RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ngatimaru

Stallion One Hit Wonders

2 hours ago, Mattski said:

Dahar was also very disappointing eh. Think his service started at about $50k and was very well bred and performed over distance. 

In fact it seems a number of US stallions who have come here have been disappointing? Though I'm sure there's a few exceptions as always in racing!

Good point Mattski about stallions imported here who have raced in the US. I also believe that they have performed below expectations. I don't have any stats, just basing it on empirical evidence and following breeding here for 40 years. Probably this topic should be a separate post, but certainly worth discussing. They do race a lot on dirt, and many seem to bring leg issues with them which they leave with their offspring. Again, I don't have any stats, but would be interested in others' views.

25 minutes ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Left 1 SW - Page Boy - a Paddy Busuttin charge in think

Close. I am assuming the other three stallions I mentioned Domingly, Val Dasant or Zeitan isn't the one you refer to either?  

A summary of suggestions:

NON-QUALIFIERS

1 SW

Blue Razor, Tempio, Kimberley Mine, As Before, Lire News, Americus, Nuclear Pulse (Wellington Guineas winner Honour Bright), Attalas (Gr3 wnr Saddleback), Black Prince II , Piccolo Player, Pirgos, Aberconway (Wanganui Cup wnr Arcon), Princes Gate (Sandown Guineas wnr Ascot Lane), Iades (1 NH SW and 0 from 165 SH foals.

Also:

Bold Tale (2 SWs)

Faith Guest (2 SWs)

Travolta (2 SWs) 

Masterpiece (2 SWs incl. Gr1 wnr Rodin)

Depot (2 SWs incl. Petrify)

Umteen (3 SWs incl. Glamour Star)

Jiggs Alarm (3 SWs)

Sovereign's Charm (3 SW incl. He'll Do - Queensland Guineas)

Young Brolga (3 SW incl. WA Gr2 wnr Super Red)

Val Dansant (3 SW incl. Queensland Derby wnr Dorset Downs)

Minardi (3 SWs - 1 NZ-bred - but from 455 foals !)

Valuta (3 SWs incl. Beaver Boy)

Star Wolf (4 SWs)

Danehill's brothers were disappointing but still left SWs - Nuclear Freeze (2 SWs) and Anziyan (8 SWs)

Brocco left 11 SWs incl. 2 Gr1 wnrs

Imperial March left 3 NZ-bred Gr1 wnrs in South Africa

Catrail - almost Arrowfield's worst stallion - still left 16 SWs incl 5 down under the best of which was Catatonic

Zieten left 12 SWs, mostly in France but left the NZ Magic Millions winner (and later a sire himself) Quorum

The following left a Gr1 wnr: Creag-an-Sgor (NZ Oaks wnr Let's Sgor), Wham (Captain Cook - Cambridge Stud Intl), Takearisk (Mr Trick), Gleam Machine (Oaks wnr Lady Agnes), 

QUALIFIERS - 0 SWs - total foal numbers in brackets

Rimex (88), Realistic (36), Persian Hope (83), Blue Carnation (82), Aliyoun (75), Scotch Dewar (65), Sergeant Major (66), Magellan (35), Sleipnir (53), North Pole (83), Welsh Whistler (72), Zarabanda (72), Rossini (83 - but left 7 NH SWs), Try To Stop me (40), Warsaw Pact (33), Royal Chase (52),

Special mention - Tod Craig (105), Quito (143), Domingly (115), Ski Captain (194 in both Japan & NZ).

BIJOU D'INDE still rules

One everyone has missed was HEADLAND II who stood at Jack Macky's Pirongia Stud. A son of Ribot and closely related to Nasrullah he was a non-winner in 2 starts. he got the very best of mares which his predecessor Le Filou had converted into many sires premierships but was found out after fathering 194 foals the best of whom was probably Ploughman who took 19 starts to clear maiden ranks, was runner-up in a Parliamentary (to Ross Hunter) and a Great Northern Hurdles (to Mr. Hickey) among his 104 career starts.

HEADLAND 11 MENTIONED BY MYSELF ON PAGE 1 OF THIS THREAD.

A friend of mine owned a headland 11 horse out of either Bound to honour or Honour Bound named OUTWARD BOUND.From memory it won a highweight.

Luckily the owner had better luck with the pacers TRUE KIWI and,TRUE TEMPER and the gallopers RITUAL and SASANOFF GOLD.

All his gallopers were trained by W Sanders at Te Awamutu.

17 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

HEADLAND 11 MENTIONED BY MYSELF ON PAGE 1 OF THIS THREAD.

A friend of mine owned a headland 11 horse out of either Bound to honour or Honour Bound named OUTWARD BOUND.From memory it won a highweight.

Luckily the owner had better luck with the pacers TRUE KIWI and,TRUE TEMPER and the gallopers RITUAL and SASANOFF GOLD.

All his gallopers were trained by W Sanders at Te Awamutu.

Nice work Crusty. I remember Ritual well. Made a bit off him.Upward Bound is the one you're thinking of I would say. He was a half-brother to Bound To Honour and won a couple on the flat before hurdle wins at Whangarei and Te Rapa before a steeplechase success at Mornington.

Weaving Girl who won the Masterton Cup was possibly his best daughter.

On 5/2/2016 at 1:08 PM, Peter Jenkins said:

Left 1 SW - Page Boy - a Paddy Busuttin charge in think

Hi Peter ... talk about flashbacks :) Page Boy was with Paddy Bussuttin.

Very good horse considering how bad his front legs were, this horse worked the beach most days and Paddy had him wrapped in cotton wool to keep him sound.

I did get to ride him track work now and then... everyone like riding Page Boy he was super quite :)

28 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

What about Bagwis - he was at Stud somewhere in the 'naki for a while I think?   Not sure how many mares he covered though.

backed 1 of the few winners by Bagwis if there were any others.

His name was Grasscutter ridden by David Peake and trained by Des Riordan.

Last by 3 lengths at the 800 stormed down the outside paid approx. $17 if I remember.

He was a monster of a horse out of Wattle who was by Rapier 11.

Went in the wind not long after

1 hour ago, crustyngrizzly said:

backed 1 of the few winners by Bagwis if there were any others.

His name was Grasscutter ridden by David Peake and trained by Des Riordan.

Last by 3 lengths at the 800 stormed down the outside paid approx. $17 if I remember.

He was a monster of a horse out of Wattle who was by Rapier 11.

Went in the wind not long after

That was the only race he won in his 24 starts. Came from last to get up by a long neck running 1:45:81 for the 1600m. He had ten further starts and never finished in the money. 

Nowhere as good as a  horse with a similar name in Turfcutter trained by Ray Verner. 

Sir Peter Vela would have to be the king of the one horse wonder stallions:

Cavilleiri (G1) by Gaius (IRE)
Marmalitre (G1) by Wolverton (IRE)
Tethys (G1) by Kings Island (GB)
Guiseppina (G1) by Johar (USA)

Desert Sun - Sunline...  Pretty sure a one hit wonder but stand to be corrected.

Oops, got thru the first page and posted about Desert Sun.. But just realised there are heaps more pages so its problably been mentioned already.

Edited by Ponderosa8

1 minute ago, Ponderosa8 said:

Desert Sun - Sunline...  Pretty sure a one hit wonder but stand to be corrected.

Also left the G1 winners Egyptian Reign and La Bella Dama. Left 26 Stakes winners in total.

Was also the sire of the unraced mare Helsinge who left of course Black Caviar and All Too Hard.