RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mr_gee

Tavistock fee set

Tavistock fee set
Article courtesy of Dennis Ryan, The Informant

Speculation around the 2016 service fee for new boom sire Tavistock has finally ended.
In an exclusive announcement to The Informant, Sir Patrick Hogan has revealed that the rising 11-year-old will stand at a fee of $65,000 in his seventh breeding season at Cambridge Stud.
“It’s been a very difficult exercise in arriving at a fee that reflects the tremendous success of his first two crops as well as being fair to broodmare owners,” Sir Patrick said. “Mind you, that’s second only to the other side of the equation, sorting through the hundreds of service applications and deciding who’s in and who’s not.”
The rise of Tavistock from a stallion commanding a fee of $7,000 just two years ago to now be second only to Waikato Stud’s headline act Savabeel amongst New Zealand stallions has been nothing short of extraordinary.
When he retired to Cambridge Stud as a dual Group One winner in 2010, the son of Montjeu covered 127 mares a fee of $12,500. His 2011 book at the same fee numbered 94 and he covered 82 mares in his third season at $10,000. A further reduction to $8,000 attracted 105 mares and he was set to cover a similar number at $7,000 in 2014.
That was off the back of his first crop daughter Avisto winning the Listed Great Northern Foal Stakes at Ellerslie as an autumn two-year-old and she took that form into the spring with a stakes win at Wanganui. The turning point for Tavistock, however, was one weekend in September when Avisto completed a black-type hat-trick in the Listed Soliloquy Stakes and in the very next race at Ellerslie Tavistock gelding Volkstok’n’barrell backed up from a maiden win to add the Gr. 3 Bonecrusher Stakes. Throw in a Gloaming Stakes placing by Diamond Valores at Rosehill the same day, and Tavistock was suddenly the bargain of the season.
By the completion of breeding activities that December, Tavistock had covered 197 mares and those breeders with mares in foal to him sat back and watched as the feature wins mounted. Volkstok’n’barrell added the Gr. 2 Great Northern Guineas and Listed Karaka Mile before being placed in the Avondale Guineas and New Zealand Derby, then exacting revenge on his arch rival Mongolian Khan in the Gr. 1 Rosehill Guineas.
Fellow Tavistock gelding Werther emerged late in the season to win the Gr. 2 Championship Stakes at Ellerslie and in a three-race Australian campaign finished second in the South Australian and Queensland Derby and between the two classics won the Gr. 2 Eagle Farm Cup. A third gelding from Tavistock’s first crop, a leggy bay by the alluring name of Hasselhoof, got tongues wagging with a brace of runaway wins coming through the grades and as a summer four-year-old he won the Gr. 2 Rich Hill Mile in his open company debut.
The achievements of Tavistock’s progeny had inevitably prompted a rise in service fee and he covered his largest ever book of 211 mares last spring at a fee of $15,000. The young stallion’s second crop had by then entered the fray, led by Victoria Derby winner Tarzino and added to in the second half of the current season by Tavago, the winner of the Gr. 3 Wellington Stakes late last year before bouncing back to claim the Australian Derby.
“It really is a dilemma and I find myself in an impossible position trying to satisfy everyone."
By now Australian breeders were convinced that Tavistock was the real deal and if further evidence was needed for an even wider audience, it came when Werther – sold last year to clients of Hong Kong trainer John Moore – won the Hong Kong Derby and then became just the fourth horse to back up successfully in the Queen Elizabeth ll Cup at Sha Tin.
That final act was just last Sunday, in the middle of which Sir Patrick Hogan was working through the pile of service applications deciding which mares would be offered their chance at the available nominations.
“We had more than 280 applications before last weekend and when Werther won again we had another bunch come in,” Hogan said earlier this week. “The problem is that by the time you add up Cambridge Stud’s service rights, share-holder mares and the pre-emptive right of share-holders to send further mares, there are only 60 to 70 outside nominations.
“It really is a dilemma and I find myself in an impossible position trying to satisfy everyone. Those whose applications are successful will no doubt be pleased, but there will be a whole lot of other broodmare owners who will miss out.”
The pile of applications included around 50 from Australian breeders and some 45 mares by Zabeel, who features in the pedigrees of more than half of Tavistock’s major winners (see page 27).
Having stood champion stallions Sir Tristram and Zabeel in Cambridge Stud’s 40-year history, Hogan is familiar with the brinkmanship required in both selecting a stallion’s final book and setting a service fee. On the latter point, however, the current scenario around Tavistock is unique.
“To have left such a list of big winners in such a short time sets Tavistock apart,” says Hogan. “It didn’t happen quite like that with Sir Tristram and Zabeel, it was more gradual, but for a stallion’s fee to make such a dramatic rise in the space of two years is something I’ve never seen before.”
In setting Tavistock’s 2016 fee at $65,000, which is exclusive of GST and includes a life foal guarantee, Hogan believes he is being both realistic and fair.
“I’m absolutely comfortable in my belief that he belongs at that level,” he said. “The way his progeny are developing and performing there’s clearly another leap to take in the future, but as things stand now I believe we’ve got it right

When you look at the fees in Australia for some new unproven stallions, this looks very reasonable. Well done to those who got in when the fee was lower. It looks like even at this fee the foal crops will still be large.( I'm assuming Cambridge's standing rights and shareholder noms. are at least equal to the outside mares mentioned in the article)

There are large numbers "coming down the line" and I hope for all those involved Tavistock's progeny continue to excel.

1 hour ago, Breeder said:

When you look at the fees in Australia for some new unproven stallions, this looks very reasonable. Well done to those who got in when the fee was lower. It looks like even at this fee the foal crops will still be large.( I'm assuming Cambridge's standing rights and shareholder noms. are at least equal to the outside mares mentioned in the article)

There are large numbers "coming down the line" and I hope for all those involved Tavistock's progeny continue to excel.

Exactly what I was thinking, when a horse like Brazen Beau can command $44k or Vancouver at $66k the fee looks fair. Standing for less than Pierro who hasn't even had a runner yet.

Going to be very difficult to maintain his current momentum though so time to cash in.

Good on Patrick. Some who have enjoyed recent success were mocking him a season or 2 ago. "he's finished" "got nothing" "Cambridge Stud not what it used to be" "Patricks going to sell up" were things that were bandied around the breeding scene. Now he has done it again, got another champion and is on top again, will no doubt reassert himself as chief yearling vendor and the premier breeding identity in this country. NZ has had 2 legendary sires, now there looks to be a third on the rise and rightly belongs at Cambridge Stud, beautiful farm, beautiful heritage and history behind it and some may say that Marcus, Stanno and Swampy are beautiful too but that is less than likely.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:37 AM, Mattski said:

If you had a top mare like Abidewithme (and plenty of $) would you go to Savabeel at $100k or Tavistock at $65k?

Just something interesting....Tavistock has a half sister (well actually 3/4 sister) by High Chaparral in the UK who is in foal to Redoubt's Choice northern hemisphere time.

Also Showing Off, a 3yo gelding by Notnowcato out of Walk on Water (who is Tavy's half sister by Exceed and Excel) won extremely well at Goodwood at his second start. This might be a very good horse because he was extremely green but burst through with a fine turn of foot to win by 1 1/2 lengths.

Tavi Bay who won at odds yesterday at Caulfield could be another potential G1 winner should she go on to the Oaks/Derby in Queensland. That would put the icing on the cake for the season.

I would definitely put Tarzino/Tavago more in the boat that being a good staying 3yo doesn't automatically mean you are going to be a star Melbourne spring horse!, many 3yo's don't come back early as 4yos and can be better suited as Autumn 4yo's or older horses so don't think you could make a suggestions that Tavistocks don't train on. (Werther/Volkstock'n'Barrell trained on pretty good as 4yo's)

In reality it is going to be very difficult to repeat last seasons heroics of Derby wins in Melbourne/Sydney/Hong Kong) but his quality and numbers of mares served has improved hugely considering they were pretty much giving them away free to shareholders in the 2013 season (2014 crop).

My biggest valid concern at this stage would be his lack of quality fillies, so far the best results that his fillies have produced is 2 3yo Listed winners. So far his fillies have really lacked the quality that the colts/geldings have, otherwise his early stats look great and he has already produced 4 G1 winners and 9 stakes winners overall in total

Good to see Tavistock's daughter Harlow Gold run a very game 2nd in the VRC Oaks (G1) yesterday, should have every chance in picking up an Oaks in Sydney/Brisbane, Tavi Bay was also impressive winning 1st up over 8.5f and she could progress into turning into a black type staying mare as she strengthens.

Interestingly both of these daughter's of Tavistock are out of Danzig line mares.

One of the most prepotent crosses in the northern hemisphere is Sadlers Wells over Danehill mares. This actually extends to all Danzig lines. So this should not come as a surprise . It was only a meter of time before Tavistock came up with another good filly. Tavi, who has been retired, was a group one winner in the wings but hurt herself 

1 hour ago, Berri said:

. It was only a meter of time before Tavistock came up with another good filly. Tavi, who has been retired, was a group one winner in the wings but hurt herself 

You really reckon Tavy was a Group 1 winner in waiting?, big call although she was a smart enough filly but surely potential G1 winner is pushing it (never placed in an Open Class Group race, and had her chance's in Group company at 3)

I'm a big fan of Tavistock, so hoping for some Group winning Tavistock fillies soon!, there's some talented ones out there just need to do the job

9 hours ago, BruceL said:

You really reckon Tavy was a Group 1 winner in waiting?, big call although she was a smart enough filly but surely potential G1 winner is pushing it (never placed in an Open Class Group race, and had her chance's in Group company at 3)

I'm a big fan of Tavistock, so hoping for some Group winning Tavistock fillies soon!, there's some talented ones out there just need to do the job

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Berri, I was starting to believe all of what you wrote but now I am starting to doubt my judgement. 

I'm impartial in respect of my reporting because I didn't own this filly. I can tell you that the data I have on her shows her to be in the top 2% which gets her to group one. She never quite hit the mark because of all sorts of reasons and ended up fracturing a cannon. For me data is data. I don't try to corrupt it. I just report it.

8 hours ago, Berri said:

I'm impartial in respect of my reporting because I didn't own this filly. I can tell you that the data I have on her shows her to be in the top 2% which gets her to group one. She never quite hit the mark because of all sorts of reasons and ended up fracturing a cannon. For me data is data. I don't try to corrupt it. I just report it.

Fear enough, you may not own the filly but it is well known the connection/link you have to Bloomsbury Stud/Duchess Of Bedford ,everyone has their systems but records do the talking as a huge number of horse's don't reach their 'potential' due to many reasons.

A G2 placed Listed winner, Hopefully Tavistock gets his first Group winning daughter soon!, as I have mentioned I'm a big Tavistock fan so this is not around knocking Tavistock, just facts and results so far.

My connection has nothing to do with this. I wouldn't pervert the course of data because that makes a mockery of the process. The data we get benchmarks certain physiological parameters and these have been proven to be very reliable in both hemispheres. I just report on those parameters. You may have noticed that I don't call many good horses on this site but an example of when I did was a post stating that Ugo Vescolo was a data image of Jimmy Choux and that call was made before he had raced.... all to do with the data.....nothing to do with a personal opinion or whether or not I know the owners well.

Not an attack at all Berri, appreciate and love everything you post and your knowledge is unquestionable, just trying to understand how Tavy rates so how high on her record . How do other non G1 winning mates in NZ rate then?,the likes of top G1 performing Mares that have the results on the board like Stolen Dance and other G1 mares around?