ngatimaru

Stallion One Hit Wonders

238 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Insider said:

Now I haven't re-read every posting [so he may have already been mentioned] but in my opinion the horse who would just about top the list of "one hit wonders" isNorman Pentaquad because of his near superstar in Doriemus, Melbourne Cup, Caulfield Cup, Queen Elizabeth Stakes, Turnbull Stakes and $3,588,412 etc.

Having said that he wasn't really a one hit wonder as Norman Pentaquad went on to become the Worlds leading sire of Polo Ponies under the ownership of Kerry Packer!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shifnal sired the very good winners, Shifnal Chief, and Shifnal Prince, who went to stud for fun rather than profit. Andretti too?

Cyrus was not here for long but sired Apollo Eleven, Cyron (top miler in Australia and at stud here later, without creating wave) and Fort Street, who placed in an Auckland Cup. Apart from those 2 performers at 2 miles, Cyretta won a lower grade race at 2 miles. Jiggs Alarm sired Black Frost, who was a good bet on heavy tracks. Trying to think of another mudder by Sedgewick but it might have been just Alwick.

Desert Sun sired Desert Lad(?), who won 10 or more races and another very good mare, who won in Australia - besides Sunline. Trictrac sired Seven Forty Seven, who won 3 Taranaki Cups. Probably one of the most successful racehorses or sires owned by Nelson Bunker Hunt.

As most of the sires mentioned here on these posts are from the 1970s to 1980s, perhaps we could list some of the most disappointing sires, based on their race record. I offer Roi Lear, champion 3 y.o. colt in France as one. Also, Pevero was expected to do well, as touted by Glyn Tucker as the type of stallion that N.Z. needed, but didn't perform here. Roi Lear had a Timeform rating of 128 and Pevero was 123. Somewhere I have a list of high ratings of stallions that came here, before the time of shuttle stallions when the 'best' were more readily available.

When you read an old Stallions Register, you could say that more than 90% appear as disappointing. Premiership lists usually run to just the top twenty and anything else seems to be quickly forgotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ngatimaru said:

Wasn't Barrellan by High Rank ?

Trained by Bill Sanders. Won heaps.

Yes. Yes & Yes.

Hey Rodney did you see 7 sharp earlier this evening. A woman with her daughter trying to find the father of the daughter. Only had his first name.....Rodney!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Phar Lap Fan said:

Shifnal sired the very good winners, Shifnal Chief, and Shifnal Prince, who went to stud for fun rather than profit. Andretti too?

Cyrus was not here for long but sired Apollo Eleven, Cyron (top miler in Australia and at stud here later, without creating wave) and Fort Street, who placed in an Auckland Cup. Apart from those 2 performers at 2 miles, Cyretta won a lower grade race at 2 miles. Jiggs Alarm sired Black Frost, who was a good bet on heavy tracks. Trying to think of another mudder by Sedgewick but it might have been just Alwick.

Desert Sun sired Desert Lad(?), who won 10 or more races and another very good mare, who won in Australia - besides Sunline. Trictrac sired Seven Forty Seven, who won 3 Taranaki Cups. Probably one of the most successful racehorses or sires owned by Nelson Bunker Hunt.

As most of the sires mentioned here on these posts are from the 1970s to 1980s, perhaps we could list some of the most disappointing sires, based on their race record. I offer Roi Lear, champion 3 y.o. colt in France as one. Also, Pevero was expected to do well, as touted by Glyn Tucker as the type of stallion that N.Z. needed, but didn't perform here. Roi Lear had a Timeform rating of 128 and Pevero was 123. Somewhere I have a list of high ratings of stallions that came here, before the time of shuttle stallions when the 'best' were more readily available.

When you read an old Stallions Register, you could say that more than 90% appear as disappointing. Premiership lists usually run to just the top twenty and anything else seems to be quickly forgotten.

Decies wasn't bad... a fairly decent Broodmare sire.. and Bunker Hunt had some nice racehorses.. Vaguely Noble wasn't shabby, nor was Dahar.. but I think Altitude must rate as one of his better here :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Back to Peter's question about the sire...    a few guesses...  Magellan, Wham or Creag-An-Sgor?

Ted, was that you that used to run Willowbank in Eke?

 

 

 

No Chestnut, it was my father. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May have missed it but surprised nobody mentioned Alonzo- sired Rising Fast.

Pharamond not all that crash hot either.

Ditto Golovine, but sired some bloody good jumpers.

Two other 'nill-ers'

Sleipnir

North Pole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:00 PM, rdytdy said:

Yes. Yes & Yes.

Hey Rodney did you see 7 sharp earlier this evening. A woman with her daughter trying to find the father of the daughter. Only had his first name.....Rodney!   

Didn't see it ,but if that was me I'd be 42??

Considering I won the Easter in 1969??

Think again...Duh !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:25 PM, von Smallhaussen said:

Hey Ngati - getting back to the original question, how big is your mare and what are her front legs like?

She is 15.3 & legs good.

Going back to Super Easy.

Thanks Guys..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:18 PM, Chestnut said:

Decies wasn't bad... a fairly decent Broodmare sire.. and Bunker Hunt had some nice racehorses.. Vaguely Noble wasn't shabby, nor was Dahar.. but I think Altitude must rate as one of his better here :)

 

Wasn't Dulcify by Decies ???

Not a bad nag...Cox plate by 6 or more..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot about this fella! - Umteen; half brother by Alcimedes to champion sire Sobig (Summertime). He was a poor racehorse and - a poorer sire. I had one by him - couldn't keep up with our dog! Sad really, because with that pedigree you would have thought a few good ones would have emerged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rdytdy said:

PJ An answer for your question. What about Heir Presumptive.

 

 

Heir Presumptive stood alongside Sir Tristram at Cambridge Stud.

Others I have thought of are Domingly and Val Dansant who stood at Redoubt Park. Also Zeitan who stood at Glenmorgan.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dahar was also very disappointing eh. Think his service started at about $50k and was very well bred and performed over distance. 

In fact it seems a number of US stallions who have come here have been disappointing? Though I'm sure there's a few exceptions as always in racing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now