RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Shocking Coverage

11 hours ago, Behind the 8 Ball said:

GEE!!! I'm FULL OF COMPLAINTS!!!

We don't get to see THE HORSE enough in pre race!!! SO OFTEN  you Do NOT get to see ALL the horses before the race!!!

Often when showing the PRELIMS!!! they have NO IDEA AT ALL where to 'set up the prelim camera'...  Often you get to see a horses ARSE GOING  OFF into the DISTANCE!!!

SO OFTEN you Do NOT get to see All the horses doing their Prelims!!! often leading horse's are not shown!!!!

I say all the above happens as the Director has NO FECKING IDEA about what a FIT Horse actually looks like!! and hence doesn't think its important to film and edit the action for the above to happen.... 

ALL my betting is 'locked in' by how the LOOKS TO ME pre race! doing it prelim... about how well it looks around at the start! 

Hence I've pretty much stopped betting on the 'product' on offer via the NZTAB/Trackside... sadly so.... :(

You seeing the arse end of the horse has nothing to do with trackside and all to do with the racing club staff and also the designs of birdcages.

eg Trentham last weekend clarly didnt want the horses going out the birdcage gate up before the winning post because it was very wet so all the horses went out the gate past the winning post, which means you just see the arse end of the horses. If trackside was to place a couple of extra cameras out in a different location just to capture prelims because of silly club stuff sending horses out a particular gate for the reason of "oh thats what we have always done", or another way to put  it is tradition (tradition is not always the best way), or a genuine reason like in winter not rooting the track at the 100m point where they will be racing - then trackside would have jusy another cost in extra cameras and extra staff to man them. 

Answer: club staff need to think about that kind of stuff, maybe send the clark of the course 150m up the straight and make the field go around them and back down the straight so the main race cameras can capture the prelims as they should be

5 hours ago, Berri said:

No you are not correct. There is a deduction from the overall bet which places money into a reserve fund to supplement their bonus fund. If you didn't have a reserve fund this would be distributed to the prize pool

What I posted was copied and pasted from the TAB website:

https://www.tab.co.nz/information/#news/2016-05-31/first4-bonuses-extended-to-june

13 hours ago, Behind the 8 Ball said:

GEE!!! I'm FULL OF COMPLAINTS!!!

We don't get to see THE HORSE enough in pre race!!! SO OFTEN  you Do NOT get to see ALL the horses before the race!!!

I say all the above happens as the Director has NO FECKING IDEA about what a FIT Horse actually looks like!! and hence doesn't think its important to film and edit the action for the above to happen.... 

ALL my betting is 'locked in' by how the LOOKS TO ME pre race! doing it prelim... about how well it looks around at the start! 

Hence I've pretty much stopped betting on the 'product' on offer via the NZTAB/Trackside... sadly so.... :(

You might have a point therel...More pre recorded detailed close ups and wide shots of horses "looks"

and try to get through field in the birdcage and behind barriers...more beneficial to punter and better use of time, than prelims

(unless horse reefing and pulling and playing up in pre-lim)...(thats how I pick em also," on looks")..

I guess what your saying is have camera positioned inside rail panning horse out of birdcage and around to barrier

(still wouldn,t get all horses as they come out in pairs sometimes and pretty quick,/multiple cameras,another camera for zooms?)

BUT MATE , Give the Director some slack, he,s not God,and doesn,t have time to be selecting racehorses "on looks"

He,s hard out working my friend....in between a race jumping at Ellerslie, 3 minutes to Randwick, Sound, Divs etc

That is what George Simon is for!...much better strike rate than the rest put together and usually only selects one @ value.  

7 hours ago, MrBigStuff said:

You seeing the arse end of the horse has nothing to do with trackside and all to do with the racing club staff and also the designs of birdcages.

eg Trentham last weekend clarly didnt want the horses going out the birdcage gate up before the winning post because it was very wet so all the horses went out the gate past the winning post, which means you just see the arse end of the horses. If trackside was to place a couple of extra cameras out in a different location just to capture prelims because of silly club stuff sending horses out a particular gate for the reason of "oh thats what we have always done", or another way to put  it is tradition (tradition is not always the best way), or a genuine reason like in winter not rooting the track at the 100m point where they will be racing - then trackside would have jusy another cost in extra cameras and extra staff to man them. 

Answer: club staff need to think about that kind of stuff, maybe send the clark of the course 150m up the straight and make the field go around them and back down the straight so the main race cameras can capture the prelims as they should be

Rubbish. Where the bird cage is has nothing to do with it. Pick up the camera and place is at the right place with the sun behind it with the right technology focusing and framing the right shot. Place enough cameras to make the coverage complete. Take the footage, have a good on the fly editor, pump the images into a storage folder with a bit of latency, and then display the images and audio in an order that makes it look seamless. Organisation of the event will only enhance the  event. Seeing the arse end of a horse is pure and simple laziness with a smattering of complacency.

4 hours ago, Bimbo said:

What I posted was copied and pasted from the TAB website:

https://www.tab.co.nz/information/#news/2016-05-31/first4-bonuses-extended-to-june

Not sure how you would interpret this any differently from the link you provided......

"Bonus money is injected into the pool meaning there is more money to be won by successful punters."

There is always a distribution from the punter from deductions from betting to make these pools available.

51 minutes ago, Berri said:

Rubbish. Where the bird cage is has nothing to do with it. Pick up the camera and place is at the right place with the sun behind it with the right technology focusing and framing the right shot. Place enough cameras to make the coverage complete. Take the footage, have a good on the fly editor, pump the images into a storage folder with a bit of latency, and then display the images and audio in an order that makes it look seamless. Organisation of the event will only enhance the  event. Seeing the arse end of a horse is pure and simple laziness with a smattering of complacency.

Agree with you Berri.

All Trackside need is a brain. If for some reason prelims are of poor quality then the next best thing is viewing birdcage shots by positioning cameras so that the sun is behind the camera.

However today the club was at fault by having very poor colour choice for saddle cloth numbers hence the numbers were indistinguishable.

TV people must realize that TV coverage commences with good shots of EVERY horse be it parade ring, prelim or behind starting gate.

The other logic is that most people don't know the form so have no concept of value odds therefore these people are better off basing their choice on the appearance of a horse. Something TAB should try to comprehend.

I defend what I said...the prelims are like they are because they are covered off by what looks the be the main race cameras you see during the running of a race, those that are situated on or in some cases near the finish line in the stand. End of. I have stood at many a racetrack and seen the camera guys (and girls) film the prelims from afar. 

If you had people there editing footage of prelims, trying to put them in number order it just would not happen, goodness sake sometimes the field dont make their way onto the track until like 3/4mins before the race. 

5 hours ago, slam dunk said:

However today the club was at fault by having very poor colour choice for saddle cloth numbers hence the numbers were indistinguishable.

This was a special Race Day. It was for the N.Z. Breast Cancer Foundation,who over the last two  years have raised over $15,000 through various fundraising options during the day.   Also they run a Track riders Oaks race . Hence the saddle cloth  colour.

I do agree with you the colour did not show up very good today,especially down the back straight.Probably a brilliant sunny day did not help the cause either.

Cheers.......

11 hours ago, jayar said:

This was a special Race Day. It was for the N.Z. Breast Cancer Foundation,who over the last two  years have raised over $15,000 through various fundraising options during the day.   Also they run a Track riders Oaks race . Hence the saddle cloth  colour.

I do agree with you the colour did not show up very good today,especially down the back straight.Probably a brilliant sunny day did not help the cause either.

Cheers.......

Overall it was a great day's racing, and for a great charity - and we should never complain about brilliantly sunny weather ha ha. Well done to your club. 

jayar...

I have no doubt that this Club, having put on such a good day, will learn and be even better at staging another similar day in the future.

Bird excrement is a problem in lots of places but it would be good if racecourses everywhere could make a concerted attempt to remove such from their premises. If any Club finds a really good way of doing this, perhaps they could share their secret with other Clubs? This is not an easy task...I've tried and it is very much hard work for little result.

All the best.

Ashoka

On 2 June 2016 at 2:45 PM, Berri said:

Andy Kydd would seem to be the GENERAL MANAGER of BROADCASTING. This is a call out to you.

So yesterday I was watching Sam Weatherley ride his first winner. This is a big deal.....or it should be produced to be a big deal. He wins this race - his first ever winner -  and instantly the bloody Trackside editor cuts to dogs. Not a dog race but of a dog having a shit on the track. Then it cuts to the owner who is so emotional he's chocking up because his horse has won (not common occurrence for him) but also because he's just given the kid his first winning ride. But before you can really get involved (what a plot line), the editor cuts away to the dogs again, but this time another bloody dog is having a piss in the middle of the track. Then the picture cuts half way through the first interview of the kid having just won his first race.

The buggar of it all is that the whole sequence of drama, achievement, passion and success was completely destroyed but an absolutely useless editor who must be a deviant because he must have seen on the screens that the pictures he was choosing were the dogs at various stages of relieving themselves when the real catch the client story was being bastardised through inept and amateurish editing.

For heavens sake. That was appalling. Who was in charge? He/ she needs naming and shaming.

Agree 100% with you Berri. I lost count of the number of stories I wrote in the Sunday Star-Times about this. It's the very stuff that gets people interested in the human face of racing. Check this out http://www.tigermulti.co.nz/stories/the-day-ernies-milk-cart-horse-won-over-the-west/

14 hours ago, TigerMulti said:

Agree 100% with you Berri. I lost count of the number of stories I wrote in the Sunday Star-Times about this. It's the very stuff that gets people interested in the human face of racing. Check this out http://www.tigermulti.co.nz/stories/the-day-ernies-milk-cart-horse-won-over-the-west/

All the best with your new venture there Barry... have always enjoyed your pen....

6 hours ago, Behind the 8 Ball said:

All the best with your new venture there Barry... have always enjoyed your pen....

Similarly with me.

However I query if the subscription method is the best model. It means only a few are going to read any hard hitting stuff. Punters when searching for tips aren't really interested in how dressed up with graphics a web site looks. Also keeping up with initial standard of graphics won't be easy.

I would hope that Fairfax makes a deal getting the web site into the fold so the it can viewed without cost.

20 hours ago, TigerMulti said:

Welcome aboard TigerMulti, I trust you'll continue with your fearless reporting of the nefarious underbelly and their activities.