RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
barryb

Te Rapa punting comp today

I see that BP is going to be taking part, good luck to him & he will create some interest.

Its been heavily promoted so I do hope the club gets a decent group for it.

I have been up 1/2 the night going through the form and working out strategy, all that will go out the window when I know doubt hit the big losing run.:D

barryb...

All the best in this latest endeavor.

I hope that you can give us a report on how it all goes...but that, if you are not able to do so, it's because you are celebrating.

Cheers.

Ashoka

It certainly was a great day.  The competition was well run as always by Andrew and it was generous of the club to put on free food and drinks.  Most importantly, the format of the competition - allowing almost all bet types on any races between the starting and finishing time - is clearly the best format for such competitions in my opinion.  I've got no idea why many other clubs running similar competitions often only allow tote bets on the on-course races (and force you to bet on every race).  I've got no doubt the Te Rapa format would have maximised turnover from the punters challenge and hence returns to the club so I'd suggest that other clubs that have these competitions consider similar rules.

Just now, lecithin said:

It certainly was a great day.  The competition was well run as always by Andrew and it was generous of the club to put on free food and drinks.  Most importantly, the format of the competition - allowing almost all bet types on any races between the starting and finishing time - is clearly the best format for such competitions in my opinion.  I've got no idea why many other clubs running similar competitions often only allow tote bets on the on-course races (and force you to bet on every race).  I've got no doubt the Te Rapa format would have maximised turnover from the punters challenge and hence returns to the club so I'd suggest that other clubs that have these competitions consider similar rules.

I hear you about the attractiveness of this format.

I do understand though why clubs traditionally wanted to maximise turnover on their own meeting. Whether or not the new funding model encourages this is an interesting discussion.

My understanding is that both the former and current funding policy return a percentage of money bet through the on course terminals to the club (except for Industry non event days where no turnover percentage is paid so clubs would obviously never run a competition on those days).  It has never mattered whether it is tote or fixed odds betting, or money bet on the on-course races or races from other venues, the percentage is the same.  Clubs can miss out with all-up or multis bets in the sense that only the initial investment is counted, so it's fair enough that those are excluded as they would get more if they are reinvested as separate bets race-by-race, but apart from that I can't see why they would place restrictions on what events can be bet on or the bet types that are allowed as the more turnover that is done, the more money they get....

Good to see an account of the competition on the Waikato Racing Club website:

It was the final race of the competition, the Lord Mayors Cup from Rosehill M11 R7 that featured the winning punt for the team behind Say My Name, who took out the grand prize at Te Rapa's Punters Challenge on Saturday.  Say My Name, walked away with the $5k prize on the back of a winning total of $6470, just pipping at the post the running leaders What A Deezer who had sat on their leading total of $6005 rather then risk a bet in the final race.   Arguably it was the individuals and teams who entered the competition who were the overall winners on the day - but we cap our hat to those behind Say My Name and look forward to hosting another competition here at Te Rapa in the future.