RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
barryb

Awapuni Carnival Your opinion

Awapuni Carnival Your opinion  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Just wondered caters thoughts on this idea

• You like the idea
    • You don't like the idea

I am surprised that no one has started a thread about the proposal that appears to be gaining momentum for Awapuni.

It does appear on the face of it a great idea & is the logical location to drive racing forward in the CD.

What do those think who are regulars at Awapuni think?  does someone like you Huey have an opinion on what's proposed.

Guest 2Admin2

Of the proposed $8m redevelopment how much is going on fixing the track and stabling?

The concept seems a good one  , but its difficult to comment on until you know the dates/programme which events are being moved to the carnival etc, doesn't sound like its anything new yet , just a club coming of age and deciding it needs a carnival to take the next step up.

Below is one of the comments made after that article.

What a waste of money. Anyone involved in the racing industry knows it is on a rapid decline. Anyway, Palmy will never be the home of racing as Cambridge already strongly holds that title. Perhaps a better use of ratepayer funds would be to promote what we actually do well (education, farming, innovation, the arts). Horse racing is goneburger and this proposal smacks of personal interest

Cambridge is the home of racing? Breeding yes, but racing, nah I don't think so.

I don't see why not with an all weather track that Awapuni could not position itself to be the home of racing in this country.

Is Robert Holdway for real?  Problem gambling continues because  odd gamblers cannot control themselves. Should we close drinking establishments because some people drink too much? Should we close dairies because some people buy legal highs from them?  I get sick of do gooders controlling the masses because of a minority that need to look at their problem and go sort themselves out!  With racing in a precarious state any club making an attempt to improve the situation should be applauded not thrown  pathetic reasons to stop it before it gets any momentum.  At least this club has attempted to get people thinking and who knows what this suggestion gives those reading other ideas that may be even better. I say GOOD ON YA FOR PUTTING IT OUT THERE AWAPUNI. 

People like Robert Holdway do your head in .  Palmerston Nth  is an ideal central location  for this proposal. 50k investment  from the council is chicken feed . Its not as if Palmy has an abundance of events come on Mr Holdway bout time you lot proved Mr Cleese wrong with his comments on your city. 

4 hours ago, Bimbo said:

Yup.  The council probably couldn't build a public toilet block for 50 k.  Should be asking them for at least 500,000 k or more.

It raises the question though, why does the industry have to keep asking governments for more money regardless of quantum. Might it not be that there is something wrong with the product or business model that should be fixed first?

Perhaps not Leggy, Rugby Union and Americas Cup racing are 2 good examples who have venues etc supplied by the tax payer.

Why not racing, that draws in like the proposal says, accom, dining and other spending for the city, its only fair that rate payers or general taxation contribute something toward putting the event on.

5 hours ago, puha said:

People like Robert Holdway do your head in .  Palmerston Nth  is an ideal central location  for this proposal. 50k investment  from the council is chicken feed . Its not as if Palmy has an abundance of events come on Mr Holdway bout time you lot proved Mr Cleese wrong with his comments on your city. 

Don't they just give you the shits, some wanker whose existence has no doubt been funded by the tax payer for donkeys years, thinking that they know whats best for everyone else. Short-sighted pricks in a city often like you say Puha devoid of life.

29 minutes ago, Leggy said:

It raises the question though, why does the industry have to keep asking governments for more money regardless of quantum. Might it not be that there is something wrong with the product or business model that should be fixed first?

But it's okay for government to take from racing through gambling duty. etc?

These guys appear to have more of an idea:

http://www.thechampionships.com.au/news/latest-news/2015-the-championships-now-secured.aspx

I don't really think the NSW situation is relevant Bimbo. There the government receives much more than it gives. The reverse is already true here and as a taxpayer I'm not overly keen on that principle. Yes, I think it's OK for the government to receive duty when they legislatively provide a monopoly, funds from pokies etc. The NZ industry has had for many years what now amounts to $50m a year in duty relief that the likes of NSW racing is only just beginning to receive. Not sure as a taxpayer I like that.

33 minutes ago, barryb said:

Perhaps not Leggy, Rugby Union and Americas Cup racing are 2 good examples who have venues etc supplied by the tax payer.

Why not racing, that draws in like the proposal says, accom, dining and other spending for the city, its only fair that rate payers or general taxation contribute something toward putting the event on.

Yes, fair enough for the council to make an investment if it will benefit the ratepayer barryb. I'm not yet convinced, but perhaps could be. Racing also already has venues provided by the taxpayer. What is the net benefit / cost to the taxpayer of the Americas Cup and Rugby Union venues?

Leggy do you not think that people attending race meetings has a direct benefit to the community?

Last week I went to Woodville races and to Trentham. I spend over $1500 on Accom and food and other activities in Palmerston North, Woodville, Masterton, Carterton & Upper Hutt.  None of those towns would have got a $ from me if the meetings weren't on. the benefit to the community is that town-folk get to keep their jobs because I spent money there

50k!! Are they taking the p...,that's an insult.

Go it alone Awapuni,private investors (in and out of NZ)and subsidies to get the job done.I don't think Awapuni want to be" the home of racing it looks like they are using their innovative as any business would moving forward  for the future.

The more control on this project they can keep the better for it's success.

I tip my hat to the Central Districts for moving forward.Stay focused and good luck.

Cheers 

36 minutes ago, barryb said:

Leggy do you not think that people attending race meetings has a direct benefit to the community?

Last week I went to Woodville races and to Trentham. I spend over $1500 on Accom and food and other activities in Palmerston North, Woodville, Masterton, Carterton & Upper Hutt.  None of those towns would have got a $ from me if the meetings weren't on. the benefit to the community is that town-folk get to keep their jobs because I spent money there

But that didn't require any extra expenditure from the ratepayers barryb. You spent anyway.

Leggy needs to understand what BarryB is saying. Melb have had the F1 Grand Prix for about 12 - 15 years in a row. It costs the Vic Govt (read tax payers) hundreds of $millions to host it. But the spin off to the Vic economy by having F1 Teams, fans etc packing into the city for a week then holidaying on after the week is enormous. Ask the town at the centre of the Kumarra Nuggets if there's any benefit to the town by having that event. I think we all know the answer.