RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Diver Dan

Are our stipes lame, dumb or corrupt?

I just want to draw attention to the continual lack of integrity that seems to pervade the hapless bunch - the RIU.

I can't believe the most obvious question was never asked(regular occurrence) - outlined below by a learned friend of mine.

Ashburton stipes report for Friday last week…the infamous grub Nigel McIntyre was on the panel tar-day….he has no conscience this bloke……a clean up crew clown……this sums up why NZ officials are the worst in the world…..they missed the bleeding obvious tar-day…….they are laughable…..read this…..then I will tell you below it what is 100% obvious and not asked….only incompetent people would not make the connection and ask the only question that matters….this is a betting sport ffs……Nigel is tainted beyond belief….his integrity is non-existent…!

Race 6 RD PETROLEUM OPEN HANDICAP (2100m)

RAPT IN RED stood flat footed as the start was effected losing several lengths. KEEP THE COURAGE was slow in the early stages. UMSHINI WAMI gave ground rapidly from the 800 metres. COME FLY WITH ME lay inwards near the 300 metres and had to be straightened inconveniencing LUCILLE momentarily. PHEASANT was eased down over the concluding stages. Post-race veterinary examinations of UMSHINI WAMI and PHEASANT revealed no apparent abnormalities for either runner. Stewards questioned apprentice T Jonker, in the presence of apprentice jockey mentor W Harnett, in relation to her ride on UMSHINI WAMI. In particular Stewards concerns centred from the 1700 metres to the 1300 metres where the opportunity was present to restrain the gelding. Miss Jonker advised that she had been unaware of the distance between herself and the second horse near the 1700 metres and that the gelding was travelling well within itself. Stewards also questioned trainer K Hughes who advised that the instructions given were to take up a forward position after the start and near the 1500 metres try to ease the horse and give it some respite prior to commencing the gelding’s run to the finish from the 600 metres. Mr Hughes advised that he was disappointed with the gelding’s efforts today and he undertook to notify Stewards if anything comes to light in subsequent days which could have contributed to todays’ performance. After considering their explanations and given Miss Jonkers’ limited experience, Stewards advised Miss Jonker that she had erred in her judgement by not allowing the gelding greater respite earlier in the race. Stewards also advised Miss Jonker that she was to show better judgement in future and was referred to the jockey mentor.

The easy winner of this race tar-day was Speedy Jax that needs a strong clip……it is trained by Kevin and Pam Hughes……now guess who trains that mad farkin leader Umshini Wami?........yep…….same stable as winner…..only in NZ could this incompetence be allowed…..can you believe they asked Kevin Hughes everything but the key question….was Umshini Wami setting up Speedy Jax’s chances?.....Nigel McIntyre was not the boss of the terrible trio tar-day but that just means they have joke panels in the South…..tainted, twits and totally lacking credibility, integrity and intelligence!

If you haven't seen the video it makes for compelling viewing.

SPEEDY JAX wins for fun while UMSHIMI WAMI trails in behind 52lengths away!

The main danger was Come Fly With Me, who likes to be out front and then wind up the pressure. She was not allowed to lead due to the tactics of the tear-away pacemaker.

I have no problem with pacemakers in races, but if the tactic is going to be employed then the punters should know - especially when the horse in question has only ever led two other times in its 54 start career. Punters could reasonably expect for it to take a trail, as is it's normal pattern.

This kind of crap happens far too often in NZ racing and it does make you question the integrity of the sport's judicial system. There are way too many instances of horses being ridden completely upside down and jockeys either not being questioned by the stipes OR the right questions not being asked, as in the example above  

I backed Speedy Jax for that very reason hoping they would set the pace with the other one. The tactics you are talking about have been happening since racing started. That is definitely what I would have done if I was training them.

17 minutes ago, MisterEd said:

I backed Speedy Jax for that very reason hoping they would set the pace with the other one. The tactics you are talking about have been happening since racing started. That is definitely what I would have done if I was training them.

Only in NZ, MisterEd, cos only here would you get away with it :D

42 minutes ago, Phantom said:

What a stupid statement!  There are plenty of examples in other racing jurisdictions of the use of pacemakers, especially in Europe.

By the way I thought the ride on the leader was a shocker, it was out on its feet at the 800m.

Never entered my mind about setting it up for the stablemate, but now that it has been said, well......

34 minutes ago, Phantom said:

You watch some of the so called country meetings in Oz and sometimes you think that sort of thing  goes  on.Horses with couple stablemates in race dropping in price from 16s to 4s within 2 minutes of start.That is why bookies limit to low bets at most of these sort of meets.

Saying that i couldnt imagine the Hughes barn doing that but you never know.

witnessed the race and exactly what this post is about come straight in to my head, the obvious questions were never asked so once again nothing has been done, I would be disappointed in Kevin if he used her and her inexperience to benefit his other runner

11 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Thanks, uneasy, wasn't aware they were still allowed in Europe. Not allowed in Australia, Hong Kong or New Zealand. (stipes please take note). :) 

Maybe not allowed but still happens.Obviously if they had set it up for stablemate(which i doubt)even if the question was asked i doubt they would have got an honest answer anyway.You not going to admit it are you.

Agree Jon Trum. I feel a bit sorry for Tanya Jonker. Umshini Wami had Blinkers on for this race and also a Nose Band added which he may have resented. Even an experienced jockey may have had trouble restraining and rating him. I doubt very much if he was used as a rabbit for Speedy Jax.

Think the original post a bit over the top.      Maybe they should implement a system similar to harness, whereby the horse is given a warning or stood down for poor performance.. Do they do that at the gallops? That way a horse put in a race as a pacemaker would pay the price if that's all it was capable of. Trainer would soon lose horses if that were the case. 

I have an opinion on our Stewards,in a word i would say rubbish.

A horse went through the running rail in the Karaka Million and yet Oatham couldn't charge anyone.Why Not,it would be obvious to Ray Charles AND HAVE HAD THAT CONFIRMED BY THE RIDERS INVOLVED.

We have a guy with limited experience,/Age and from Aussie now running Otago/Southland,Would score a minus c- with me.

We have a guy by the name of Goodwin who will not operate at Awapuni when the rail is out 8m and yet still on the payroll and i believe still misses to much Rating D

We had one named S Ching [Canterbury}who was completely outclassed by M Pitman,so resigned and got a employment with the RIU to police what he couldn't do,what a joke.Ratting E

Now we have have 4 Harness Stewards who achieved NOTHING in there careers,but now lay charges against every code who where many times more successful than any of them. Rating D Minus

We now have a guy by the name of Darren Balcombe who history is with Race with no experience of reading or reporting on races now replacing our Chief Steward who has been replaced because of a casual sex affair.To low to rate

Neil Escott has a huge amount to apologise to our Industry for, as you have given as a previous bankrupt and every failed horse person that had a beer with you.

So with names like Neal,Godber,McIntrye Grimstome,dont trust anyone you can blind with a shoe lace we are doomed.Rating SACKED

We have can bred topliner horses/Drivers/Jockeys who can make it Internationally,Our RIU couldn't apply successfully for the Chathams Islands Christmas Racing. 

Our Stewards cannot believe their luck,they are miles below of an International Standard,but they still get paid,travel NZ,work on average 30 hours a week and get paid for 40 plus,I give up.

On signing off,i would be keen to know who would employ any of them.

SNR

It seems the best qualification you can have for a career in this game is to "NOT make it in this game!"

The current lot of stewards aren't very smart when they take it upon themselves to dope test Chris Johnson at Rangiora trials whereby he was/has been a huge asset to the locals and was one of the few original jockeys not to have given Rangiora the 'slip' after NZTR de-licenced the track.