RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
bazach

Weanling sale

Any comments on the offerings? Interesting that there are more colts than fillies this year. Are these sales still looked on as dumping grounds for incorrect horses? Interested in feedback from cafers.

Heading off for a couple of days again this year. Have been the last few years, I think the weanling catalogue is the weakest it has been in a few years, maybe an indication of vendors hanging on to stock because of the strong yearling sales?

Bazach

I don't think the current weanling are the "dumping ground" like they were 10-15 + years ago. You only have to look at the prices paid.

Talking of weanlings, I'm amazed at the size of the weanlings sold in Aussie --look at the photos of the stock in the Inglis sale starting on Sunday. Obviously the extra sun ( or hard feed !! ) helps them.

Swoopa

I haven't looked at the pedigrees much but I skimmed through the MM Catalogue and agree with you that's it looks OK. I think that Inglis are going to have to up their game considerably to maintain their position at the top of the Aussie bloodstock sales. Looking at the comparative figures for the key sires at the main yearling sales shows the MM have made huge gains in recent years because the figures are very close. This article looks at the first season sires but goes on to compare MM & Inglis.

http://www.breednet.com.au/news/121823/Inglis-Easter---First-Season-Sires

7 hours ago, Breeder said:

Swoopa

I haven't looked at the pedigrees much but I skimmed through the MM Catalogue and agree with you that's it looks OK. I think that Inglis are going to have to up their game considerably to maintain their position at the top of the Aussie bloodstock sales. Looking at the comparative figures for the key sires at the main yearling sales shows the MM have made huge gains in recent years because the figures are very close. This article looks at the first season sires but goes on to compare MM & Inglis.

As far as purchasing yearlings are conserned I think both sales are pretty even as far as quality with the Inglis sales making up ground in the last few years.

For vendors (smaller vendors)Inglis has improved tenfold IMO.For the large studs it's business as usual for both sales.

I won't pretend to be an expert on judging weanlings on type but I have to agree with Berri, the one he has mentioned looks fantastic and should do extremely really well, if you compare it to the Tavistock that sold in the April online sale for $91,000.

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 0:57 AM, Breeder said:

Swoopa

First skim of MM sale,colts culled down to 40 lots!!

Vendors would have to be happy with the first day of the NZB weanling sale. Interesting to see the Rider Horse NZ buying horses from throughout the price range --this is good for the future in that there would appear to be a market in China for cheaper horses.

Also the sales strategy of Dan Myers --selling his whole crop as weanlings ( I'm presuming it was his choice). Not sure I've seen that before.

Swoopa

I'm talking about day one of the NZB sale yesterday. According to the NZB stats there was a 188% increase in the median , 85% increase in the average and a 87% clearance. That has to be a good result , so far.

When you look  back at results of weanling sales in NZ, say 5 years ago, when heaps sold for under $1k then I think we can say things are changing for the better. The market must be improving , vendors are changing their strategies ( sending better stock , not just culls) NZB are promoting the sale better etc. etc.

32 minutes ago, Breeder said:

Swoopa

I'm talking about day one of the NZB sale yesterday. According to the NZB stats there was a 188% increase in the median , 85% increase in the average and a 87% clearance. That has to be a good result , so far.

When you look  back at results of weanling sales in NZ, say 5 years ago, when heaps sold for under $1k then I think we can say things are changing for the better. The market must be improving , vendors are changing their strategies ( sending better stock , not just culls) NZB are promoting the sale better etc. etc.

In addition Swoopa, there are less horses being bred - the days of the local 'cow cocky' having a broodmare or two have all-but finished, I believe foals being bred are now around 4,000, and the wider Asian market is buying plenty, so supply and demand are working well. Maybe some ex mare owners will be encouraged back, as long as studs don't see this (so far) short term increase as a way to crank up stud fees.

Breeder and Bazach,I don't  disagree with your  comments.

My post was regarding the  quality of the sale and as there was high demand the numbers looked good on paper.But imo if you dig a little deeper into the % they maybe not as good as first thought.The two main contributing factors  are Mr Myers weanlings  and the cash splashing Chinese(median and average sale %) as for the clearance %,I like most take this with  a pinch of salt as a high % of NZB as agent sales are buy backs or bids that don't  make their reserve like all sales in NZ/AS. 

Demand is high at the moment  which all contribute to higher sales even if the quality  isn't there.

I look forward too your thoughts for the upcoming MM and Victoria weanling sale .

Cheers 

5 hours ago, Swoopa said:

,I like most take this with  a pinch of salt as a high % of NZB as agent sales are buy backs or bids that don't  make their reserve like all sales in NZ/AS. 

You're right on to it Swoopa!

Swoopa , for the industry's sake I hope it is not a one -off year and there is a positive change happening. With the two online auctions available now, this gives those with weanlings which would not normally sell for much an option of selling at a reduced cost and so removing the tail from the NZB auction , the Chinese/Asian buyers will hopefully come each year and as a result vendors will be encouraged to use the weanling sale option for better stock.

It will be interesting to see if the remaining two main Aussie sales keep up with the pace of sales so far this year --there definitely seems to be a resurgence in TB horse investment.

I hope that Tavistock keeps turning out the top horses --there is now a lot of money riding on future success ! I see no reason why he should not continue.

Yes,let's  hope the industry  finds a nice balance  for all.Spoke with a mate of mine who said that pre catalogue the Melbourne  sale was holding up with some nice weanlings .My MM catalogue is  down to 20 lots.

Cheers 

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 5:05 AM, Breeder said:

Swoopa , for the industry's sake I hope it is not a one -off year and there is a positive change happening. With the two online auctions available now, this gives those with weanlings which would not normally sell for much an option of selling at a reduced cost and so removing the tail from the NZB auction , the Chinese/Asian buyers will hopefully come each year and as a result vendors will be encouraged to use the weanling sale option for better stock.

It will be interesting to see if the remaining two main Aussie sales keep up with the pace of sales so far this year --there definitely seems to be a resurgence in TB horse investment.

I hope that Tavistock keeps turning out the top horses --there is now a lot of money riding on future success ! I see no reason why he should not continue.

Breeder, Huey, etc , anything  you like in the two upcoming sales?

Swoopa

I haven't looked in detail at the MM sale but I think it is a good quality sale, on paper. So depending on what you wanted to buy for (eg. pin hook for on selling at the yearling sale , keep and prepare a bit further for on sale or race yourself) --I'd go to the sale thinking there are a lot of good weanlings by "fashionable , hyped up sires" but they are all cannot get good prices , so I'd look at weanlings by slightly less fashionable sires or sires whose progeny will take a little longer. I say this because I think given the state of the market the pinhookers will be out in force.

If I had the money ( which I haven't) and was going to buy  I'd look at weanlings by Animal Kingdom, So You Think and Camelot. If you wanted something cheap I'd look at the Toorak Toff's -- has not done anything yet and for some reason hasn't sold at all well ( there could be a very good reason for that) but I think he might one of those that will leave sprinters who are late 2year old or 3 before they show their worth.

Personally, at sales I see the intended lots the same if I was going to resale at the yearling or RTR sale,or  keep to race.i will always say to myself ,would i buy this lot as a yearling,2yr old or could I race this horse?Not always, but looking at these upcoming sales I am liking the look of some of the  lots with freshman sires,sometimes a little of the unknown is worth the gamble.The 1st dam for me is not that important but the 2nd dam should be strong and have depth in the line.

Any auction  is a gamble,you just hope you come out on top at the end of the day with no regrets .

Cheers 

Basically agree with you Swoopa , but I suppose what I was trying to say is, if you're looking for some value then look away from the "in fashion sires". I would not be surprised to see some "inflated" prices paid for the progeny of those fashionable sires at the MM sale, so to get some value , no matter what you're aiming to do, look for some good alternatives. The three I mentioned were just looking at the newer sires.

I would take a slightly different approach if I was trying to pinhook vs buying to race myself because with pinhooking I'd be looking forward to who I thought would be the next "flavour of the month" at the yearling sales. For example, I think the clever buyers at NZB went past Tavistock ( large numbers coming down the pipeline) and bought Makfi's. I'm not sure what the Aussie's would be looking at.

But no matter what you're buying for, I agree that on type you have be trying to envisage what type the weanling will grow into ---for that I'd definitely need some experienced help --yearlings are hard enough but weanlings are a more difficult proposition.