RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
I know

So what is NZ going to do.

That's the question , I really have no idea if NSW will ban greyhound racing . I'm sure people set to have there world ripped out from under them will have to put up a fight , But what are we here in NZ going to do about it . Before it gets to this worst case scenario . What steps can we put in place to protect ourselves . Having a welfare code , RIU yes but we all need to do more , have better steps in place. Limits need to be put on the number of dogs per person . Gap needs more help there should be at least 5 re homing places in the South Island and a further 6 to 7 in the north island,With at least 30 dogs at one time . The whole of greyhound racing needs to get behind this . We have a choice . What can we do . 

May be they should actually to all these things they claim to do. Regular home checks ??? Once a year after a warning call. Not enough. You need to actually know what's happening out there before it's videotaped. Be strong crack down now before it's too late. Maybe get a independent not stipe to do completely random checks at anytime. Failure to comply gets a kennel shut down on the spot. Come on the honest trainers welcome it before we get shut down too.

1 hour ago, GOM said:

What NZ doesn't need is a knee jerk reaction. We were well ahead already probably because of our size but also to a great degree by the actions of our administrators.

Do you really think we are well ahead? Plenty more to be done and I think you use the word "administrators" and thats all they are!!

As for the kennel checks we have had more kennel checks in the last three years than ever in fact I was beginning to wonder if we were being picked on. The hidden camera's are illegal but I do not know of any trainer that would be worried to have them at their property.

Do I think we are well ahead of NSW , blind Freddy could see that is true, do I think more could be done, that is a loaded question as some may think more to be done means banning the sport. It is a continuous improvement system and of course more will be done as necessary.

Say all you like about the governing body, anyone who knows me knows that I am often their harshest critic yet they every right to feel satisfied with the progress they have made in animal welfare. In fact it has been their actions that have put us in a comfortable position at an uncomfortable time.

I agree that administators was a poor choice of word they are far more than that and at is ironic that the leader of the change was the much maligned previous CEO.

The greyhound industry and its participants need to be seen to be taking meaningful steps to clean up the sport.

The industry needs a Code of Ethics, which all trainers and owners (licenced persons) are required to sign-up to.  

The Code of Ethics should cover everything to do with greyhound welfare and welfare of other animals (i.e. live-baiting), and which goes above what is required under the current rules (or legislation), and meets the standard expected by the general public.  The Code will need to provide avenues for reporting unsavory behavior, also cover what happens in the case of breaches of the Code, i.e. the penalties.

The penalties need to also cover anyone who becomes aware of unsavory practices by others but fails to report.  (In my view, a large part of what has happened in NSW could have been stamped out if people had been willing to speak out rather than turning the other way.)

We need to have a register of all greyhounds born or imported to New Zealand, which need to be updated with exactly what happens to each of the dogs once they finish their racing careers (responsibility of the owner).  Failures to substantiate information, or providing incorrect / inaccurate information sanctioned appropriately.

Need to bring in a licensing system for breeding so that the number of dogs bred does not exceed those required for our current racing schedule, or exceed those which can be reasonably re-homed based on the number of greyhounds coming off the track at any point in time.

The industry needs to fund a unit which upholds this Code of Ethics in a practical, meaningful, and independent way.  Can the industry afford this?  In my view, the industry can't afford not to.

It's no longer acceptable to say "But 90% of us are doing the right thing."  It's time for that 90% to stamp out the other 10%, otherwise the sport does not have a future.

1 hour ago, GOM said:

Too many

McInerney is averaging just under that figure alone, and he's breeding a far far less quality dog than the majority of those coming in from Aus wouldn't you agree? I've been saying it for years he will be the trainer / farmer most likely to get greyhounds shut down in NZ. 

7 hours ago, GONSTA said:

McInerney is averaging just under that figure alone, and he's breeding a far far less quality dog than the majority of those coming in from Aus wouldn't you agree? I've been saying it for years he will be the trainer / farmer most likely to get greyhounds shut down in NZ. 

Mate, he's not the only one who has breed on that scale in NZ as I'm sure most on here would know, the only way I can see greyhounds continuing  10+ yes from now is through regulation of breeding (what some trainers are breeding now is ridiculious and stupid and cannot continue at the rate they are breeding at) and imported dogs aswel as trying to get at least 95% of dogs to the track (even if this means making it more attractable to race slow dogs) and rehomed . 

I haven't read so much garbage for years. What's the difference between breeding calves, foals, lambs, fawns, piglets when we all know they are to be slaughtered and breeding dogs?

Anyone who has been farming will know that all livestock have degrees of intelligence, all can be great mates, all feel pain. We certainly do not need more regulations regarding what and when we breed. I have never come across any trainers using live-baiting - just fishermen. Talk about hypocrisy!

There needs to be some honesty from the thoroughbred and standardbred codes - truckloads of slow horses go into the works everyday without a murmur from the mad greenies.

As for the stupid comments re JT McInerney - the whole business would have folded if he had not kept the numbers up for the South Island meetings. He does not breed from many bitches - he may have several clients who breed many bitches - but he does not.   

7 hours ago, jimmyintheruck said:

I haven't read so much garbage for years. What's the difference between breeding calves, foals, lambs, fawns, piglets when we all know they are to be slaughtered and breeding dogs?

Anyone who has been farming will know that all livestock have degrees of intelligence, all can be great mates, all feel pain. We certainly do not need more regulations regarding what and when we breed. I have never come across any trainers using live-baiting - just fishermen. Talk about hypocrisy!

There needs to be some honesty from the thoroughbred and standardbred codes - truckloads of slow horses go into the works everyday without a murmur from the mad greenies.

As for the stupid comments re JT McInerney - the whole business would have folded if he had not kept the numbers up for the South Island meetings. He does not breed from many bitches - he may have several clients who breed many bitches - but he does not.   

Comments like that will lead to the downfall of the greyhound industry.

'wastage', the term they have coined in the NSW report is the main reason why the greyhound industry has been shut down in that state and from what I can tell, the thouroubred code over in Australia have already started trying to get a grasp on this before the antis go after them aswel, there is no point in pointing the finger at the other codes like that when we are the ones being scrutinized

At the end of the day, it does not matter what you or I or most people discussing this topic think in this forum, it is how the public perceive this problem in our industry that will lead to either our industries success or failure in the future and if we are not prepared for when that time comes (which will be rather soon after the whole NSW fiasco) and our industry does not live up to 21st century standards, than its bye bye to greyhound racing in NZ

:) First thing Everyone needs to stop fighting in house especially on public forum's, I said 6 or 7 years ago on this very site! Greyhounds will be in a lot of dire straights and may even face closure if all do not stick together like family, Blood only makes you related, loyalty makes you family, cheers WB

As an owner, an official at 2 track & as a racing enthusiast the first thing I would do is fight it all the way to the world court & even to the queen if I had to.

What right do people have to say what we are doing is wrong when they have never worked in the industry & know nothing about it? They wouldn't know how much time, work & effort the track staff put into getting it read for a days racing & they wouldn't know how much work effort goes into training the dogs & they sure as hell wouldn't know how much the trainers & owners love each & everyone of their dogs.

Yes I do agree there are some things that need to be worked on to make it safer but as we all know for things to happen it takes time & money.

All dogs love to run no matter what breed they are so why stop them doing what they love to do just because some clowns say it is wrong.

Its always the minority ruining it for the majority sharpy....why is it some animals have more 'rights' than others? DOC are spreading hundreds of millions of dollars of lethal poison around  this country killing tens of thousands of animals who die excruciating deaths legally?