RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

37 minutes ago, Behind the 8 Ball said:

As anyone that knows Chris personally! its always be ALCOHOL that has been his kryptonite!!! still is! always has been.... 

Leading jockey Chris Johnson says he did not knowingly take cannabis but pleaded guilty to it being in his system.

A boozy night out watching Joseph Parker's boxing bout is likely to cost prominent jockey Chris Johnson a minimum of two months out of the saddle.

Johnson pleaded guilty to a charge relating to a positive cannabis test at the Rangiora trials on May 24 when he fronted a Judicial Control Authority (JCA) hearing at Riccarton on Friday.

The JCA panel of Russell McKenzie and Stewart Ching reserved Johnson's penalty, which is likely to be announced next week.

Johnson had been watching Joseph Parker's victory over Carlos Takam in a Wellington bar.

Johnson was adamant he did not knowingly use cannabis and could offer no explanation why it was in his system but said the Wellington night out on May 21 was the only plausible time it could have happened.

His reading of 43 nanograms per millilitre of breath is considered relatively low, but jockeys are subject to a zero tolerance cannabis policy.

Johnson rode at Awapuni on May 21 then drove a rental car to Wellington to catch a flight south at 6.30am the following day. He decided to go to a bar to watch the boxing.

He was due to ride at Riverton on May 22 but was a no-show after missing his flight.

At the hearing, Johnson, assisted by partner Belinda Middlewood and Riccarton trainer Michael Pitman, said he woke up in his rental car at 8am and could not remember most of the previous night.

Pitman told the hearing he believes Johnson was somehow "spiked" during the night.

Johnson is adamant he has not knowingly used cannabis for more than two decades.

He could not remember how he got back to his rental car.

Middlewood made 55 calls to Johnson's mobile phone between 6 and 7am but but he did not pick up.

Johnson, one of New Zealand's most successful jockeys, felt hungover when he woke and found it surprising as he did not think he had drunk enough to be feeling so ill.

Johnson was instructed by the RIU to wait until May 31 before taking another test but was voluntary re-tested on May 27 and the result was negative.

"I couldn't understand it," Johnson said of the positive test.

"I only live for racing nowadays, why would I jeopardise that?"

Pitman submitted character references and pointed out that Johnson had completed more than 16,000 rides and had never previously tested positive to cannabis despite being extensively tested.

Pitman submitted for a suspension of six to eight weeks rather than the Racing Integrity Unit's (RIU) recommended starting point of three months.

He said mitigating factors were that Johnson did not willingly take cannabis and that missing the flight after being out drinking had been a significant "wake-up call".

"Chris has had a shock.

"When he woke up he decided he needed to address his drinking," Pitman said.

Johnson sought help with his drinking from The Salvation Army's race track chaplain Andrew McKerrow on Monday May 23 - a day before he was tested at the trails.

McKerrow described Johnson's appeal for help as "very genuine".

Johnson will attend a meeting with The Salvation Army on Tuesday.

The JCA lifted the stand down of Johnson's licence, meaning he is free to resume track work and trials riding despite his impending suspension.

ends...

from: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/80724881/chris-johnson-admits-cannabis-charge-but-denies-knowingly-taking-the-drug

Couldnt remember how he got back to his rental car.

Didnt think he had drunk enough to be feeling so ill

Pitty Believes somehow spiked during the night

Denies knowingly taking it.

Very glad that he is seeking help for his drinking from the Sallies but doing silly things when drinking isnt a justifiable excuse.If he bad enough that he cant remember things the next morning and was supposed to ride that day it scares me that if he had of made flight that he probably would have still ridden as his excuse for not riding was missing flight,not that he was unwell.

14 minutes ago, richie said:

Very glad that he is seeking help for his drinking from the Sallies but doing silly things when drinking isnt a justifiable excuse.If he bad enough that he cant remember things the next morning and was supposed to ride that day it scares me that if he had of made flight that he probably would have still ridden as his excuse for not riding was missing flight,not that he was unwell.

Richie, when you look in the mirror! do you see a brilliant bright HALO!!!!  I take it you have never had a BIG NIGHT and fail to present at work the next time!  and while there might be some merit in what you say, in theory!  CWJ is a freak of nature... he's big enough to regroup and come back as good as gold....

22 minutes ago, richie said:

Couldnt remember how he got back to his rental car.

Didnt think he had drunk enough to be feeling so ill

Pitty Believes somehow spiked during the night

Denies knowingly taking it.

Sounds like you have a bit of a problem with this jockey.So he got drunk and missed his flight,who cares  Lot bigger problems in the world. All i have read from your comments is bagging the hell out of this guy.Give it a break.

So can jockeys just ring up sick on raceday morning and say sorry I'm hungover, bugger the owners and trainers who were relying on me riding here horses, and with no consequence?

A role model for younger jockeys  he is most definitely not!

Settle nutters.

He's been tested something like 27 times in the last xxx years, I'm told more than any other jockey in NZ, and he's never failed on drug or alcohol until this occasion.

As for missing a plane, I understand it was a "one off" although I'm sure he's had other situations that've prevented him riding at short notice, and one of you train spotters will no doubt fill in the gaps there.

His THC reading was in the 40s, that's only just over the positive threshold, it's BELOW the legal threshold for driving a car, and within a couple of days his levels didn't register on a re-test.

The drug testing agency said it could not and would not impair the required skills for working.

For relative purposes and comparisons you should know it's not uncommon to see cannabis positives in the thousands.

To further compound matters jockeys are unique because they carry so little fat, their metabolism runs relatively slowly because they don't eat, and they consume little water or fluids in general so they can't flush toxins like THC out of their bodies readily.

It appears from what I've read that Pitty said CWJ either had a drink spiked or was fed something containing hash, now you lot can conveniently scoff at or ignore that defence but it's actually very credible given the circumstances described, the theory fits the described events, and because he's had a clean record for so long he must be given the benefit of the doubt.

I understand some of you have had sheltered lives tucked away in your mud huts or monasteries, and you like to point your fat little fingers and pass judgement on jockeys in particular, but this time you've got it wrong, and I'm picking the JCA will go very lightly indeed when they impose this penalty.

My hunch is eight weeks suspension, but it could be as low as six.

As for his consumption of alcohol, well he's never tested positive for it race day or trial day and whilst it's something he should maybe address if it's impacting on his life, wife and family it's not our job to criticise him for what's a very personal weakness.

In summary, fuck off you hypocrites and leave him alone, he's a legend in the racing community in the same way Keith Richards is in the music industry, and as long as he performs in the saddle we should accept him for what he is, a unique individual with a couple of design faults that are his own business.

I've missed a few flights myself - both airline and flights of steps! I remember going to the beer festival in Stuttgart the night before I was due to catch an early morning flight to Frankfurt to connect onwards to Chicago. Due to having too many large Steins of fine Bavarian ale, I missed my flight from Stuttgart and arrived in Chicago a day later than expected. Jeez I had some explaining to do having missed an important meeting. Fortunately, I survived the ordeal and went on to consume many more Steins over the ensuring years ! :)

10 minutes ago, Trump said:

I've missed a few flights myself - both airline and flights of steps! I remember going to the beer festival in Stuttgart the night before I was due to catch an early morning flight to Frankfurt to connect onwards to Chicago. Due to having too many large Steins of fine Bavarian ale, I missed my flight from Stuttgart and arrived in Chicago a day later than expected. Jeez I had some explaining to do having missed an important meeting. Fortunately, I survived the ordeal and went on to consume many more Steins over the ensuring years ! :)

I bet your Mrs hasn't rung you 55 times in a hour to try and find you.

Poor bastard is either hen pecked to death or who knows.

54 minutes ago, Midget said:

Settle nutters.

He's been tested something like 27 times in the last xxx years, I'm told more than any other jockey in NZ, and he's never failed on drug or alcohol until this occasion.

As for missing a plane, I understand it was a "one off" although I'm sure he's had other situations that've prevented him riding at short notice, and one of you train spotters will no doubt fill in the gaps there.

His THC reading was in the 40s, that's only just over the positive threshold, it's BELOW the legal threshold for driving a car, and within a couple of days his levels didn't register on a re-test.

The drug testing agency said it could not and would not impair the required skills for working.

For relative purposes and comparisons you should know it's not uncommon to see cannabis positives in the thousands.

To further compound matters jockeys are unique because they carry so little fat, their metabolism runs relatively slowly because they don't eat, and they consume little water or fluids in general so they can't flush toxins like THC out of their bodies readily.

It appears from what I've read that Pitty said CWJ either had a drink spiked or was fed something containing hash, now you lot can conveniently scoff at or ignore that defence but it's actually very credible given the circumstances described, the theory fits the described events, and because he's had a clean record for so long he must be given the benefit of the doubt.

I understand some of you have had sheltered lives tucked away in your mud huts or monasteries, and you like to point your fat little fingers and pass judgement on jockeys in particular, but this time you've got it wrong, and I'm picking the JCA will go very lightly indeed when they impose this penalty.

My hunch is eight weeks suspension, but it could be as low as six.

As for his consumption of alcohol, well he's never tested positive for it race day or trial day and whilst it's something he should maybe address if it's impacting on his life, wife and family it's not our job to criticise him for what's a very personal weakness.

In summary, fuck off you hypocrites and leave him alone, he's a legend in the racing community in the same way Keith Richards is in the music industry, and as long as he performs in the saddle we should accept him for what he is, a unique individual with a couple of design faults that are his own business.

I would like to know if his manager was with him this night and was he in the same state? ;)

3 hours ago, Midget said:

It's interesting to note that there is an alcohol threshold of 100 for riders and 400 for other licence holders carrying out safety sensitive activities with horses on a racetrack or training facility. The latter is well over the 250 level which is the threshold for driving. Yet as you say Midget, there is no threshold for THC nor any give in the rules for levels well below any possible impairment level.

5 hours ago, von Smallhaussen said:

I would like to know if his manager was with him this night and was he in the same state? ;)

What a stupid idiotic post!!!! Hs manager does not go out on the town any more too fn old

iin 10 years he has never missed an early morning plane from Wellington south on a sunday

He missed an early morning plane to New Plymouth some years ago because of traffic problems around the airport but he caught the next plane to Wellington,got a rental car and drove to New Plymouth ..he missed the first 3 races but was there for race 4       is that dedication or not??????????????????

In case you didnt know I was not permitted to travel to Christchurch so i got the next best thing, Michael Pitman who speaks with passion and conviction

5 minutes ago, rumpole said:

What a stupid idiotic post!!!! Hs manager does not go out on the town any more too fn old

iin 10 years he has never missed an early morning plane from Wellington south on a sunday

He missed an early morning plane to New Plymouth some years ago because of traffic problems around the airport but he caught the next plane to Wellington,got a rental car and drove to New Plymouth ..he missed the first 3 races but was there for race 4       is that dedication or not??????????????????

In case you didnt know I was not permitted to travel to Christchurch so i got the next best thing, Michael Pitman who speaks with passion and conviction

ease up Rumpers - I was pulling the peace ;)

Chris has ridden my horse this season and done a bloody good job. He is the best in the business no doubt about that and will be back on her next season. He has done a fantastic job for John and Karen Parsons stepping up when John became ill in January even driving the float for them to the races on a number of occasions, riding all day then driving the float home after the meeting. That's dedication. You could not meet a nicer bloke, so all you baggers get off his back, nobody's perfect.

13 hours ago, barryb said:

I bet your Mrs hasn't rung you 55 times in a hour to try and find you.

Poor bastard is either hen pecked to death or who knows.

Nope! Belinda has just found that he responds well to BEING TOLD WHAT TO DO!!!!! lol! he responds well to the WHIP!!!! some do!!! :)

21 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

A role model for younger jockeys  he is most definitely not!

This post shows you Don'tKnows.....  you might be Blown away by how High Esteem that  CWJ is held by so many 'younger jockeys'... he is a LEGEND to them!!

And there is a lot for them to learn about  what has just happened to him!!! with Success comes scrutiny! which can at times be BRUTAL... as we are seeing being played out now... lots to be learned from that!!!

28 minutes ago, kakama said:

Not sure that many on here are bagging CWJ....

If I get on the piss Sunday night, smoke dope, drink huge amount of piss....and get pulled over in work vehicle and test positive....that's it, I loose my job, simple as that. 

Simple solution....I don't drink the night before I have to drive. It doesn't matter if you are a jockey, driver, sales rep or whatever, you know the rules. 

I'm sure your mum is real proud of you.... well done!

28 minutes ago, kakama said:

Not sure that many on here are bagging CWJ....

If I get on the piss Sunday night, smoke dope, drink huge amount of piss....and get pulled over in work vehicle and test positive....that's it, I loose my job, simple as that. 

Simple solution....I don't drink the night before I have to drive. It doesn't matter if you are a jockey, driver, sales rep or whatever, you know the rules. 

I'm sure your mum is real proud of you.... well done!

1 minute ago, kakama said:

I am no saint....

But if I want to keep job...they are the rules. I take it you don't give a toss....would rather get pissed...then complain later?

nope! its because I 'care'! for him and his family that I've comment so much on this....   there has been a big cost to CWJ personally for his actions, please believe me on that!  ..and there is going to be ongoing economic costs to his family for this! it  will be in the  ,000's...  sometimes when your have a stressful job! with lots of traveling! a 'blow out' can be helpful... but not so if it ends up  a way Bigger Night out that planned...  I'm sure it will be a learning event for many! eh! ;)

Hey better be careful slinging at the best, lets face it - CWJ is one of the best in the saddle, we havent got alot of new talent coming through behind these riders either, this game is hard.

Also if theres a genuine concern for peoples safety let the so called "big boys" take his license off him, dont get personal, nobody knows someones personal issues or needs no matter how mighty they might think they are, stop judging and deal with the supposed issue at hand

40 minutes ago, Pukemoe said:

Hey better be careful slinging at the best, lets face it - CWJ is one of the best in the saddle, we havent got alot of new talent coming through behind these riders either, this game is hard.

Also if theres a genuine concern for peoples safety let the so called "big boys" take his license off him, dont get personal, nobody knows someones personal issues or needs no matter how mighty they might think they are, stop judging and deal with the supposed issue at hand

You are certainly right especially on the lack of talent on the jockey front, the ranks are very thin, a tough life and those still riding in there 50s  a testament to dedication and longevity, and keeping the game going.