RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bimbo

Customer Experience

It really is hard to take the New Zealand TAB seriously.  About 80% of the bets I tried to place came back saying the odds had changed.  Not one price went up.  They all came down.  Results come through about thirty minutes after the race as run.  Computer or phone, it was all the same.  When is this going to be fixed so we can try and enjoy a Saturday of racing?

2 hours ago, Bimbo said:

It really is hard to take the New Zealand TAB seriously.  About 80% of the bets I tried to place came back saying the odds had changed.  Not one price went up.  They all came down.  Results come through about thirty minutes after the race as run.  Computer or phone, it was all the same.  When is this going to be fixed so we can try and enjoy a Saturday of racing?

Hi Bimbo, In February I had an entire day of what you have described here!!.

i emailed the TAB and complained and also attached "screen dumps" of the screen that clearly showed what the F/O price was and what they "offered" it to me at.

They checked and since they had a record of the times I placed the bets they did establish that their system was in fact WRONG, more importantly they paid me the difference on the bets that I should have collected. 

Probably a bit late for you now but in future and I have no doubt it will happen again as their software is very tired.....take pics of the screen and send it through.

Oh did the "odds have changed" banner constantly offer $4.50??, seems to be the default amount when the system shits itself!!...very frustrating.

Here is the email I sent through, must say I was surprised when they stumped up though.

Hi Daniel, 

Thanks for your time the other day. here is the info on that TAB glitch where I went to back horses at really good prices and got lumbered with a $4.50 dividend / return when it should have been more. I have attached the screen dumps for you.
I first backed Zahas Ace in race 7 at Brisbane/Sydney I think when it was showing FO $24 and $7, it came up as you can see $4.50 and “bet odds have changed”, I did take it at that as I was fairly confident it would enjoy track conditions!!. Then about 20 minutes later I backed “ Collar" in the same race only to get the same message and Collar was showing $6 for FO place, you can see this with the screen dump, although the message box obscures Collars win div it was #6 and if you count down it shows $6 but Im being offered $4.50 again. Also you can see that Zahas Ace is still at $24 and $7, the 3rd dump shows it at $7s and Im being offered $4.50 again.
 I did the dumps after speaking to the help desk and was informed that there was a problem and she would log the call, as I said I thought I was being restricted!!. It happened again later in the day as well in Melbourne when I went and backed Shakespear Lass, she was showing $7-8 for a place, I took the $4.50 as I was over it by then I have to say.

4 hours ago, Bimbo said:

It's seems to have been getting worse and worse lately, but today was just hopeless.  I entered the punters comp at Te Rapa and at least half the bets I placed were at a lower fixed odds price than those displayed on the TAB website when I placed the bet.  I always checked them after placing the bets and the incorrect odds were still displayed on the website so it's not that they changed between me looking and placing the bet and often when I checked 15 minutes later the incorrect odds were still being displayed.  How any serious punter can continue to bet with them is beyond me - if it wasn't for the punters comp I would have been straight on my phone to any of the overseas agencies that can at the very least display up to date fixed odds prices.

I heard a rumour that John Allen was on course today.  If he was you would have thought he might take 5 minutes to pop into the punters comp and see the 100 or so people that would have done the vast majority of the $200k on course turnover.  You might have thought he would be interested in issues like this and others that the keen punters there could have informed him of....

We all know by now that the computer system they are using is useless i had the same happening all yesterday fixed odds was a joke ,tried 15 times to put a multi on starting with last race at Te rapa kept saying odds have changed put not accepting bet ,in the end  i just backed the horse and won ,the multi would not have so they saved me money .The problem is that they the TAB keep putting money into quaddies or first fours but nothing towards a new system ,as a loyal customer i have reached the end of my patients and will be moving on ,my 5k turnover per week means nothing too them

dbtab the TAB are gun-shy about replacing the anachronistic Jet Bet System. They commissioned the ill fated Typhoon Betting System a few years ago. It had a 28% success rate worldwide at the time. This exercise in futility cost $14 million. The incompetence of their senior staffers knows no bounds. Sadly their grossly underpaid front line staffers have to bear the opprobrium of disgruntled punters.

4 hours ago, gubellini said:

dbtab the TAB are gun-shy about replacing the anachronistic Jet Bet System. They commissioned the ill fated Typhoon Betting System a few years ago. It had a 28% success rate worldwide at the time. This exercise in futility cost $14 million. The incompetence of their senior staffers knows no bounds. Sadly their grossly underpaid front line staffers have to bear the opprobrium of disgruntled punters.

The $14 million you quote is just a starter. The opportunity cost i.e. the lost opportunity since then could be something like even $100 million.

Now the decision to invest in Typhoon was flawed right from the beginning something that I brought up on Racecafe from day 1 not later being wise after the event. Yet those responsibly i.e. Chairman, CEO, board and management were never really made accountable and continued receiving absurd salaries and payments to attend worthless board meetings.

if you want to see a pig of a website that is designed by someone who is a computer nerd and not a regular user.

https://www.tab.com.au/racing/meetings/today/R

Having crap sites is not just the domain of the NZ TAB, in fact I actually don't mind the NZ TAB site.

Its easy to navigate around and I have no complaints about it.

4 minutes ago, hesi said:

I noticed also with  Leicester City winning the Super League, the betting agencies negotiated with customers for reduced early payouts so the final liability was reduced.  You thus had the chance to reconsider your gamble.

Would the TAB ever offer this on say large multi's

The tab probably didn't need to as they were offering a thousand to  one when most other bookies were offering five thousand to one. 

15 minutes ago, kakama said:

Sadly, this is all true. 

Taking a multi with the tab , is a complete sham. As you all have stated, to take a multi on different race meetings, sports events, the tab only offer fixed odds, and the odds are never up to date. 

With Crownbet, I can take a multi, any meeting, include any sports, can take any race, place, win or ew. I can decide if I want tote + 5%, or their fixed odds, or mix and match. If I take a Goliath bet, or similar , it pays out as the bet progresses. So , if the first 5 horses win, and still 3 races to go, it will pay out. 

All this, and you are collecting points as you bet!!!  Can put these bets on in seconds. 

Tab are gone...

I agree particularly when live betting the odds shown are never accurate and suspended more often than other sites. Why I can't take an all up across multiple meetings is beyond me. 

37 minutes ago, barryb said:

if you want to see a pig of a website that is designed by someone who is a computer nerd and not a regular user.

Having crap sites is not just the domain of the NZ TAB, in fact I actually don't mind the NZ TAB site.

It doesn't bother you that regularly these days the fixed odds displayed on the website aren't the actual odds the TAB are offering.  While an easy to navigate website is clearly an advantage, surely having the correct fixed odds displayed should be a main priority?

40 minutes ago, barryb said:

I agree that tab.com.au is a terrible website to bet on and ubet.com is bad, as well.  I like the New Zealand TAB site, but they can't keep going like this every Saturday with odds and results being thirty minutes behind.  I looked at a race from Newcastle yesterday.  The New Zealand TAB website was showing a win pool of just over 3 k.  At the same time tab.com.au showed over 30 k.  They were the same commingled pool.  This must drive customers away.  It did me yesterday anyway.  I just used overseas providers instead.

40 minutes ago, lecithin said:

It doesn't bother you that regularly these days the fixed odds displayed on the website aren't the actual odds the TAB are offering.  While an easy to navigate website is clearly an advantage, surely having the correct fixed odds displayed should be a main priority?

Nope not in the slightest, I have never encounter any issues, probably because almost all my bets are on long before  mid day.

I was at the punting comp taking fixed odds all day and never once did I get an odd that was different to the website, I had the mobile app and a tablet for the website, maybe I know how to refresh my electronic equipment.

8 minutes ago, lecithin said:

Glad it always works for you barry. But there's clearly an issue as judging by the other posts I'm not the only one experiencing the problem.

A lot on here also moan that they can't watch the online live feeds, again I have never had any issues with it.

I am always a bit suspicious of things like this as often its your technology causing the issue.

Since the update on the mobile app I am finding my phone is slow to load, yet my daughter with an iPhone5 can load instantly.

19 minutes ago, barryb said:

A lot on here also moan that they can't watch the online live feeds, again I have never had any issues with it.

I am always a bit suspicious of things like this as often its your technology causing the issue.

Since the update on the mobile app I am finding my phone is slow to load, yet my daughter with an iPhone5 can load instantly.

Sorry barryb, but yesterday wasn't a problem with the punters technology.  Neither are most of the other Saturdays.  The TAB acknowledged a few hours after it started::

7:20pm Update: This issue has now been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Technical Update

6:00pm Update: We're aware of an issue that is affecting the display of odds, pools and results on tab.co.nz for some customers.

The right people are fixing the problem and hope to have it resolved shortly.

3 hours ago, Bimbo said:

I agree that tab.com.au is a terrible website to bet on and ubet.com is bad, as well.  I like the New Zealand TAB site, but they can't keep going like this every Saturday with odds and results being thirty minutes behind.  I looked at a race from Newcastle yesterday.  The New Zealand TAB website was showing a win pool of just over 3 k.  At the same time tab.com.au showed over 30 k.  They were the same commingled pool.  This must drive customers away.  It did me yesterday anyway.  I just used overseas providers instead.

Nah Bimbo, No co mingling with NSW, only supertab.......VIC, etc.........rule number one, never bet into a non co mingling pool......I often see 3k or less on NSW races, go to Crownbet, or another corp, until TAB sign onto a streamlined service, it's a no go zone.

24 minutes ago, biff said:

Nah Bimbo, No co mingling with NSW, only supertab.......VIC, etc.........rule number one, never bet into a non co mingling pool......I often see 3k or less on NSW races, go to Crownbet, or another corp, until TAB sign onto a streamlined service, it's a no go zone.

It was a commingled pool.  Sometime after the race the pool updated to over 50 k on the New Zealand TAB.  The pools from every venue weren't updating, as far as I could see.  Anyway I am hopeful that John and his team of seven (yes that's right seven) General Managers will be working out how to stop it happening again in their early Monday morning meeting tomorrow.