RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mr Spyro

General Ignorance

Just reading comments on a board after the article yesterday about the victimised horse trainers.  Surprised the number of people referring to the wealthy horsey set and how  " up themselves " horse people are in general .  In other words these idiots make no distinction between the show jumping set and the down to earth blokes and ladies that make up majority of training ranks.  Not sure how wide spread these prejudices are  but would have to say most I've met are damn hard working blokes / blokesses  doing it for the love of the game as bugger all return for all long hours put in.  For example we were talking to ex trainer Charlie Faulkner last week when Trevor McKee wandered past and stopped to have a word,  Salt of the earth types that wouldn't have a stuck up bone in their bodies.  I'm sure most people's here  experiences will be more like that.

Mr T McKee is an absolute gentleman.  When I was a teenager through to my late teens, I was frequently at the races helping my grandfather and uncle with their horses, often taking them in the birdcage etc, and Mr McKee would always say hi to me.  He even went as far to get me a sunline badge and hat for free, asked how I was.

The same goes for Mr Norm Holland, was an absolute gentlemen, was very good to talk to, and made an effort to say hi and even have a chat with my family when they were there, he got on really well with my grandfather.  Was a sad day when Mr Holland passed away, he was always good for a laugh and one of racings finest blokes.

yeah these genuine, largely unheralded gents and their hard working teams go on regardless...still  getting the odd winner and good strike rates.

Watched Jim Cassidy, Part 1,2 and 3 yesterday and the number of times he thanked trainers and Patrick Campbell for his advice and guidance during his apprenticeship

shows real testament to the bloke.

Agree most race horse trainers and those associated with putting in the long hours needed at the track are totally dedicated and hard working types. There are not many "born with a silver spoon in their mouth" types at the race track at 5.30am!

Erm, bazach, there are many folk in this country that put in 'long hours' and are 'totally dedicated' and 'hard working'.

In industries other than Racing, such effort is usually well-remunerated.

That the folk you cite are still, despite signs having been about for yonks, slaving away for no real reward suggests to me that they either regard their 'industry' as a hobby (which seems to me the way it is headed) or are downright delusional,,,.

16 minutes ago, Disillusioned said:

That the folk you cite are still, despite signs having been about for yonks, slaving away for no real reward suggests to me that they either regard their 'industry' as a hobby (which seems to me the way it is headed) or are downright delusional

Or, maybe they enjoy going to work every day... I wonder how good that feels!

20 minutes ago, Catalano said:

Or, maybe they enjoy going to work every day... I wonder how good that feels!

No problems with that, Catalano...

So they're hobbyists...

Loads of folk enjoy their jobs!

My point is that, if you're in Life for a fortune, Racing ain't (for most) the way to go...

Whinging that that is unfair is inherently an unproductive exercise...

On 31 March 2017 at 7:04 AM, Varro said:

Mr T McKee is an absolute gentleman.  When I was a teenager through to my late teens, I was frequently at the races helping my grandfather and uncle with their horses, often taking them in the birdcage etc, and Mr McKee would always say hi to me.  He even went as far to get me a sunline badge and hat for free, asked how I was.

The same goes for Mr Norm Holland, was an absolute gentlemen, was very good to talk to, and made an effort to say hi and even have a chat with my family when they were there, he got on really well with my grandfather.  Was a sad day when Mr Holland passed away, he was always good for a laugh and one of racings finest blokes.

Norm was a top fella , he always had time to talk to my son when at Ellerslie, one day he told me Matt could be a jockey , problem was he was nine at the time and taller than Norm ! 

Something that impressed me no end - I was at Ellerslie on Derby Day years back , one of the busiest days for everybody. There was an obviously mentally  handicapped fella  there that kept shouting over at Dave O'Sullivan  "   Where's Lance ? "   Dave went over to him and had a few words and basically said  Lance was busy but would be in the parade ring shortly. When Lance came out, and  before he jumped on the horse, Dave led  Lance over to meet this bloke,  to shake his hand and have a few words.  I  thought with all that was going on, to take the time to do that was a bloody decent gesture and it probably made the day for this poor bloke. 

1 hour ago, Mr Spyro said:

Something that impressed me no end - I was at Ellerslie on Derby Day years back , one of the busiest days for everybody. There was an obviously mentally  handicapped fella  there that kept shouting over at Dave O'Sullivan  "   Where's Lance ? "   Dave went over to him and had a few words and basically said  Lance was busy but would be in the parade ring shortly. When Lance came out, and  before he jumped on the horse, Dave led  Lance over to meet this bloke,  to shake his hand and have a few words.  I  thought with all that was going on, to take the time to do that was a bloody decent gesture and it probably made the day for this poor bloke. 

It's was you wasn't it, come on be honest.