RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
puha

Alcohol prices on course

Sheesh! 

Nup - you're not a tight-a in my book Puha.  It's too much.

Now, I'd love to have a winner ANYWHERE in NZ (it's been a while  :rolleyes: ) but would hate to be shouting my crew to celebrate success at those prices!  Imagine how much for a couple of bottles of half decent bubbly!!

it's a rip-off, but it seems to be the way things are these days.  I begrudge paying more than $5 for a drink anywhere.  I just buy one instead of more.  I guess their thinking is they might as well make $8 in profit from selling one drink to me for $9 rather than make the same $8  by selling me two drinks for $5 each and there are less glasses to collect and wash.  I went to an establishment the other day that was proudly pushing Swappa Crate bottles for $9 each like it was the bargain of a lifetime.  $108 for a crate of beer is supposedly a bargain these days.

I'm the same Bimbo $5 is a fair price and still plenty of profit for the club. but when your in rural NZ  on a Thursday you don't expect to be paying nightclub or Ellerslie  prices. (Ellerslie is probably cheaper) On the way home stopped in the local bottle store and bought a 10 pack of Jim Beams for $22 . The club does look after you well in the owners room post race so thumbs up their. 

I don't know guys & girls. I went to a pub this afternoon and got charged $8.50 for a draught beer. Yeah they brewed it - but it was a glass of beer. 

Did I mind - no not really. On track do i get bent out of shape on prices - not really. Its the same at the rugby. Or the movies. Or a concert. 

yip agree chelseacol they need to get out more go to wespac rugby you be crying paying for a beer, went to small bar wellington for lunch wife had glass of red wine was asked do you want 150 ml or 250 ml went for 250ml $16 glass, i had a pint heiny $12

5 hours ago, Abernant said:

yip agree chelseacol they need to get out more go to wespac rugby you be crying paying for a beer, went to small bar wellington for lunch wife had glass of red wine was asked do you want 150 ml or 250 ml went for 250ml $16 glass, i had a pint heiny $12

Westpac stadium and know doubt the bar you went too as well are not 1960s dives like most race courses. You charge for your surroundings, not for what you think you can sting some poor bastard, esp when the place has 50 yr old carpet.

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Westpac stadium and know doubt the bar you went too as well are not 1960s dives like most race courses. You charge for your surroundings, not for what you think you can sting some poor bastard, esp when the place has 50 yr old carpet.

I agree with you regarding the facilities at most racecources being stuck in the 60's it's an antiquated and depressing vibe and hardly appealing. Went to Cambridge Raceway recently that isn't too bad, a lot of it has been upgraded and though theres still areas which need replacing it's got a fresh feel about the place

Call me a tight-arse...(which I,m expecting)

But these days it is a case of the haves and have-nots (money wise)... to charge $6,7,8 a bottle on course, at the rugby

or any other entertainment venue is limiting your market (hence on course numbers)

Unfortunately the general public or wage earner can,t afford the luxuries and don,t have expense accounts at their disposal.

It is a juggling act for clubs to allow BYO onto the grass areas out front for BBQ type activities V staffing under utilised public bars,

which struggle to cover costs...2 for $10 deals encourage punters upstairs and should be encouraged (especially in winter)  

Hastings Public Bar has all the facilities,good entertainment and sometimes the 2 for $10 deals (and limited BYO)

THE COMBINATION OF HIGH BAR PRICES AND PUBLIC GATE ENTRY IS THE REASON FOR LAUGHABLE CROWDS

AT YOUR AVERAGE MEETING. IT,S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. 

THE SALARIES OF THE FAT CATS AND AN UNDERPERFORMING RACING MINISTER DON,T HELP THE INDUSTRY EITHER.

4 minutes ago, Trump said:

Wrong BB. XXXX, cold, no additives, clean and a Pint to boot on a 28degree sunny day for $5 ? It doesn't get any better!

YEP...STRADBROKE DAY SOUNDS APPEALING.  

Attended a few concerts over the years and I have found after paying for the concert tickets and accommodation there is no room left for wining and dining apart from BK  or McDonalds.

What pisses me off most is people indulging before concerts and then climbing all over you to get out so they can empty out.

Being a non drinker can have it's advantages.

A couple of years ago we decided to stop in to trentham late in the day when there was a meeting on. There were two races left in the day and the gate attendants insisted on charging us and a couple of other groups full price for entry. The price wasn't horrendous but out of the three groups the two others turned away. We use to go there three or four times a year but funnily enough since then we haven't been back. 

36 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Attended a few concerts over the years and I have found after paying for the concert tickets and accommodation there is no room left for wining and dining apart from BK  or McDonalds.

What pisses me off most is people indulging before concerts and then climbing all over you to get out so they can empty out.

Being a non drinker can have it's advantages.

I second that Crusty, I wouldn't want to have to be paying for drinks these days.

18 minutes ago, Midget said:

It should be less than $5, like all yours it tastes like it's been drunk before.

Now ,Now Midget...I lived there for a couple of years when I was young and dumb,

Drank xxxx like everyone else, figured "when in Rome"....

But Yeah, now you mention it...was a bit Tasteless.

Same at Ruakaka. Need to make a profit but when you buy bulk at $1 a shot, surely can look after patrons a bit better than that.

Incidentally, 2 red wines at Alexandra Park last Friday $23 during happy hour. Happy for whom?????

No 1 selling beer in Australia is currently XXXX Gold. The two worst beers I have ever tasted are the South Australian Southwark(spelling could be a bit wrong here) and what was called "Red Band" in NZ. Nothing wrong with XXXX - AND ITS CLEAN !

5 hours ago, porky said:

Now ,Now Midget...I lived there for a couple of years when I was young and dumb,

Drank xxxx like everyone else, figured "when in Rome"....

But Yeah, now you mention it...was a bit Tasteless.

Recycled beer, it's called XXXX for a reason despite what Trump says.

12 minutes ago, kakama said:

I think pricing is fair. 

You have bar staff serving customers, collecting glasses, washing etc. 

Plenty of overheads. Only thing that pisses me off, is when they milk the public on the big days, up the prices, and only let you buy 2 at a time!!

I hate it!! 

Ha sorry I get more  pissed of being milked on industry days  heck I'm happy to pay a premium on the big days. Also I did the cleaning and washing of the cans threw them straight in the bin once  finished.

Normally if i go to the track,...my first priority is punting.So if i'm having a bad day on the punt,i'll tend to stay away from the bar..BUT if i'm having a good day,i'll head towards the bar and their ridiculous prices.Then again if i'm going to the track with mates,then we'll just buy a box or two and load up the chilly bin....unless of course your going to Addington on Cup Day,then you can't do that.