RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Grant R

Stallions who's your value for money boy

Breeding season is rapidly closing in and breeders will be making decisions on where to send the broodmares 

My question is who do you think is value for money as a stallion you can look at it two ways 

1) As a breeder for re-sale

2) As a breeder who is going to race the horse

I will start with my opinion and i'm biased as i have shares in three from the boy and that is Darci brahma at 15k stud fee just a fantastic provider of consistent horses maybe not 2YO but as they get older they start showing something and as the great man says "Patience is the cheapest thing in racing and the least used"  BART CUMMINGS

I agree Darci B is great value as a consistent source of very good horses.

Power seems pretty good value at $8k considering how they have kicked off in Europe.

Of the new horses Complacent seems pretty fair value at $5k.

I still think Mastercraftsman is underrated (although unfort no longer shuttling here obviously). Rip VW also fair value.

threes allays 3 things i look at 

where do i want resulting foal be located ie who i want buy it

what sort of horse i want from sire

and three what we look at as value 

value aint darci   he was over priced and under achived and left nothing

5   that are good value for mine are per incanto(though unsure what they be like as older horses

iffraaj  produces top level horses all over the world

showcasing the same

and swiss ace is making name all over

another  that i think is a  toplinner in making is shocking have two and love them  and  every train er and owner i  know raves bout them

one  the  things  darci hasnt done with great effect is produce to many outside nz  hence y alot are called bread n butter stallions hes not liked in aus n you really  see  his progeny in asia

Insert other media

28 minutes ago, mr_gee said:

5   that are good value for mine are per incanto(though unsure what they be like as older horses

showcasing the same

another  that i think is a  toplinner in making is shocking have two and love them  and  every train er and owner i  know raves bout them

one  the  things  darci hasnt done with great effect is produce to many outside nz  hence y alot are called bread n butter stallions hes not liked in aus n you really  see  his progeny in asia

Insert other media

Well ill throw a few figures at you regarding Darci Brahma

383 progeny to race 267 winners (69%) earnings over 26 million 28 stakes winners  27 stakes placegetters 

Champion sire Singapore 2012, 2013 , 2015

Second on NZ sire list 2013-14, 2014-15 and is the same this season

Horses  Julinsky Prince $580 k , Nashville 795k NZ 500 K AU , Recite 230 k NZ , 160 K AU , Gust of Wind 970 k AU , Rasa Lila 230 K  , Darci Be Good 640k AU , Super Easy 2.1 mill S , Risque Mission 330 K AU

Not super top echelon but pretty dam good 

1 hour ago, Catalano said:

Surely Nadeem would have to best value on a runners:winners, runners:SW basis?

For sure, however don't understand why he only got to 4.5k on online auction earlier in the week….he is the perfect horse for both breed to race and the semi commercial breeder - he is PROVEN…whether is the travel costs involved to get mares down to the Wairarapa?  Same with Per Incanto - only got to 11K and was passed in...

6 minutes ago, biff said:

For sure, however don't understand why he only got to 4.5k on online auction earlier in the week….he is the perfect horse for both breed to race and the semi commercial breeder - he is PROVEN…whether is the travel costs involved to get mares down to the Wairarapa?  Same with Per Incanto - only got to 11K and was passed in...

one  thing  i  notice  with  nadeems  is   a lot of  them   are  not allways   there  in the  head 

38 minutes ago, Grant R said:

Well ill throw a few figures at you regarding Darci Brahma

383 progeny to race 267 winners (69%) earnings over 26 million 28 stakes winners  27 stakes placegetters 

Champion sire Singapore 2012, 2013 , 2015

Second on NZ sire list 2013-14, 2014-15 and is the same this season

Horses  Julinsky Prince $580 k , Nashville 795k NZ 500 K AU , Recite 230 k NZ , 160 K AU , Gust of Wind 970 k AU , Rasa Lila 230 K  , Darci Be Good 640k AU , Super Easy 2.1 mill S , Risque Mission 330 K AU

Not super top echelon but pretty dam good 

thats  all well and  good  but that  was  when was   well supported    gone  15k   tells me  hes  not well supported  tells me   his owners ain't supporting him yes  he  has  stats  but    y price decrease  all of  a sudden  

34 minutes ago, mr_gee said:

thats  all well and  good  but that  was  when was   well supported    gone  15k   tells me  hes  not well supported  tells me   his owners ain't supporting him yes  he  has  stats  but    y price decrease  all of  a sudden  

I think alot comes down to two and three year old sires like you Per incanto you mentioned they are the hot property at the moment it just goes in cycles i believe . Personally i like a sire that im prepared to wait for the offspring to mature and like horses that can go over ground

6 hours ago, mr_gee said:

showcasing the same

Insert other media

At the same point in their stallion careers Darci Brahma has $4 Million more overall earnings then savabeel did at the same age!!! Savabeel had had 5 individual group 1 winners and Darci has had 7, 8 if you include Super Easy. Darci's winners to runners ratio is better. I'm not knocking Savabeel as he is a great stallion but Darci Brahma is hugely underrated but that's a comparison to show how well Darci has done! I believe he has been valued at 15K to meet the market in a time where the foal crop is dropping so it gives him every change of having a full book! 

As I stated on the Breeding Forum back on June 7. 

"I have seen a few of his progeny, like what I have seen  and think he will leave some good winners.

2016 fee $8000 + gst represents an excellent opportunity for breeders I believe."  

Unfortunately we have a lot of very mediocre stallions. Although the Darci Brahma's of this world have good stats in NZ, they can't compete in the hot pot. They're not good enough. As soon as the potential is capped, the value isn't there. The other problems with that stallion is the bullshit brigade were hard at work labelling him as a breed shaper when quite obviously he wasn't.

We need more of the right stallions coming to NZ to give ourselves more chances. Interesting to see the performances of Mayson's progeny up north

17 hours ago, rdytdy said:
As I stated on the Breeding Forum back on June 7. 

"I have seen a few of his progeny, like what I have seen  and think he will leave some good winners.

2016 fee $8000 + gst represents an excellent opportunity for breeders I believe."  

Sorry, that was in relation to Power.  

ngatimaru I saw some of his first crop at Karaka earlier  this year. Very good temperaments. Some of the colts were very big and well developed but some of the fillies were on the small size. He will sire winners for sure.