RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
meomy

Des Coppin's Trackside radio show

There's been some very good calls coming in from a wide cross section of people across the countryside today.

Des you need to get out of the city & throw away your internet/ computer for at least a week, preferably a month or longer, to experience what some of those folk without computers, i-pads n the internet live like everyday.

It's not a case of go out n buy or use such devices, the reality is there's a vast number of people out there that don't have reasonably accessible internet, or basic internet services, including the cables that it needs to go through in the first place across the whole of NZ, including in the Coromandel, Auckland n elsewhere we might add.

Maybe you might like to look on your internet capable devices first to see where there isn't broadband or other available before you speak.

Just saying..

His show allows feedback on industry issues just like this forum HOWEVER nothing will be done with it . He cant bite the hand that feeds him.

Despite the good intentions hands tied behind back and the guillotine spring to mind.

Criticism has to be channeled through alternative media avenues.

See for yourself by searching various places in and around the countryside where there's no or minimal internet access.

https://broadbandmap.nz/

http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-services/sectors-industries/technology-communications/fast-broadband

Taking Ultra-Fast Broadband and the Rural Broadband Initiative to even more New Zealanders

Government has extended the ultra-fast broadband programme and Rural Broadband Initiative to even more New Zealanders.

An injection of $210 million from the Future Investment Fund will increase the number of New Zealanders with access to UFB from 75 per cent to 80 per cent, meaning approximately 50 additional small towns will have access to fibre internet connections.

More rural New Zealanders will have access to the RBI too, with another $100 million to extend it into even more rural areas. And Government is talking to businesses and communities throughout New Zealand to fix mobile coverage black spots along main highways and at major tourist sites.

Last updated: 11 December 2015

Lots of deflection on the sensitive stuff again this week.

Another elderly gent  got closed down whilst attempting to voice his disapproval of the Racing Supplement changes , the lack of the odds indications ( which I found invaluable AND ARE NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE ELSE and track condition stats. He even offered to give the TAB a dollar a week to have it reinstated he then went on to suggest the TAB profits should cover this more than adequately. 

Des came back with his old chesnut.............. buy a Turf Digest OR a Informant ( must have shares in both ) does it ever occur to him that some of us don't want to spend $360 yr buying what had previously been adequately covered in the old racing liftouts.

I find the whole experience quite frustrating thumbing my way through dozens of pages poorly indexed whilst the TV swaps from the dirt track at Broome to the Pakeham trots whilst I wait for the PIck six result from NZ.

It must be nearly a 10 weeks since the changes and you cant deny there is a groundswell to support criiticism of the changes yet not one word from the authorities on the subject............. a bit like the old Prostrate check. Arrogance personified

Ivan no trots at Pakenham! Best Bets and Informant are ESSENTIAL reading for punters. I have raised a number of complaints with Des. I have no problems with his responses.My main complaint about lack of information is the paucity of stats displayed on the Singapore and Hong Kong sheets in the TAB.

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

Ivan no trots at Pakenham! Best Bets and Informant are ESSENTIAL reading for punters. I have raised a number of complaints with Des. I have no problems with his responses.My main complaint about lack of information is the paucity of stats displayed on the Singapore and Hong Kong sheets in the TAB.

Sorry , Pakenham Trots was a ewefourmizm , essential I think yes now because the greatest percentage of interested punters have made do without these until now and its all we have left unless you want to go blind trying to read the Herald.

Good luck waiting for your HK and Singa info whilst the rest of us sleep in our cars.

1 hour ago, barryb said:

You could buy a smart phone Ivan and then you wouldn't need to buy a print version of anything ever again.

Actually , I have had an iPhone since 2010 it was a 3G which I have replaced with versions 4 , and 5.

For what it's worth the best form and information is available from the TAB website under Form Guides ( expanded ) which will tell you when each horse last had a fart.

What we are talking about is a simple easy to refer too version not the 32 page version.

I heard Copps banging on about John Magnus giving TVs for use in Trenthams members for Steeple day, I laugh because usually the track TV's are hooked into the PA system and you never hear any inter track races! and does ol Dessy boy know about the delay of watching on his flash TV's? the steeples winner will be finishing while you are watching the top of the straight already knowing the winner! How about a dedicated TV room where we can watch ALL racing without interruptions and manned betting windows? like a TAB on course! too easy I say, I can't believe tracks don't have this (Trentham for sure), no wonder people don't go on course anymore. Des you are NOT listening......but then again what's new.

Defending the indefensible this morning re dog race banning in NSW.  Get a cheap calculator say $2 and do the maths , how many dogs born a year divided by the number of registered racing. Forget the adoption of them and I had a GAP dog myself once IT CANT KEEP UP.

STOP thinking of the TAB and its bloody money they don't give a shit after all look at the misery they are happy to inflict on punters every week. When was the last time the experts picked a quaddie or pick 6with their expert opinion.

:D

HERALD LIFTOUT A  MAJOR BONE OF CONTENTION AGAIN TODAY................ ACCORDING TO DES IF YOU DONT LIKE THE CHANGE YOU ARE PROBABLY  70 YEARS OLD LIKE HIM , DONT KNOW HOW TO USE A COMPUTER ( CLOSE ) AND DONT LIKE CHANGE. AND ANOTHER PLUG FOR THE INFORMANT.

WAKE UP YOU SILLY FOOL, I ENJOY ALL YOUR INPUT BUT YOU ARE DEFENDING THE INDEFENDABLE. WHY SHOULD WE BUY YOUR PAPER.

ONE OF THE CALLERS WHO HAD BEEN FOBBED OFF BY HUGH ROBERTSON OFFERED THIS GENTS PHONE NUMBER WHO IS REPORTED TO BE THE MAN WHO MADE THE CALL ON THIS, THERE WAS MORE DUCKING THAN AN OLYMPIC BREASTSTROKE RACE.

21 minutes ago, ivanthegreat said:

HERALD LIFTOUT A  MAJOR BONE OF CONTENTION AGAIN TODAY................ ACCORDING TO DES IF YOU DONT LIKE THE CHANGE YOU ARE PROBABLY  70 YEARS OLD LIKE HIM , DONT KNOW HOW TO USE A COMPUTER ( CLOSE ) AND DONT LIKE CHANGE. AND ANOTHER PLUG FOR THE INFORMANT.

WAKE UP YOU SILLY FOOL, I ENJOY ALL YOUR INPUT BUT YOU ARE DEFENDING THE INDEFENDABLE. WHY SHOULD WE BUY YOUR PAPER.

ONE OF THE CALLERS WHO HAD BEEN FOBBED OFF BY HUGH ROBERTSON OFFERED THIS GENTS PHONE NUMBER WHO IS REPORTED TO BE THE MAN WHO MADE THE CALL ON THIS, THERE WAS MORE DUCKING THAN AN OLYMPIC BREASTSTROKE RACE.

I heard that call, the guy had Hugh Robinson's mobile number and email address and wanted to give it out on air so everyone could contact him directly to complain. You could almost hear Coppins choking while he thought up a reason not to give the details out. The caller had already complained to Robinson about breeding being omitted from form guides but got fobbed off. Then Coppins reveals he knows Robinson well, and that he's a really good guy. Predictably Coppins refused to put the contact details to air. Talk about protecting your mates !

Agree Des Ducked n dived as good as any politician I've seen. Understand not giving out the blokes  mobile bug heck why not his e.mail address. Seemed like he was covering up for someone . 

On 3/07/2016 at 6:54 PM, Jon Trum said:

How about a dedicated TV room where we can watch ALL racing without interruptions and manned betting windows? like a TAB on course! too easy I say, I can't believe tracks don't have this (Trentham for sure), no wonder people don't go on course anymore.

Trying being in the public stand / lounge at Ellerslie when they are having "Irish Day" or one of the many other days that they have to "bring in the public". Notice I said the Public stand / lounge, not the members lounges. These "new" patrons are never sighted the following week but while they there usually half the place is roped off and rooms reserved. Give up trying to watch and listen to a race from another meeting! My TV at home gets BOTH racing channels and the volume is just about right... yes no wonder people don't go on course anymore.

Did we just hear correctly a gentleman named Owen phone in n say he's had to provide the TAB with private medical information to justify his basic right to use a selected phone number to use for betting on?

If we that's indeed what's been asked of customers that's a serious privacy matter that some must take up with the Privacy Commissioners office.

Unbelievable and grossly intrusive to be asking people to go get a Medical Report/ Certification just to be able to follow a sport in such a manner n place bets.

51 minutes ago, meomy said:

Did we just hear correctly a gentleman named Owen phone in n say he's had to provide the TAB with private medical information to justify his basic right to use a selected phone number to use for betting on?

If we that's indeed what's been asked of customers that's a serious privacy matter that some must take up with the Privacy Commissioners office.

Unbelievable and grossly intrusive to be asking people to go get a Medical Report/ Certification just to be able to follow a sport in such a manner n place bets.

Yes I picked that up as well so basically prove your sick and need to speak with a human or suck it up and use touchtone.

Another thing I got from that call is how rude Des came across at the end as the gentleman was talking about how they have no wrap up at the end of the day just go to another race meeting , Des didnt even acknowledge his statement he just said " Oh thanks it 10.30 will take more calls soon" does Des not like to have an opinion when it comes to Trackside?

There was also a very good phone call as to where John Allen would be having his Road Show that someone had heard about but didn't know any details of so clearly this has not been promoted and advertised in places where the wider community needs to learn about it. Why not?

The caller made a very valid point about there not been a meeting in the Hawkes Bay region where one may reasonably expect them to have one.

Maybe a few of you on here could pick up your phones and ensure those in areas without reasonable internet let those people know so they can try contact the said John Allen and ensure those regions also have a visit from him and have there say!

Incidentally, does anyone know which rural region racetracks John Allen has attended Race club day meetings?

Including that of where they have had Racedays taken away from them?

We would be most interested to see this information publicly available.

Good on him today for backing the caller that complained about that bolting horse at Ruakaka that was passed fit to start only to run well short of expectations ( no surprises here ). May have been passed fit to run but who wants there money running on it. imagine if it had been the last race in a pick 6 worth 200k !!

Unfortunately he the reverted back to Mr Space Invader for the TAB to protect the " super " .