RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
come on ref

just when you think it can't get worsewell

Just a note on Gary Sharp  aka white knight.

Saw Gary at Manakau on Sunday and he was chipper and upbeat despite the back pain.

Gary you have served the sport well and were always cheerful, polite and industrious on race days without being overly officious as some raceday officials are want to do.

Well done and we expect to see you back in another role when your good bitch reproduces.

A lot of people get given a nickname if I was to give you one it would be rake.

I do agree with cutting vouchers to a degree but im far from convinced that it will improve the quality of the fields we will see. It is a shame that if your dog falls through no fault of its own or yours that you will now go home empty handed....at least a $20 voucher went part way towards helping with the disappointment! 

2 hours ago, GOM said:

Just a note on Gary Sharp  aka white knight.

Saw Gary at Manakau on Sunday and he was chipper and upbeat despite the back pain.

Gary you have served the sport well and were always cheerful, polite and industrious on race days without being overly officious as some raceday officials are want to do.

Well done and we expect to see you back in another role when your good bitch reproduces.

A lot of people get given a nickname if I was to give you one it would be rake.

Thanks Mike.

I will be back in some description when I have got my back right but not as a starter. I am looking at coming back to give trainers a hand at the track & when I can afford it get my own property & some dogs. It was also suggested to me that I could look at being a stipe.

By race 4 the pain had kicked in big time & was finding it hard to move. I was blocking it out even though I had taken my painkillers at the start of the day.

45 minutes ago, come on ref said:

Well a few days into the " your not good enough"to receive any money rule. I wonder how much time some dogs have left before they disappeared because they haven't earnt anything. Good on you nzgra

Lol.... If that's your attitude towards slow dogs it's hardly nzgra's fault is it... They aren't a charity, if you consistently breed below average dogs then why on earth should you be rewarded? 

Some of you guys need to take a long hard look at your attitude towards greyhound racing especially on a public forum. Just because your not receiving a $20 petrol voucher you think all these slow dogs are going to dis appear? No wonder the industry is farked with disgusting attitudes like some of you have on here.

26 minutes ago, GONSTA said:

Lol.... If that's your attitude towards slow dogs it's hardly nzgra's fault is it... They aren't a charity, if you consistently breed below average dogs then why on earth should you be rewarded? 

Some of you guys need to take a long hard look at your attitude towards greyhound racing especially on a public forum. Just because your not receiving a $20 petrol voucher you think all these slow dogs are going to dis appear? No wonder the industry is farked with disgusting attitudes like some of you have on here.

I agree  with you 

Give yourself a yellow card ref

28 minutes ago, GONSTA said:

Must say that i agree with your summation GONSTA. A lot of the posters on here think the NZGRA is a benevolent society, there to take them by the hand, and feed them welfare every step of the way.

Many just use it as a welfare system, the slow dogs are just there to get the vouchers to subsidise the travel etc....for the faster ones, if nomination fees were brought back and you actually had to perform to get a cheque  then some of these trainers might have to work a bit harder.

You should not get something for just turning up and going round.

2 hours ago, aquaman said:

Must say that i agree with your summation GONSTA. A lot of the posters on here think the NZGRA is a benevolent society, there to take them by the hand, and feed them welfare every step of the way.

john would you say that the trot and gallops deserve an appearance fee,   i mean lets face it the greyhound hound owner and trainer supply a product for the public to bet    on why not introduce the same system they have in vic

3 hours ago, aquaman said:

Just like you sprinting your dogs for a cheque even though you have posted many times of your disgust at (quote) squibs and (quote) inbred retard good for nothing sprinters....if I was the boss at nzgra I would dishonour your nominations for sprint races after all the shet you say about those "squibs" on here....pot/kettle comes to mind....what a two faced squib you are.

58 minutes ago, Slim Shady said:

Just like you sprinting your dogs for a cheque even though you have posted many times of your disgust at (quote) squibs and (quote) inbred retard good for nothing sprinters....if I was the boss at nzgra I would dishonour your nominations for sprint races after all the shet you say about those "squibs" on here....pot/kettle comes to mind....what a two faced squib you are.

Think you will find john will step those dogs up to 500 and that he had them In heats 

12 hours ago, Slim Shady said:

I will treat this post with the contempt it deserves.

1 hour ago, Slim Shady said:

Makes no difference if he does or doesnt...why doesnt he trial them ready to go 500 then?? Oh yea cause he wants some stakes from "squib" racing first. 

Think you are being a bit OTT Slim, John has always taken the stance that we have been doing the industry a mischief by making NZ the dumping ground for dogs unable to compete in longer races elsewhere. It is very apparent that he has been correct as we find NZ struggling to fill middle distance races. I was of the same opinion but came to  the conclusion that  if you want to be part of the NZ scene you have to race sprinters or your options are very limited.

John obviously still adheres to his belief but good on him for taking advantage for a sprint win if that is part of his dogs preparation. Arch Lawrence is another example of someone who is absolutely dedicated himself to distance dogs but still wins the odd sprint, Nothing wrong with that at all

13 hours ago, gary1 said:

john would you say that the trot and gallops deserve an appearance fee,   i mean lets face it the greyhound hound owner and trainer supply a product for the public to bet    on why not introduce the same system they have in vic

I don't really have an opinion on this Gary. Having said that, i feel all racing should be about winning, and paying appearance fee's means the money ultimately comes from the winners purse. I got a cheque for $20 on Tues for running 5th. To my mind this money should go to first, second, and third. But as i said, thats only my opinion.

1 minute ago, aquaman said:

I don't really have an opinion on this Gary. Having said that, i feel all racing should be about winning, and paying appearance fee's means the money ultimately comes from the winners purse. I got a cheque for $20 on Tues for running 5th. To my mind this money should go to first, second, and third. But as i said, thats only my opinion.

thanks john my opinion is the greyhounds supply a product for the public to bet on the tab make money out of this so why shouldn't they help out the owners and trainers as i see it the trots and gallops get appearance fees and if nzgra introduced a system similar to aust it would fair right across the board  . what if you were to take one dog from christchurch to invercargill you thought it had a great chance  only to be taking out of the race by some aussie import i know 20 dollars isnt much but at least it will get you a pie and coke on way home

1 hour ago, GOM said:

Gary do the trots and Gallops pay nomination and or acceptance fees? Do they pay those for Greyhounds in Victoria (I have no idea on this)

not sure on trots or gallop perhaps you could ask your trainer    

Removal of Nomination Fees To Save Owners $1.2m per Year

Monday 28 January

‹ Back to Press Release listings

The Board of New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) has removed the $50 (excluding GST) nomination fee from all races below rating 75 from 1 March 2013. There will be no nomination or acceptance fees for horses that nominate, accept and start in all maiden, rating 65, non-black-type two-year-old, three-year-old, four-year-old, and special conditions races.

1 hour ago, GOM said:

Gary do the trots and Gallops pay nomination and or acceptance fees? Do they pay those for Greyhounds in Victoria (I have no idea on this)

mike i believe you have a galloper does your trainer get either a float fee or appearance fee

its all good in saying that petrol vouchers are the reason there are so many low graded sprinters around now but I think we all know that is not the case as petrol vouchers do not pay for the amount of time, effort and money put into breeding and rearing those pups, so if that was a trainers reasoning for breeding lower graded sprinters, than they obviously wont be training dogs for that long.

Half the problem is IMO that we havent got the rearing and breaking in establishments that exist in Australia... The rearing and breaking in of the pup is just as important as the breeding and if it isnt done right, than you all know the results. I'm sure if we had some more professional rearers and breaking in dogs in NZ, the dogs would increase in quality instead of (for the majority of breeders in NZ anyway) trying to work it out for themselves with little to no hel[. Maybe we should do what they are doing in Vic and get some of our top rearers like Garry Cleeve, Mike Martin etc. and AUS top rearers to come over and hold workshops about breeding, rearing, breaking in etc. to improve the quality of dog over here

42 minutes ago, alltheway!!! said:

its all good in saying that petrol vouchers are the reason there are so many low graded sprinters around now but I think we all know that is not the case as petrol vouchers do not pay for the amount of time, effort and money put into breeding and rearing those pups, so if that was a trainers reasoning for breeding lower graded sprinters, than they obviously wont be training dogs for that long.

Half the problem is IMO that we havent got the rearing and breaking in establishments that exist in Australia... The rearing and breaking in of the pup is just as important as the breeding and if it isnt done right, than you all know the results. I'm sure if we had some more professional rearers and breaking in dogs in NZ, the dogs would increase in quality instead of (for the majority of breeders in NZ anyway) trying to work it out for themselves with little to no hel[. Maybe we should do what they are doing in Vic and get some of our top rearers like Garry Cleeve, Mike Martin etc. and AUS top rearers to come over and hold workshops about breeding, rearing, breaking in etc. to improve the quality of dog over here

you dont need to bring any aussies over you have some of the best here eg ray adcock   as for breeding breed from good quality dogs and your success rate will be higher not cheap aussie non chasing imports

3 minutes ago, gary1 said:

you dont need to bring any aussies over you have some of the best here eg ray adcock   as for breeding breed from good quality dogs and your success rate will be higher not cheap aussie non chasing imports

Bloodlines do increase your chances, but I still believe that rearing and breaking in is just as important, if not more than the breeding. Some people breed champions from weak bloodlines and not all top bloodlines brood bitches and stud dogs for that matter do perform from generation to generation. Why I believe educating people about how to rear and break in dogs will increase the quality of dog in NZ as bloodlines can only get you so far (Infact most breeders do hours upon hours of research into selecting their breeds aswell... whether some like to admit it or not).

1 hour ago, alltheway!!! said:

Bloodlines do increase your chances, but I still believe that rearing and breaking in is just as important, if not more than the breeding. Some people breed champions from weak bloodlines and not all top bloodlines brood bitches and stud dogs for that matter do perform from generation to generation. Why I believe educating people about how to rear and break in dogs will increase the quality of dog in NZ as bloodlines can only get you so far (Infact most breeders do hours upon hours of research into selecting their breeds aswell... whether some like to admit it or not).

all the way i agree in part but if your training greyhounds you should know how to rear and break them