RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
meomy

Chanui Tea to the rescue - Raceday sponsors

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11653519

Booze ban at horse races

1:28 PM Thursday Jun 9, 2016
  • Save
No booze will be sold at Trentham on Saturday. No booze will be sold at Trentham on Saturday.

There won't be a champagne flute in sight at the Wellington winter races this weekend.
Instead, it seems raised pinkie fingers and gently sipped tea will be de rigueur.

The Wellington Racing Club failed an undercover sting during January's Wellington's Cup Day when an under-age buyer without ID was served alcohol on one occasion.

As a consequence, the club cannot serve liquor at its winter races at Trentham Racecourse this Saturday.

Thanks to a corporate sponsorship deal with Chanui Tea, several races will be named after the brand's products and tea will be available for punters at the course.

The alcohol-free day was agreed between the club, police and the Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority in punishment for the cup day infraction.

- NZ Herald

• Email
  • Print

Chanui Tea to the rescue!!

This reminds us of when Bell Tea were sponsors of Racedays or was it other horse industry events?

Maybe we will see a return to the good ole days of proper tea and food available.. "High tea and cakes anyone?"

Oh the timing with Queen Elizabeth's 90th birthday, the current matriarch of Horse Racing, we get that feel alive flavour alas, doesn't Her Majesty drink Twining's tea?

It's a shame that Wellington Racing Club hadn't thought of the alternative sponsorship prior to this and capitalized on the occasion better.

All the best for a successful day and let's hope this helps put Horse Racing in NZ back in it's rightful place of all New Zealander's lives again in a positive manner

Can someone tell me if there was more involved (historical breaches?) than one under age person in a sting being sold one drink? On the busiest day of the year.

I get host responsibility and all of that - but surely there is more to it than that. 

9 hours ago, chelseacol said:

Can someone tell me if there was more involved (historical breaches?) than one under age person in a sting being sold one drink? On the busiest day of the year.

I get host responsibility and all of that - but surely there is more to it than that. 

No, it was a sting by the Police. At the seventh attempt, the 17 year old Police stooge who looked twenty finally managed to buy a drink after previously being turned away at other bars at around the track. Remember this was Cup Day, thus all bars would have been very busy and therefore easy for a bar person to make a mistake although that's no excuse  

Now if you go back 6 or 7 years, in fact right back to the year Rod and Racheal were there, there was a problem of the youth overindulging. A bit like AddingtAddington and Riccarton on their Cup days but it's nothing like that these days. It's all very well behaved.  Ask Porky who was there.

Meanwhile houses were being robbed with no police attention etc etc etc

I'm not downplaying the role Police have to play re alcohol and the consequences..... but it does seem that sporting/racing events cop undue attention.

Anyone who goes out on a weekend night in any big city will know some people will always drink too much. And a small subset of those then become troublemakers.

Ok sermon over... time for a gin - whoops coffee

14 hours ago, chelseacol said:

It sounds like a deal was struck with the police so the police didn't issue them with a strike against there licence for the cup day breach.I guess they are thinking about when they need to apply for future licences and the issues other courses have had with there licences as the police seem oppose them on any grounds they can.

I would be interested to know if they had passed the seventh attempt how many more would have been done.

15 hours ago, chelseacol said:

despicable behaviour by the police    ENTRAPMENT  ENTRAPMENT  but what is worse they failed 6   times with a 17 year old with a beard who looked 20

2 hours ago, bloke said:

A few weeks ago I enjoyed a good meal at a restaurant in Courtenay Place. Afterwards I noticed many "munted"  youths as I made my way home through Courtenay Place but not a Plod to be seen. Compare this to Cup Day & The Sevens when there is wall to wall Plod.

The Police stuffed the sevens   Speeding tickets, minor liquor act breaches while the burglars thrive!!  and today another police killing at Paeroa

apparently all the deceased had was a machete

Rumpers we all have to comply with the SSAA, the only difference between us and the WRC is that we're under the microscope 365 days a year, the WRC probably about 3 days a year.

We spill more piss in a busy week than the WRC would sell in a month....that's a fact....and we never fxxk up, touch wood, because we have systems, and highly trained staff who don't breach the law.

Stop whinging about the SSAA, and the Police, they're only doing their job, and you should spend your time and energy assisting the WRC, and all racing clubs, with staff training and understanding of the law, followed by compliance, then you'll find the Police will leave you alone.

FYI in my considerable experience the Police will have done considerable "intell" with undercover staff before they intervened so whilst you might bleat that there's only been one transgression I can assure you there'll have been dozens, if not hundreds, before the Police and DLA mount an undercover operation as described.

The law applies to everyone evenly and fairly Rumpers, that's how the system works.

Midget...

Your last post seems to indicate that you have no problem living in a "secret society", in thrall to those who control those who control the rest of us. If the police had "intel" about transgressions, then they should be open about that information and in so doing, preserve their own integrity and the respect that the police force in general has every reason to expect.

The way that they have handled this matter has the potential to bring the whole police force into disrepute and this would be majorly unjustified.

Cheers.

Ashoka

Have a wee sit down Asoka, the Police are applying the SSAA as it was intended, to protect you and all members of society from alcohol abuse and the consequences thereof.

If that underage drinker had been served, got pissed and drove home, and ran over and killed one of your children, king hit an innocent party or raped an innocent girl would you still be crying and bleating the way you are ?

The law is there for a reason Ashoka, have a little sit down, take a reality pill, and have a wee think about it.

For the record it doesn't stop us operating very good and busy establishments so why should the WRC be any different ?

It's a bit like the speed limit, it's there for a reason, and you can ignore the limit if you wish, but if you fxxk up, have an accident and kill or maime someone then you have to accept the consequence......or in your case you blame the Police because you broke the law 

Midget...

I have drunk in many more pubs than you have managed and I have watched as the alcohol laws have been flouted, mismanaged, thwarted and perverted. The perversion starts with the drafting of the legislation and goes further downhill from there. The enforcement of the liquor licensing laws has always been arbitrary at best, so I can understand why you seem to feel the need to genuflect to the establishment.

The manner in which this incident has been handled and used to preserve the seeming sanctity of the law is perverse to a rational mind and downright dangerous to anybody concerned about civil liberties. My opinion is based on the reported facts. If there are any other relevant facts, then these need to be reported in order to allow a member of the public to make an informed decision as to the rights and wrongs of this incident.

Based on what has been reported, the police appear to have gone to elaborate lengths to effectively orchestrate an offence, and then used their influence to impose a penalty that seems to be way out of proportion to the actuality of the said offence.

There has always been a major disconnect between the police use of alcohol within their own precincts and the manner in which the police tend to treat the general public for doing the same thing. This disassociation from factual evidence also seems to apply when the police and licensing authorities have to consider the application of the law to other parties, with some given an easy ride while others have to jump through hoops that don't even exist. Hypocrisy is a word that easily springs to mind in relation to the matter at hand.

Cheers.

Ashoka

Try Queenstown or the Viaduct Ashoka.

You'd be leaping from a paddling pool into the ocean of life with some lessons along the way.

Enough anyway, I'm giving you oxygen when you don't deserve it.

Best.

11 hours ago, Insider said:

it was a sting by the Police. At the seventh attempt, the 17 year old Police stooge who looked twenty finally managed to buy a drink after previously being turned away at other bars at around the track. Remember this was Cup Day, thus all bars would have been very busy and therefore easy for a bar person to make a mistake

On 6/9/2016 at 4:55 PM, meomy said:

"High tea and cakes anyone?"

3 hours ago, Ashoka said:

Midget...

Based on what has been reported, the police appear to have gone to elaborate lengths to effectively orchestrate an offence, and then used their influence to impose a penalty that seems to be way out of proportion to the actuality of the said offence.

Very unfortunate for the Club...I will have a finger up...and it wont be the little one, or directed at the club either.

21 hours ago, chelseacol said:

Best to have a look through the nzlli databases for that info under the various names the liquor licencing authorities are named by.

Looking forward to seeing if we will also as an added bonus from Chanui having them as a raceday sponsor for Chanui Christchurch Cup week, after all Chanui are based in Chch...

5 hours ago, gubellini said:

I am going to start buying Chanui tea and biscuits!

Highly recommend the Gingernuts n Anzac biscuits, almost as good as homemade ones.

Our local New World often has a good deal on them n they are Christchurch, NZ made, not sure if all the ingredients are NZ produced though. It should be on there website.

It's great to see a new sponsor in our industry n we hope it leads to other sponsorship across the board.

Maybe a Chanui Hanui Championship series across the countryside...

Share the love that Chanui n Wellington Racing Club have and give some credit on there websites n facebook etc pages.

One never knows where it may lead to for our industry, Chanui syndicate, is one natural possibility.

The guy who is pictured on there website looks like a younger bloke n good on them for joining the Horse racing ranks.

www.chanui.com/