RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Deep South

Shocking

The Key is great stallion, great mare, great training and great patient ride...... Its too easy to explain why they are good AFTER they win a big race!! Congrats to everyone involved.

In the words of the man who has breed the most Melbourne Cup winners... "It's just a bloody fluke!"
It seems his trainer, Mr. Kavanaugh thought it was a fluke and was not expecting it. I played and replayed his reaction to the win over and over again about 6 times. I don't know when I've seen anyone so surprised and happy.

Laurence Eales has always had an interest in the Melbourne Cup and recalls giving his mother one dollar to go and have a punt on the race, but he completed the dream on Tuesday when Shocking, a horse he selected from 2007 Magic Millions National Horses in Training Sale at the Gold Coast for $64,000, won the race.

Even more remarkable is that the purchase came about because he liked the sire Street Cry after he started studying pedigree bloodlines, so then went and purchased progeny of the sire, he has kept Shocking as an entire, and even named him Shocking as he thought the name would be good to market a stallion with.

But is even more remarkable is that he had no outside help in selecting his future racehorses, including multiple Group 1 winner Whobegotyou. He did not have the yearlings checked by veterinary surgeons at the sales before bidding for the horses and simply selected who he liked the look of from a type point of view.

Eales had previous experience with horses after riding at Queensland rodeos, but selecting future thoroughbred champions is quite another.