RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Phantom

Early interviewing Godber on Radio Trackside

Just listened to a complete sterile and sycophantic interview by Peter Early of RIU general manager Mike Godber. Not one question about Ross Neal. Why don't you grow a pair, Early, and ask the questions which desperately need to be asked... like:

1. Why has Neal not been dismissed or suspended from his role with the RIU after the revelations about his personal life in the media over the weekend?

2. If Neal is to be retained, and he was chief stipe at the Wellington meeting at Trentham on Saturday, how does he think that reflects on an industry whose popularity with the New Zealand public is the lowest in history.

I for one would love to hear those questions asked (and answered) instead of the love fest which took place. Or does no-one in the industry care how they are perceived by the general public any more?

He did ask him about it actually...

Godber's response was that it was a "personal matter" so nothing further would be added to their original statement.

Peter then said " So he's still got a job..?"    The answer was "Yes.."

Seems to me their interpretation of "integrity" is rather different to most of us....

Phantom

I think we have to acknowledge that Peter Early is the ONE presenter who regularly has a crack at these guys.

So while I share your dismay at RIU going to ground on it when they are happy to discuss everyone elses transgressions publicly, I don't think Peter should be the scapegoat

I cannot understand how Mr Godber can say it's a "domestic matter". I'm not too concerned about an affair between the two parties - that's life and it happens. However, I distinctly recall a married work colleague iof mine being quickly shunted out the door when it was discovered he was porking his Secretary! No time wasted because our Company prided itself on conduct that maintained integrity and a certain standard. If he had not been married then no case would have been there to action. But this case as reported on "STUFF", goes to heart of Integrity and good Standards and in my opinion, so far, both NZTR and Mr Neal have failed on both accounts. What is the Minister for Racing doing about this?

5 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

5 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

It's beyond dispute that the man at the centre of this controversy had as a married man a long running affair with a married woman. That is called cheating pure and simple.  

That may be true Hash but the real integrity/employment issue revolves around the fact that they were both Racing employees and they were brought together in an employment domain where Neal was allegedly "advising" her on stipendiary advancement. Would have thought that was grounds for sanction.

Yes, very short interview on the subject made even shorter by the more than usual "um's" from Godber.    However I would be surprised if, a while ago, there was not deep discussion behind closed doors on  the subject and the status quo decided by all parties.     Now, in view of the Sunday article, it will no doubt depend on future public reaction as to whether the subject is re-opened or left to be conveniently forgotten. 

2. Absolute tragedy for the family left to grieve.  They have my condolences.

3.  Shame on the RIU and, in particular, shame on McIntyre & Godber for trying to dismiss the entire sorry saga.  They should hang their heads in shame - but won't.

4.  How on earth does NZ Racing repair this continuing debacle of ineptitude, idiocy and unprofessionalism??

5 minutes ago, Trump said:

Based on what you say he was quoted as saying Irish and then the trip back to get the rings and clothes, does this mean he lied? The Integrity Chief wouldn't lie would he ?

Hush my mouth Trump.   What on earth was I thinking?  My wits are obviously addled.    Integrity person lie????

Do pigs fly??  

I understand you Scooby & that comments may cause an issue for Racecafe.

However, does the 'personal matter'  of indiscretion take precedence over that of what should be considered professional behaviour by members of the RIU?? - which is what they expect of members of the industry??  How can they be holier-than-thou???.

Not talking about it won't make it go away or resolve the problem.

However, I rest my case and will make no further comment - just in case you worry I might say something outrageous.  :)

So you have never made a private indiscretion??? Really???

I do not think anyone in here would like to see their Mum and Dads name dragged around in the mud for a mistake...the kids are the innocent parties on both sides.... and I will not allow it either .... as far as I am concerned it is a private matter not to be aired here... you can go other places and do whatever or say whatever you want.. but not here. Thanks.

Leigh

Scooby, I thought that once it's in the daily newspapers, it's no longer a private matter. No one gives a crap about the personal nature of the last year or so, they I think are more concerned about the "INTEGRITY" issue here or, as some would put it, a lack of it.

Trump... there are kids involved...and just because its in the newspapers makes it alright to open the kids up to more of the embarrassment????. No its not happening here... those who feel the need to make comments can go to plenty of other places... 

I have been reluctant to comment on this because as Scooby says, there are innocent parties affected, and a lot of hurt, grief and pain going around.

That said, on the the kids, there are thousands worldwide affected every year by affairs, divorces, family violence, etc. The research is clear that most come out fine and many are stronger for it. I don't think any attempt to protect them from the facts has been shown to be helpful.

The key problem here IMO is that once again the RIU have stuffed up monumentally. Godber can't decide if he is speechless because this is a personal matter or an employment matter when clearly it is both. He also seems to have cited Glenda into supporting his silence when she should have nothing to do with the management and employment issue. She is the chair of the board responsible for RIU governance. He is responsible for management and employment issues.

If reports are correct, the widely known affair is a personal matter. The SST article, subtly, and without accusation, raised the issue that the context of the affair might potentially amount to sexual harassment given the woman was reportedly seeking a job as a stipendiary steward. While Godber has stated he didn't know that, and it would have been his decision not Neal's, there is no doubt that Neal could have lent weight to an application from her for that role. Sadly though, that story is what she told her husband and remember, she was cheating too.

I make no suggestion and have no evidence that there was any sexual harassment involved here. As far as I can see it was two grown ups making an independent decision about how they wished to behave with one another.

Where the RIU have majorly failed in my view is that they either have not investigated the potential sexual harassment issue, hopefully long before this article was published, and worse, have not made a clear statement that they have done so and are satisfied that no sexual harassment occurred.

How hard could that be? Their current position is a PR disaster, not for the first time.

7 hours ago, gubellini said:

Peter Earley and Mike Dillon are the only media people currently not kowtowing to the Racing Administrators. Previously Barry Lichter did a great job but has been given the heave ho by the Sunday Star Times.

Barry has started his own website now wonder if he will write up about it