RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
WhoKnows

Southland dogs

You are right.The Southland Club were made to have these so called reconditioned boxes. The Engineering Firm in Wanganui dont know how to fix them. Also they belong to GRNZ and they don't know how to fix them either. Today wasn't an electrical fault. We all know it is frustrating but demanding a brand new set seems the only answer.

Why did they take these sets of Boxs ? Did they have no other choice ? The story was the day the fields were drawn they were still trying to fix them from there previous meeting true ? Why after a false start can the starter hand start the remaining races if the trip doesn't work ? Would he be better off being prepared for this to happen from the get go ? 

Upon further inspection of the 390 metre starting boxes by the on-course Electrician following the event it was established that the mechanical failure was due to a jammed metal latch which holds the box in place and subsequently was unable to release. The Club advised that further testing will be carried out on the starting boxes in consultation with Greyhound Racing New Zealand

The Board made them have these boxes as they wanted all tracks to have the same. They are only 12 months old from being reconditioned and are rusting already. Southland wanted to buy Stirling Boxes that are used in Aussie but were told they wasnt aloud.

This message is to inform you that NZGRA and Southland Greyhounds have been working  closely with Taylor Engineering (the supplier) to eliminate the  intermittent problem of  the 390m  boxes failing to open.

Southland to their credit has done everything in its power  to rectify/eliminate the problem, they have made significant changes to all external electrics, which has included the manufacturing of a new switching plate.

Each time the boxes have failed to open,  it has been a different fault which has caused considerable frustration to everyone, for which we apologise.

The latest issue (21/6/16) has been identified to be a problem with the solenoid, a new solenoid (heavy duty) with a stronger pull is being shipped, on fitment there will be a number of other checks carried out to ensure the problem is not a mechanical fault further on from the solenoid.

If the problem still exists after the solenoid is swapped out, a more significant decision will be made around this set of boxes.

Posted on 22/06/2016 11:54:13 a.m.

< Back

The Club was - to my limited knowledge, remembering I am not on the Board now - given no financial assistance from NZGRA to buy the Aussie- made boxes. I believe they would have had 50% of the cost given to them if they had purchased the Whanganui- made ones.

I think the cost was around $100K.

Please do not quote me until  I get some verification.

Apparently there is a Department in the Internal Affairs which has $1m to assist with a Racing Safety Development Fund.

Twice a year (September and March) clubs can put forward a proposal for some of that spend. They will pay half and you find the other half. I am not sure of the upper limit but it might be $100K.

The CGRC applied for a grant to purchase the Steriline boxes which it seems are the boxes of choice in most of the greyhound states in Australia. Their request was declined, seemingly because it was not supported by the NZGRA who wanted the club to purchase the Taylor boxes. The CGRC put the issue to their members who voted to go for the Steriline boxes. They purchased two sets at $A40K each.

The "old" boxes have not gone anywhere yet. There is a possibility they may be available to the OTB when or if they develop a new track.

It amazes me how the board can have such authority on some matters,hiowever when it comes to people and their livelihood they are nowhere to be seen and make statements like "its out of our hands" or "I know nothing about it".

Lets hope the clubs demand an explanation for some of these awful decisions being made.

AC