RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
puha

Alcohol prices on course

The trouble with these high alcohol prices is that it is not the clubs charging  these prices and making the resulting profits , its the catering companies. Well at least that's the way it works at my local racecourse....

I perhaps wouldnt mind paying these exorbitant prices if it  was indeed the club that was making the profit....

I'm interested in how much people actually think they are being "ripped off" by the "exorbitant" prices ?

Lets say you drink 5 drinks during a day - and are ripped off by $2 a drink - then that is $10 ripped off??

My point is just how much are we talking about here ? And if you can't afford it - what are you doing at a racetrack, or drinking or complaining ???

And before I cop it :ph34r:- I'm not trying to wind anyone up. It's just that when I choose to go out to the pub/restaurant/racetrack/movies I know it will cost more than at home. Mostly I drink at home - but I'm prepared for it when I go out.

PS - yeah I chose to use 5 drinks and $2 per drink rip off in my example to make a point.  I'm the first to admit I have 10+ when I go, so I am being mischievious a little bit

Why should clubs be out to make a profit from race day alcohol sales? I can relate to city bars and pubs selling alcohol at seemingly over the top prices, that's their core business and they will stand or fall on what patrons are prepared to pay. But racing clubs should be selling booze and food on a break even basis and ensuring that the punters race day is geared towards ensuring they return to the course for another unforgettable day of fun and excitement that only horse racing can provide. 

7 hours ago, goldcape said:

Why should clubs be out to make a profit from race day alcohol sales? I can relate to city bars and pubs selling alcohol at seemingly over the top prices, that's their core business and they will stand or fall on what patrons are prepared to pay. But racing clubs should be selling booze and food on a break even basis and ensuring that the punters race day is geared towards ensuring they return to the course for another unforgettable day of fun and excitement that only horse racing can provide. 

How are they supposed to make $$ on an industry day then?

Especially as some clubs only have industry days. 8.5% of on course only on other days, pretty tough for clubs. Join your local committee and find out.

12 minutes ago, Huey said:

How are they supposed to make $$ on an industry day then?

Especially as some clubs only have industry days. 8.5% of on course only on other days, pretty tough for clubs. Join your local committee and find out.

Any data to support that idea as a viable business notion?

Just now, Leggy said:

Any data to support that idea as a viable business notion?

Data to support what? If there is no on course turnover on a race day , then what is the financial incentive for a club to improve the punting experience? 

There is stuff all on course turnover on most industry days. On course patrons who may be doing some turnover are probably doing that via off course media and probably non- NZTAB ones for the most part. I don't get the argument.

5 minutes ago, Huey said:

Data to support what? If there is no on course turnover on a race day , then what is the financial incentive for a club to improve the punting experience? 

With all due credit Huey... for mine, only the very resilient and avid/addicted racegoer who is not a member/owner turns up these days

to endure entry and over inflated alcohol charges,( something must change)

22 minutes ago, Leggy said:

There is stuff all on course turnover on most industry days. On course patrons who may be doing some turnover are probably doing that via off course media and probably non- NZTAB ones for the most part. I don't get the argument.

I don't get your argument, there is no on course turnover for a club who operates on an industry day, therefore how does that incentivise a racing club to make its main focus on increasing on or off course turnover for the punter(as I read the original poster was alluding to)? it may be a reason that a club has to soak up all it can from food and beverages prices.

The ironic thing is that the very reasoning behind the incredibly ineffective funding policy was to improve the customer experience of on course customers/patrons , this thread in itself is proving that its achieving the complete opposite. 

15 minutes ago, porky said:

With all due credit Huey... for mine, only the very resilient and avid/addicted racegoer who is not a member/owner turns up these days

to endure entry and over inflated alcohol charges,( something must change)

You'll get no argument from me there Porky, I'm into value for money as much as the next guy.

However what I'm saying is have some empathy for some of the poor racing clubs who are probably having to charge like this to make a crust out of the meeting given the environment they are being forced to operate in.

On 5/13/2016 at 7:53 PM, puha said:

I'm the same Bimbo $5 is a fair price and still plenty of profit for the club. but when your in rural NZ  on a Thursday you don't expect to be paying nightclub or Ellerslie  prices. (Ellerslie is probably cheaper) On the way home stopped in the local bottle store and bought a 10 pack of Jim Beams for $22 . The club does look after you well in the owners room post race so thumbs up their. 

Why should Elleslie prices be any different from any other club. Wholesale beer price should all be around the same. More than likely the beer is cheaper in Auckland because you got more options to do a better deal.  Staff wages should be round the same too so why should Elleslie be acceptable to you to charge a higher price. Are you saying that you are happy to pay $5 for a beer at any other club but happy to pay $7- $8 for the same beer at Elleslie because it is Elleslie.

I think most charge a little to much .I have a drink at pretty much every race meeting I attend and I have not come across higher prices  and this is a low key midweek meeting.