RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
WhoKnows

Freedom Fighter and John Dunn

It will be interesting whether the stipes question John Dunn over his tactics on the red hot favourite Freedom Fighter, went back to last from a good draw, never moved at all during the race and never gave the horse a chance completely different from how the horse has been previously driven.

Stewards questioned J Dunn as the driver of FREEDOM FIGHTER regarding the manner in which he had handled the gelding throughout, with particular regards to the fact that he did not improve his position at an earlier stage of the race. Mr Dunn explained that he had become positioned further back than he anticipated after being outpaced in the early stages and from that point the field had raced in single file. He added that due to his gelding's propensity to over-race, as it had done so two starts ago when positioned in the one-one, he was unwilling to lead the two wide line forwards and race parked out. Mr Dunn said that he had briefly considered improving three wide near the 1100 metres but at this stage of the horse's career the stable conisdered FREEDOM FIGHTER to be a sit sprinter and that it was unable to sustain a three-wide run in the middle stages and remain competitive. Mr Dunn was of the opinion the gelding had been able to lead first up due to it racing against maidens but when tried in front last week had disappointed him with it's efforts. Mr Dunn further added that it was the intention of the stable to continue having the horse driven in this manner where circumstances permitted. The comments of Mr Dunn were noted.

His comments were noted, whoop de bloody Doo.......

I hear what people are saying but there was also an air of inevitability about this when it also accepted for Sunday.  If it wins before 1 August then it is a penalty free win. So they need to win either the Friday or Sunday start.

Friday's race - I'll give John Dunn the benefit of the doubt re going back at the start and then not wanting to lead up the running line etc. then he ended up last. At the 800m he can't win the race unless he is a second faster than Cruzy Dude and McLinchie etc over 800 because he will have to go 3 wide.  chances are he isn't. John Dunn also knows if he goes 3 wide from the 800 the speed will go on and he will get caught and end up with a tired horse than ran 5th and be no good for him on Sunday. So he waited till the 300 and gave it a sprint home and ended up with a not tired horse than ran 5th. Something a horse can back up from easily. Doesn't help Friday's punter but was it not always a possibility and baked into the odds he was paying?

Sunday - I suspect we would have seen a more aggressive drive but he has now told the stipes that the horse is a sit sprinter. Still, I think it could win Sunday. 

3 hours ago, Eastwood Jaunty said:

I hear what people are saying but there was also an air of inevitability about this when it also accepted for Sunday.  If it wins before 1 August then it is a penalty free win. So they need to win either the Friday or Sunday start.

Friday's race - I'll give John Dunn the benefit of the doubt re going back at the start and then not wanting to lead up the running line etc. then he ended up last. At the 800m he can't win the race unless he is a second faster than Cruzy Dude and McLinchie etc over 800 because he will have to go 3 wide.  chances are he isn't. John Dunn also knows if he goes 3 wide from the 800 the speed will go on and he will get caught and end up with a tired horse than ran 5th and be no good for him on Sunday. So he waited till the 300 and gave it a sprint home and ended up with a not tired horse than ran 5th. Something a horse can back up from easily. Doesn't help Friday's punter but was it not always a possibility and baked into the odds he was paying?

Sunday - I suspect we would have seen a more aggressive drive but he has now told the stipes that the horse is a sit sprinter. Still, I think it could win Sunday. 

Those noted comments be all lost in the system, even if it wins sunday, on the other hand what a tough old horse Eastwood jaunty was, and his trainer driver george shand, he was an icon in his day and always travelled afar. Can you recall any other of his horses that went good, another driver from that era i used to follow was Trevor Thomas, was the driver of joyboy started in the Westport cup off 120m handicap one year, finished 3rd i think, memories from the past, always good to remember.

4 hours ago, Eastwood Jaunty said:

Just based on its run on the 8th July where it showed its toughness just hard for a punter to understand that they are going to save it for one run. Just be nice if change of tactics like that were known to everyone before the race.

Also the annoying thing with his comments are that surely now people should agree that if they go to the front or come and sit parked and win then he should be suspended as theyve explained it will be driven with a sit from now on right? 
Of course we all know that wont happen. As I have seen and others im sure, of this not being the case.

Edited by Popcorn Player
grammar

Different race on Sunday,2600m and drawn wide.Trouble with the sprint distance on Friday is that generally when a horse hasnt got early speed they will have less of a chance to go round as less of an easing in the speed because every horse can run a sprint.Chances are that on sunday with the extra distance whoever leads will have to ease up at some stage because 2600m is at the end of or past most horses ability 

the excuses drivers use to get away with thing is amazing, freedom fighter was driven completely different on Friday from its previous starts then makes a long sustained run from the 500m and wins easy 2 days later and they let them away with Fridays run when the horse was clearly there just for a quiet run. Surprised the hitting the disks excuse wasn't pulled from the hat of lies again

I wonder what would actually have to happen for our stipes to put a driver out for failing to try, maybe they have to jump out of the sulky, check their tickets and slash the tyres on the sulky? This drive, and a lot more, wouldn't be put up with in Australia, it's just another reason why my betting has dropped a lot lately, I don't mind losing but when it's obvious they aren't trying it makes me reconsider why I bother at all.

4 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

I wonder what would actually have to happen for our stipes to put a driver out for failing to try, maybe they have to jump out of the sulky, check their tickets and slash the tyres on the sulky? This drive, and a lot more, wouldn't be put up with in Australia, it's just another reason why my betting has dropped a lot lately, I don't mind losing but when it's obvious they aren't trying it makes me reconsider why I bother at all.

Geez I would hate to see how many posts blaming jockeys and drivers if you did mind losing :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, gubellini said:

Shad you have a good memory. Joy Boy started off 120 metres in the 1984 Westport Cup and ran third to Royal Knight and Watbro Ford.

Thanks. Was a long time ago, been a few others starship raced in Westport cup before being placed in Auckland cup, star of utopia another good  preformer, armalight, our mana won 1st race there bondy as well, there, plus a few of the nairn trotters started there careers there.

I have just viewed videos of Freedom Fighters last two races and sorry guys but nothing wrong with John's drive last Friday night. Freedom Fighter is very green and paces with a high head carriage. He overraced on Friday and his breathing pattern would have been affected hence couldn't finish on as well as he did on Sunday. Different scenario backing up on Sunday. Field much weaker! Extra distance and more relaxed. Better breathing pattern. Wins nicely. End of story. Gonsta you should know better by now. Ha Ha!

47 minutes ago, Value Bell said:

Shad, George Shand had Mighty Gay as a 2 year old started on the coast with mud up to the hocks. Mighty Gay won that day. Mighty Gay was by Gay Gordon / Rosa Dream. Arthur Cross bought Rosa Dream and bred from her.

That was a wee bit before my time, he certainly was a good supporter of the small clubs, and yes they have been known to get sum rain on the coast, track has improved alot since then, shame that no gallops are held there now.

10 hours ago, Value Bell said:

Shad, George Shand had Mighty Gay as a 2 year old started on the coast with mud up to the hocks. Mighty Gay won that day. Mighty Gay was by Gay Gordon / Rosa Dream. Arthur Cross bought Rosa Dream and bred from her.

Sorry to correct you ,but Mighty Gay did not race/win on the coast as a 2yo, His 2yo wins were at Nelson ,both days at the June meeting,then raced at Auckland and won,1st night,then ran 7th on 2nd night. cheers.........

11 hours ago, jayar said:

Sorry to correct you ,but Mighty Gay did not race/win on the coast as a 2yo, His 2yo wins were at Nelson ,both days at the June meeting,then raced at Auckland and won,1st night,then ran 7th on 2nd night. cheers.........

I went to both days that Mighty Gay won at Nelson. Was a bog from memory.  The first day was to back a trotter called Waipounamu that we were told to bet with confidence. It won paying 40's :) 

I also have strong memories of Mighty Gay winning due to the connection we had with a horse called Rolon Waitaki which we expected to win Mighty Gay's race. I just went and looked up the result of the race and what struck me most was the impressive list of drivers names in that race.

George Shand. Richard Brosnan,Kevin Townley,Felix Newfield,Noel Berkett,Jack Carmichael,John Noble,Derek Jones,Max Miller.

I followed Mighty Gay when it raced and remember a speedy tough horse that could beat just about anything on it's day and then blow to bits the next start.  Would it be too P.C these days to get away with calling a horse "Mighty Gay" ?