked. Provocative, Tavago did the opposite and won. No doubt in my mind which is the better performance. 

3 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Tavago agree but Provocative won a lower quality Group 1 on a bad track... lets see if the form from that carnival even stacks up in the Spring...

On a good track she would have won by more Scooby, she is a serious racehorse.

Agree that the opposition may be questionable that day, but no question she will go on with it.

Caulfield Cup perhaps..?