RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Which sector is the most important in racing...

Admin might like to turn this into a poll, and I have a plan to develop the thread, but in the interim I need to gauge which group is the most important in this industry, and to rank them accordingly so that we can develop the thread.

Here are my groups, please rank them for me, and do add to them if you wish.

1. Licensees, trainers and jockeys.

2. Punters

3. Owners 

3a. Feed merchants, vets, farriers, etc.. and those who service the industry.

4. Breeders, professional breeders and part time amateurs.

5. Trackside (and similar) staff

6. Fat bastards in suits who've done nothing but who think they're better than, and know more than, those who actually work in the industry. You'll typically find this type running your racing clubs and gravitating toward head office.

7. Those who currently inhabit head office.

For the benefit of the resident village idiots like Richard Joostens, Kakama, and Murray Fish my ranking is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 although I'd have groups 2&3 rated equal in importance.

Off you go, thanks.

Guest 2Admin2

2, 3, 4, 1.

Many of the individuals with real skin in the game are all three.  However without 2 we don't have any revenue source.  Revenue from other sources doesn't offer us much.  Without 4 you don't have anything to train locally.  Note that the punter gives us revenue on product we don't directly produce as well.

You forget the local club member who to the best of their skill and ability paints fences and helps with the track.  Again many of them are all of the above.

The rest are there at the behest of those with skin in the game. 

1 hour ago, Robert Best said:

How about those who rely on the industry for a living, feed merchants, farriers, vets, wholesalers, pre trainers, breakers etc as a section.

They as a group probably finance the industry more than banks.

How do they finance the industry ? They all supply a service and those that  prop up a large part of the industry  pay the bills 30 days later.

And you all get sucked and brainwashed into another Midget 11 typical diatribe.

Firstly the hypocrisy. If we just mention Midget11 real name the site owner will probably cancel the membership. But for Midget11 having been privy to private information on real posters names now discloses that information. But his own oh no that's taboo. The fact most know who he is is immaterial search engines don't. There are reasons posters don't want there name disclosed just as that.

95% of Midget11 posts all have the theme "I am more important than you how dare you you infringe on my territory." Then without knowing much about the person that disagrees with him he will launch into personally discrediting that person.

Midget11 typifies what is wrong with the industry. Too many think they are more important than others. Now Midget11 invested his future in the industry as an apprentice jockey then got involved in other ways. I respect the knowledge and also admire the effort in getting veterinary qualifications. Even that doesn't give him the right to go about proclaiming he is more important than others. The others may do or not do things that require criticism. However everyone in their own way is important. In fact  those that do the most seldom get the recognition. A good example would be Brenda Collins. The industry had the opportunity to recognise her contribution but chose not to. Ask her after having dealt with a wide cross section what she thinks of many in the industry..

To be fair, without 4 (breeders) ,3 (owners) and 6 (clubs) 1 wouldn't exist.

Why have feed merchants etc so high? They derive their living from the industry and lets face it in the scheme of things their charges are high taking money away from owners. They can also survive without any racing as they also serve all other equine activities.

On top should be owners and punters in my opinion. Without owners there are no horses making 1 redundant and without punters behind the majority funding of stakes there is no industry either. Basically without these two there is no need for all the others.     

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

I'd go 2,3,1 - customers first. The rest the same except I'd move #7 to #57, equal to the number of tequilas you apparently drank the other night.

Can't see how Punters should be above the others Leggy.

Without the owners and the main people that put on the show, the punter has nothing to bet on...

Thanks for your contribution SD, it's always good to know how the fringe groups think, or as is often the case, how they don't think.

As indicated this thread will be developed depending on whether we see some sort of consensus with regard to importance of the various groups, and if there's no pattern I'll ignore it.

Why don't you list your preferences, everyone matters after all and I think we all ultimately want the same thing don't we ?

Too much "cross-over" between the categories to make ranking the divisions more than a fantasy exercise. For what it is worth I would have owners at No.1. Let's not forget that owning is the biggest punt of them all, and in nearly all cases owners are also a large part of the punting group. Licensees still get paid win or lose, not so the owner when the trainer or jockey stuffs up.

As for punters, they can come and go as they please and their financial commitment finishes with the last bet, unlike the owner who has a horse welfare component to his/her involvement.

I know it is a wet, cold day over most of the country but this sort of posting only tends to incite resentment and finger-pointing in our racing community. Hunker down and remember the good times .Go and pour yourself a tequila Midget and stimulate your carnal thoughts over Buckwheat and some of "her" friends.

I'm an owner, punter, small-time breeder...

1. Owners

2. Punters

3.  Licensees, trainers and jockeys.

4. Breeders, professional breeders and part time amateurs.

5. Feed merchants, vets, farriers, etc.. and those who service the industry.

6. Trackside (and similar) staff

7. Fat bastards in suits who've done nothing but who think they're better than, and know more than, those who actually work in the industry. You'll typically find this type running your racing clubs and gravitating toward head office.

7. Those who currently inhabit head office.

If you think all trainers pay their bills on time you are in fantasy land.

Alot do but there a alot who dont.

One thing this down turn in the industry is sorting out are the no hoper trainers.

Who are cheating owners and punters by not feeding horses properly and have little or no chance of ever winning a race.

To be fair a lot of no hoper owners also that take on a horse then don't meet their obligations.  Nothing would make me angrier as a trainer to have an owner dragging the chain and next thing you know they are swanning around the world leading  the life of Riley,  while you are slogging around  in mud at this time of year just  to stay afloat.  I had a mate in business ( not racing ) but it would equally apply , who had a client months behind who informed him he was off to Europe first class on family trust fund.  May Allah curse  all these bloody freeloaders who don't front up in time.

17 minutes ago, hesi said:

Without the % from the punting dollar, the industry could not have developed and would have stayed as an amateur activity.

Like people who walk into a shop to buy something, are not part of the retail industry, punters are also not part of the racing industry, although many racing industry people still punt.

And without the Owners, Trainers and the rest of the support crew, there IS NO SHOW......NOTHING TO BUY.......;)

30 minutes ago, the shue25 said:

I personally believe that no punters,there is no racing .Owners will still be racing their horses against each other around hagley park for 20 shillings.

I see the Australian IQ level hasn't improved.......