RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
bazach

On-Line sale v Karaka auction 29th July

I just wonder whether there is any point having a sale at Karaka at the end of July with

two on-line auctions now operating. Usually there are only around a hundred horses entered, and the numbers on the on-line auctions aren't too bad seeing it is a new concept. Opinions?

The passed in rate is a hell of a lot more higher with the On Line Auctions, I have liked and bid on more than a few so far, only to be dismayed at the absolute dream material reserves some of these horses have on them.

The crazy reserves set will put people off in a short space of time.

When bidding stagnates at $4000, its passed in and the reserve pops up at $20k, its bloody hard to not roar with laughter.

On 6/15/2016 at 6:25 AM, barryb said:

The passed in rate is a hell of a lot more higher with the On Line Auctions, I have liked and bid on more than a few so far, only to be dismayed at the absolute dream material reserves some of these horses have on them.

The crazy reserves set will put people off in a short space of time.

When bidding stagnates at $4000, its passed in and the reserve pops up at $20k, its bloody hard to not roar with laughter.

It does cost a lot to breed, feed and raise horses properly.  

I don't think it is unreasonable for vendors to expect a return.

Ultimately it is personal choice what anybody pays or accepts for a sale price.

As someone once said, If a deal is struck the horse changes paddocks, if not it stays in the paddock it's in :-)

On 17/06/2016 at 6:42 PM, Irishbay said:

It does cost a lot to breed, feed and raise horses properly.  

I don't think it is unreasonable for vendors to expect a return.

Ultimately it is personal choice what anybody pays or accepts for a sale price.

As someone once said, If a deal is struck the horse changes paddocks, if not it stays in the paddock it's in :-)

Trouble is Irishbay, the vast majority of horses are worth their most as a yearling & they depreciate from there, the $ spent on breed, feed and raise DO NOT increase the $ value of the horse.

It is only worth what someone wants to pay for it, not what value you put into it. they are very similar to cars, they depreciate despite what it costs to maintain. Some appreciate but that is more linked to performance or scarcity than anything else.

On 6/19/2016 at 5:15 PM, barryb said:

Trouble is Irishbay, the vast majority of horses are worth their most as a yearling & they depreciate from there, the $ spent on breed, feed and raise DO NOT increase the $ value of the horse.

It is only worth what someone wants to pay for it, not what value you put into it. they are very similar to cars, they depreciate despite what it costs to maintain. Some appreciate but that is more linked to performance or scarcity than anything else.

Yes interesting point and probably right about the price peaking as a yearling unless there is a performance or you have a Tavistock tucked away.

I guess a deal is never done unless the two parties agree on a price :-) 

Interesting catalogue this month with several Tavistocks of various ages. Some of the broodmares are quite well bred.

It would seem that there are a few vendors catching onto the concept, who possibly think "it is worth a go for little or no cost". This may explain the high reserves but it could, in the medium term, under mine the sale so it will be a balancing act NZB / Gavelhouse will have play.

Interesting to see in the results and breakdown of bids a few familiar names. especially on unreserved auctions where the same name biding on the lot is in fact the sole owner registered on NZ Racing. Know these things can be slow to update so have to give the benefit of the doubt. 

I must have been Lucky.

Saw a yearling for sale out woop woop for $2500

liked the look of him ,but could not be bothered driving all that way.

so offered $1200 unseen.

was small but a nice type.

broke him in & gave him 3 trials for 2 2nds.

Sold him to Singapore for $30,000

He won his owners $190,000 Sing$ before losing an eye.

He is now a Star in Malaysia in a Riding for the Disabled place.

His nickname was ATM.because he kept spitting out money.

Apparrantly he had Won $66.000 Sing$ before he won his first race.

I had fun,

The Singapore syndicate had fun.

Makes racing Fun ?