RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Living in the shadow of..

Not really racing but surely worth a mention.

Anyone else find it amazing to have lived in the era of both Nelson Mandela and now Muhammad Ali ?

Two extraordinary human beings, both falsely maligned and tainted by the media, but both evolved into about as wonderful an example of the species as we've ever seen, and probably as great a human as there's ever been.

Even saying RIP doesn't quite seem enough for someone so great, but sadly his fifteen wonderful rounds of life are over, so go have a good long sleep Muhammad....or float like a butterfly....it's been quite some privilege to have shared this time with you 

Everyone has their own memories of events that stick in their minds. I remember when Ali visited Australia and was a guest on the top rating TV Show, "In Melbourne Tonight". He was interviewed by Bert Newton and At one point, Ali answered a question in his own mischievous and comic way. Bert turned to the audience and said, "I LIKE the Boy". Calling a Negro a boy was apparently an insult from the slave days and Ali looked at Bert with a steely eye and said "What did you just say?". Bert looked a piece of chocolate on a hot summers day. I'll never forget that moment. Ali was a gentle superstar. There will never be another like him. He makes Anthony Mundine look so cheap - which he is.

Just been reading on different newspaper websites the various tributes by so called celebrities to THE GREAT ONE.

The majority are from African Americans who have achieved some form of success in their chosen career.

What concerns me is that these same people have nothing to say on the African American killing of other African Americans in places like Chicago and Detroit just to name a couple.

Maybe JFK was correct when he said""victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan'''..

Yes Champion who took on all comers. Battled his health issues as he did his opponents. All the world was interested in boxing when Ali plyed his trade. The ring was his stage. 

Manila and Kinshasa were epic battles. Super showman and person. RIP

5 hours ago, Midget said:

Two extraordinary human beings, both falsely maligned and tainted by the media, but both evolved into about as wonderful an example of the species as we've ever seen, and probably as great a human as there's ever been.

The media doesn't give up. Even now the change when Ali went from Cassius Clay to  Muhammad Ali  is under reported or sidestepped.

After all we can't have the youth of America following in Ali's footsteps and converting to Islam now can we. The media backlash when the change occurred was enormous and yes Ali won them over in the end. Its not so much what Mohammad Ali did but the failings and ingrained bias of the media along with the non thinking public who just accept whats the current status quo. The same malignment has occurred with for example Gadaffi. Look where Libya is now. 

1 hour ago, Jon Trum said:

Gadaffi into Ali just doesn't fit? I don't think Midget was giving Gadaffi a thought when posting. 

Well try Sadaam Hussein. I am not trying to denigrate the great boxer but just demonstrating the conditioned thinking of some.

You could argue Iraq is a lot worse off without Sadaam.

FFS we're celebrating the wonderful life of a sportsman, a humanitarian, benefactor, philanthropist, and an inspiration to the world, a man who traversed all boundaries be they race, religion, or political persuasion.

Stop polluting the thread with contaminated despots and scum please. It has no relevance.

29 minutes ago, Midget said:

FFS we're celebrating the wonderful life of a sportsman, a humanitarian, benefactor, philanthropist, and an inspiration to the world, a man who traversed all boundaries be they race, religion, or political persuasion.

Stop polluting the thread with contaminated despots and scum please. It has no relevance.

Thats just the hypocritical thinking I was talking about. If you are not prepared to take on board what Mohammed Ali stood for and listen to what he was saying don't pretend you are in mourning or is it you live in a bubble and only want to hear what you agree with.

The least you could do is consider what Mohammed Ali had to say.

Slam Dunk, I think you are forgetting that Ali is probably the most high profile Athlete in the world (since perhaps Jesse Owen) who converted to the Islamic faith and did so peacefully. He lived drug and alcohol free and lived his faith in the manner in which many moderate Islamic followers do - in peacefully co-existence. Not sure why you would want to mention him in the same breath as Gadaffi, a known terrorist who ordered the shooting down of a fully laden Jumbo jet over Lockerbie. Or even Sadam Hussain, an evil murdering Dictator who killed millions of his own race. Unless of course you are of unsound mind or principles? 

Trump...

There is far more to what "Slam Dunk" is saying than you appear to be able to appreciate. The two men mentioned, Gaddafi and Hussain, are the two men who broke the evil and pernicious hold that the oil industry had over their countries and many others. They were cruel and inhumane dictators, but so were those they replaced. So were those from the Northern Hemisphere that imposed subjugation upon the people of Africa, the Americas, the Middle East and Asia. There were times, of course, when this was around the other way. Such is human behaviour.

Mr Ali's message outside the ring was one of peace, understanding and brotherhood through honest and open discourse.

The original post made by "Midget" sums this matter up nicely and accurately, in my opinion.

All the best.

Ashoka

crustyngrizzly...

Unlike virtually all of your posts, I find your latest post, in this thread, to be not only inaccurate but tasteless and stupid. The tributes you reference are coming from people of all ethnicities and backgrounds, which, in itself, constitutes a tribute to the individual concerned. People of, purportedly, African-American heritage are clearly a minority here.

This is a time to celebrate the achievements of a great man who has just passed...and to consider the message that his life gives us.

Other matters, no matter how valid, can be put on hold for a moment in time as the life that has just ended is eminently worthy of contemplation.

All the best.

Ashoka

2 hours ago, Ashoka said:

Mr Ali's message outside the ring was one of peace, understanding and brotherhood through honest and open discourse.

The original post made by "Midget" sums this matter up nicely and accurately, in my opinion.

All the best.

Ashoka

Well said. 

10 hours ago, Trump said:

Slam Dunk, I think you are forgetting that Ali is probably the most high profile Athlete in the world (since perhaps Jesse Owen) who converted to the Islamic faith and did so peacefully. He lived drug and alcohol free and lived his faith in the manner in which many moderate Islamic followers do - in peacefully co-existence. Not sure why you would want to mention him in the same breath as Gadaffi, a known terrorist who ordered the shooting down of a fully laden Jumbo jet over Lockerbie. Or even Sadam Hussain, an evil murdering Dictator who killed millions of his own race. Unless of course you are of unsound mind or principles? 

Gadaffi gave millions to the Nation of Islam.

When Malcolm X heard about the hit that was put on him by the Nation of Islam,Malcolm X reached out to Ali for help.

None came.

Ali later said''''''turning my back on Malcolm was the mistake that I regret most in my life'''...

Ashoka as far as tasteless,stupid and inaccurate are concerned,i respect your opinion of which you are entitled,thats not to say I agree.

crustyngrizzly...

I apologise for my use of the word "stupid". It was, in fact, very stupid of me to use the word in the given context.

The fact that Mr Ali could bring himself to admit to such a major error of judgement and express his regret speaks volumes in regard to his character. If only those who choose to govern us could be cut from the same cloth...

The funding of extremist organisations is a vexed question in the extreme. They could not be funded without the complicity of the world banking system and the complicity of a major segment of the leaders of the world's nations. Gaddafi is no standout in this regard.

All the best.

Ashoka

PS I respect your opinions and appreciate the fact that you post them. Sometimes, when I reply quickly (please read, without appropriate thought) on matters that have "touched a vein", I let myself down. I regret this as the written word, while it can be retracted, can never be expunged.

29 minutes ago, kakama said:

Midget, 

Living in the shadow of......???

You are a little like him, both think they are the greatest....only one delivered.

Why yes I mentioned two men who stood tall and who've cast a giant shadow over humanity, a shadow that we have the privilege to live in, Muhammad Ali and Nelson Mandela.

I note some nutters drew comparisons with Hussein and Gadaffi, and you've thrown my name into the mix.

That rather sums you up I suppose, you're a stalker and you're neither funny, witty, or even entertaining.

I'm quite happy just to acknowledge that even breathing the same air as the two I mentioned makes us all better people, and their existence has made the world a better place, and you could feel free to mention others worthy of such adoration, but you won't because you can't.

On Saturday, June 04, 2016 at 7:42 PM, Midget said:

Not really racing but surely worth a mention.

Anyone else find it amazing to have lived in the era of both Nelson Mandela and now Muhammad Ali ?

Even saying RIP doesn't quite seem enough for someone so great, but sadly his fifteen wonderful rounds of life are over, so go have a good long sleep Muhammad....or float like a butterfly....it's been quite some privilege to have shared this time with you 

Well said Midget, but you forgot to mention the womanising :ph34r:.

51 minutes ago, kakama said:

Mike Tyson....

Kind of what I've come to expect from you.

Ali, religion, politics, racism, pacifism, benevolence, philanthropy........he traversed and excelled in his own way at them all, and you come up,with Tyson....