RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

TAB Bookies taking the piss????

Are the TAB bookies serious when they bring out the harness odds out early, or are the just taking the piss?

No idea who is setting the harness odds but they are really a shocker with the odds that they bring out now.

The odds have continually got shorter and there is no value for anything nowadays and are huge unders compared to the tote divs.

It appears that they no longer want punters punting any reasonably large place bets on and when they do they slash the odds on that horse so that they aren't worth having another go, and well as restricting the amount be able to be won!!!!

When something is slashed they don't lengthen out any of the others.

The place odds on opening for a 3 place dividend race has now gone out to about 450 per cent for some races so no value there whatsoever.

There are so many that are at microscopic odds that no one in their right mind would bother investing, but maybe that is what they are after.

Maybe the NZ TAB should subcontract out to TABCORP as at the moment the NZ TAB are absolute shockers!'

What I do not understand when they set the odds well in advance of the event is why there isn't an any other option - surely this should be mandatory. Farcical when people are betting on an event when the winner is potentially not in the options. Yes they will answer that they will accept a bet on another runner e.g. Monbet and then include it in the odds but the point is all potential starters should be available immediately the odds are declared and not added in later. The odds offered are atrocious and not all horses are included in the field. Only for mugs betting on these options.

2 hours ago, Tlw said:

Perhaps you should put in on the tote if you are unhappy

The amount I put on would shorten the div up so much that it wouldn't be worth the risk, with the size of the pools!

Perhaps the Bookies should be more realistic with the fixed odds to attract more money to be put in.

At the moment their odds they offer are ridiculously low on most occasions and I know from others who are regular punters on fixed are saying the same thing.

They either don't know what they are doing or deliberately trying to p everyone off and aren't prepared to take any risk whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Tlw said:

Perhaps you should put in on the tote if you are unhappy

Well talk about stating the obvious - we all have that option but you have missed the point altogether. Reread what these opinions are about and perhaps you will understand what we are saying. 

On 7/29/2016 at 0:37 PM, Brodie said:

Are the TAB bookies serious when they bring out the harness odds out early, or are the just taking the piss?

No idea who is setting the harness odds but they are really a shocker with the odds that they bring out now.

The odds have continually got shorter and there is no value for anything nowadays and are huge unders compared to the tote divs.

It appears that they no longer want punters punting any reasonably large place bets on and when they do they slash the odds on that horse so that they aren't worth having another go, and well as restricting the amount be able to be won!!!!

When something is slashed they don't lengthen out any of the others.

The place odds on opening for a 3 place dividend race has now gone out to about 450 per cent for some races so no value there whatsoever.

There are so many that are at microscopic odds that no one in their right mind would bother investing, but maybe that is what they are after.

Maybe the NZ TAB should subcontract out to TABCORP as at the moment the NZ TAB are absolute shockers!'

The TAB must really have a good laugh at your expense when you post on here Brodie.

Have just read that the TAB turnover is up and profits especially in fixed odds harness are through the roof over the last year. 

http://www.harnesslink.com/New-Zealand/John-Allen-speech-2016-annual-conference

14 minutes ago, MisterEd said:

The TAB must really have a good laugh at your expense when you post on here Brodie.

Have just read that the TAB turnover is up and profits especially in fixed odds harness are through the roof over the last year. 

Well well well, it does appear they do know what they  are  doing. Generating more  money  for  the  good  of  the  industry.

Well  done  Team  Bookies

9 hours ago, Brodie said:

The amount I put on would shorten the div up so much that it wouldn't be worth the risk, with the size of the pools!

Perhaps the Bookies should be more realistic with the fixed odds to attract more money to be put in.

At the moment their odds they offer are ridiculously low on most occasions and I know from others who are regular punters on fixed are saying the same thing.

They either don't know what they are doing or deliberately trying to p everyone off and aren't prepared to take any risk whatsoever.

So what did you  do  before the introduction  of  Fixed odds?

1 hour ago, Tlw said:

Well well well, it does appear they do know what they  are  doing. Generating more  money  for  the  good  of  the  industry.

Well  done  Team  Bookies

Well,done team Bookies?????

So you support the bookies.

TAB doing a crap job losing the total betters because of the closing down of many of the services for the older punters.

Yes they do know what they are doing, pissing everyone off!

1 hour ago, Tlw said:

So what did you  do  before the introduction  of  Fixed odds?

Bet on the tote but not to the same degree as I do with Fixed.

If the TAB want to get rid of the winning punters then fair enough they will then be happy with the losing punters.

1 hour ago, MisterEd said:

Don't know why they would be laughing at me?

People that know me, know that I don't need to invest with the TAB to survive.

The reason the per centage profit is up on harness this year is because they have reduced all the odds ridiculously to below tote odds on a lot of occasions.

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Don't know why they would be laughing at me?

People that know me, know that I don't need to invest with the TAB to survive.

The reason the per centage profit is up on harness this year is because they have reduced all the odds ridiculously to below tote odds on a lot of occasions.

Well you come on here saying people are leaving in droves and nobody in their right mind would bother investing when the exact opposite is true looking at the numbers. You say the TAB do not know what they are doing when looking at the numbers they know exactly what they are doing and are doing it better than they have in the past. I know several people both here in Aussie and also in New Zealand who are restricted who continue to make a profit when gambling so there is value there if you are smart enough to find it. Here in Aussie it is worse with the bookies with restrictions than it is in New Zealand so you are lucky in that respect and also your markets open a lot sooner than ours. Just wait until the NZ TAB bookies catch up with the rest of the world and restrictions become straight bans or restrictions to win $50.00. When that happens you will really have something to moan about and it is only a year or two away in my opinion.

2 hours ago, MisterEd said:

Well you come on here saying people are leaving in droves and nobody in their right mind would bother investing when the exact opposite is true looking at the numbers. You say the TAB do not know what they are doing when looking at the numbers they know exactly what they are doing and are doing it better than they have in the past. I know several people both here in Aussie and also in New Zealand who are restricted who continue to make a profit when gambling so there is value there if you are smart enough to find it. Here in Aussie it is worse with the bookies with restrictions than it is in New Zealand so you are lucky in that respect and also your markets open a lot sooner than ours. Just wait until the NZ TAB bookies catch up with the rest of the world and restrictions become straight bans or restrictions to win $50.00. When that happens you will really have something to moan about and it is only a year or two away in my opinion.

MisterEd, where have I said that people are leaving in droves, please show me that quote!

You are obviously based in Oz so you will know what goes on over there better than we would in NZ?

The reality is though that if the TAB brings in further restrictions to successful punters then the industry will be further stuffed than what it currently is, as people just won't be bothered going oncourse and therefore tracks will close.

Ridiculous that a monopoly in NZ that is owned effectively by the govt. can restrict people from winning.

Guest 2Admin2
21 hours ago, MisterEd said:

MisterEd - get your facts right rather than listening to NZRB spin.  Allen said Yield on Harness FOB was up 50% - that may well be true - we don't get to see the real figures for some time if at all.  Now those are yields not NET profit.  The increase in FOB turnover is at the expense of Tote turnover which is down 5%.  Given FOB turnover (11% yield) is half that of Tote turnover (18% yield) then it is highly likely that Harness revenue (not turnover) has not improved or is less than last year.

1 hour ago, 2Admin2 said:

MisterEd - get your facts right rather than listening to NZRB spin.  Allen said Yield on Harness FOB was up 50% - that may well be true - we don't get to see the real figures for some time if at all.  Now those are yields not NET profit.  The increase in FOB turnover is at the expense of Tote turnover which is down 5%.  Given FOB turnover (11% yield) is half that of Tote turnover (18% yield) then it is highly likely that Harness revenue (not turnover) has not improved or is less than last year.

You are probably dead right.

Every year the execs always say they are doing things right, just trying to justify their large salaries.

But John Allan says that this year they aren't giving themselves a pay rise. Real saints!

But they can give their clients pay cuts by limiting bets.

Profit or yield will be up this past year because they are blatantly exploiting the punters by reduced odds and tote divs payouts.

They think they are being clever but in the medium term it will backfire on them and the industry as punters get the stitch.

Fixed odds harness markets being offered now are not realistic.

Guest 2Admin2
4 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Profit or yield will be up this past year because they are blatantly exploiting the punters by reduced odds and tote divs payouts.

They think they are being clever but in the medium term it will backfire on them and the industry as punters get the stitch.

Fixed odds harness markets being offered now are not realistic.

In non punting parlance what you are saying is that the TAB have increased the price of their product.  Not wise in a competitive market unless that can further enhance their monopoly position.

Exactly what I am saying.

I firmly believe that the tote divs paid out have reduced and the fixed odds offered have reduced massively.

Many I speak to who bet fixed also agree that the odds harness bookies offer are ridiculous.

Something that should be $3 for a place they will open at $2

The per centages have gone out for both win and place significantly.

They think they are being clever but getting to the point of being a waste of time when they have 5 horses paying under $2 for a place in sizeable field.

Competition would be good as they are a monopoly

9 hours ago, Brodie said:

Something that should be $3 for a place they will open at $2

You are completely and utterly wrong Brodie....will open at $2......try $1.20!

You are still far too optimistic!

The tight TAB getter tighter and tighter. I wonder how they breath.

25 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

You are completely and utterly wrong Brodie....will open at $2......try $1.20!

You are still far too optimistic!

The tight TAB getter tighter and tighter. I wonder how they breath.

You are right Happy!

I didn't want to exaggerate but yes you often get 3 paying next to nothing for a place so basically they are saying we don't want anyone backing them.

The last race at Addington last Friday night Hannah Extreme was at $1.45 for a place all day. Michael House was the driver!

In the race was a Purdon horse paying $1.02 for a place and a Dunn horse at $1.12 a place fixed.

So three horses under $1.45 for a place. Ridiculous and not worth punters effort to back Hannah Extreme.

It ran third behind the other 2 and paid $2.40 for a place on the tote.

The harness bookies think they are clever by now pricing the fixed odds at less than fair odds and tote odds unless a horse has got no show and they can be longer than the tote.

Would love to be able to talk to the harness odds setter to see what the hell is doing!!!!!!!

Brodie,

The sad thing is, it is not even fun anymore. I used to look forward to the opening FF odds but now the word I would use is 'disappointment'

I look at the odds and think 'what the hell is going on?' You want me to back that average horse in ok field paying $1.30 the place? 

It has gone from looking for value in FF to seeing where there is no value and waiting for the tote!

2 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Brodie,

The sad thing is, it is not even fun anymore. I used to look forward to the opening FF odds but now the word I would use is 'disappointment'

I look at the odds and think 'what the hell is going on?' You want me to back that average horse in ok field paying $1.30 the place? 

It has gone from looking for value in FF to seeing where there is no value and waiting for the tote!

Totally agree Happy.

Capable punters who did their homework and knew what they were doing and were given fair odds could make money .

Nowadays the dickhead that sets the odds either has got no idea whatsoever or he is just taking the piss!

I also enjoyed the challenge to take the TAB on as you know they had the slogan "You know the odds now beat them"

Nowadays they bring the odds out and are basically saying here are the odds, if you are dumb enough to take these ridiculously low odds then so be it!!!!!

At the moment there is no value at all when they open the odds on harness.

It won't happen but if all harness fixed odds betters had a staged boycott of the fixed odds for a week or two would they perhaps

start to see sense and offer fair fixed odds???

This place is like Groundhog Day, on steroids.  No matter when I pop in to see what's being discussed, it's always the same topic---how Brodie can't get a bet on with the TAB, at least at what he considers reasonable odds.

Let me just say this.  If Brodie, or anybody else, has managed to find a way to consistently win money betting on the horses, then I am in total awe.  I dips my lid to you.  You are my heroes.  BUT expecting the TAB to continue to allow that to happen is total fantasy-land stuff.  No business in the world will continue to deal with customers who repeatedly cost them money (well ok, city councils might do so, but that's because it's not their money).  Moaning about the TAB doing precisely this is just barking---you might as well complain about the tide coming in.

Please, let's retune to Sanity FM, and remember that the only sustainable business is a profitable business.  

19 minutes ago, Basil said:

This place is like Groundhog Day, on steroids.  No matter when I pop in to see what's being discussed, it's always the same topic---how Brodie can't get a bet on with the TAB, at least at what he considers reasonable odds.

Let me just say this.  If Brodie, or anybody else, has managed to find a way to consistently win money betting on the horses, then I am in total awe.  I dips my lid to you.  You are my heroes.  BUT expecting the TAB to continue to allow that to happen is total fantasy-land stuff.  No business in the world will continue to deal with customers who repeatedly cost them money (well ok, city councils might do so, but that's because it's not their money).  Moaning about the TAB doing precisely this is just barking---you might as well complain about the tide coming in.

Please, let's retune to Sanity FM, and remember that the only sustainable business is a profitable business.  

You should be in awe then Basil, and dip your lid.

The reality is though Basil, with the TAB offering lower and lower odds, what they are effectively doing is costing themselves bigger turnover and profit.

They are "cutting off their noses to spite their face" if you can understand that.

Punters I know that bet fixed solely are now looking at the odds when they open and are saying bugger it, nothing worth backing.

Not sure how the execs can not see this??

In any gambling business their will always be punters that make money but many more that lose.

TAB are saying we don't want anyone making money, we only want the losing punters, but that will be costing them big time.

Definitely "taking the piss"

Have a look at the odds offered at Oamaru this morning!

There is not one horse offered that is any value at all.

Cant believe that they can all be so short and not worth the hassle.

Is everyone else finding the same thing?

at the odds currently being dished out early all you are doing is buying money with them be so Flippen short!!!!!!

Come on Bookies give the NZ punters a fair go!