RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ngatimaru

Stallion One Hit Wonders

13 minutes ago, Yir Tiz said:

Here's an oldie for a site who left a "good" one....Della Porta sire of Captain Peri 4th in a Melbourne Cup!!

He also ran third at 14/1 in the 1974 Melbourne Cup won by Think Big. Leilani ran second.

The following year he finished fifth behind Think Big again.   

2 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

He ran third at 14/1 in the 1974 Melbourne Cup won by Think Big. Leilani ran second.

The following year he finished fifth behind Think Big again.   

Thanks for that he was the only one from DP, l had a Hunter by DP that we probably should have sent steeplechasing.... He would jump anything, we put a very young Nigel Tiley on him one day in the paddock at Takanini..... He came back after a round of the paddock and a couple of jumps.... Quite ashen!!!!. Remember this would be about 40 years ago!!.

4 minutes ago, Yir Tiz said:

Thanks for that he was the only one from DP, l had a Hunter by DP that we probably should have sent steeplechasing.... He would jump anything, we put a very young Nigel Tiley on him one day in the paddock at Takanini..... He came back after a round of the paddock and a couple of jumps.... Quite ashen!!!!. Remember this would be about 40 years ago!!.

Captain Peri was trained by Jack Woods who incidentally is Winona Costin's great grandfather. 

The biggest seperation in success between siblings at stud would have to be Danehill and his brothers, had a few who stood in Australia and NZ but were comparative failures. Noholme, Todman and Shifnal are an interesting example of siblings at stud and contrasting success

14 minutes ago, Canelo said:

The biggest seperation in success between siblings at stud would have to be Danehill and his brothers, had a few who stood in Australia and NZ but were comparative failures. Noholme, Todman and Shifnal are an interesting example of siblings at stud and contrasting success

Actually, the three full brothers Noholme (US), Todman (Aus) and Shifnal (NZ) were all very successful at stud. Todman has also left his mark as a sire f sires.

23 minutes ago, bazach said:

Actually, the three full brothers Noholme (US), Todman (Aus) and Shifnal (NZ) were all very successful at stud. Todman has also left his mark as a sire f sires.

From memory Noholme went to stud in the US and was successful, I may be wrong on that one but I thought that Todman was a bit like an Octagonal of his day, Champion on the track but not a raging success at stud-well before my time so I am probably inaccurate in my understanding. Has anybody got a stud/race record of these 3 horses, would be interesting to see.

Here's one for you Peter - Did Minardi leave a stakes winner? Well credentialed and stood at Pukekawa but pretty hopeless as a stallion, although only stood a couple of seasons I believe. Another one who stood alongside him was Rossini who wasn't any better I believe...

Another one that springs to mind is Harleigh who stood alongside Fairs Fair. Harleigh was very disappointing in view of his credentials. Fairs Fair on the other hand was a very good sire.

2 hours ago, Canelo said:

Nuclear Freeze in Oz and good old Anziyan? That stood here for a period.

Now I haven't re-read every posting [so he may have already been mentioned] but in my opinion the horse who would just about top the list of "one hit wonders" isNorman Pentaquad because of his near superstar in Doriemus, Melbourne Cup, Caulfield Cup, Queen Elizabeth Stakes, Turnbull Stakes and $3,588,412 etc.

Having said that he wasn't really a one hit wonder as Norman Pentaquad went on to become the Worlds leading sire of Polo Ponies under the ownership of Kerry Packer!

10 hours ago, Canelo said:

From memory Noholme went to stud in the US and was successful, I may be wrong on that one but I thought that Todman was a bit like an Octagonal of his day, Champion on the track but not a raging success at stud-well before my time so I am probably inaccurate in my understanding. Has anybody got a stud/race record of these 3 horses, would be interesting to see.

Both Noholme and Todman were trained by Maurice McCarten. When someone asked him how he would compare the two horses, he replied, "If you invited both horses to afternoon tea, you would find Noholme the perfect gentleman--punctual, gracious, and always willing to please. Todman, on the other hand, would arrive late and without apology. He would greedily eat everything within his reach and knock over a table stretching for more. When he had finally had enough, he would then sit back and look to start an argument."

Todman commenced stud duty in 1960 and stood at the Widden Stud and Baramul Studs in the Widden Valley. He covered 20- 40 mares per season and died in 1976. He sired 38 stakes winners including Golden Slipper winners Eskimo Prince (1964) and Sweet Embrace (1967), Blue Diamond winners Blazing Saddles (1977) and New Gleam (1973) as well as other quality stakes winning racehorses, such as Ricochet, Imposing and Crewman (five stakes wins).These winners saw Todman become one of the best locally bred sires produced in Australasia.

Todman was champion sire of two-year-olds twice. His daughters produced 45 stakes winners. Australian Horses of the Year Dulcify and Maybe Mahal were produced from Todman's daughters Sweet Candy and Faithfully Yours, respectively.

Noholme  sired 24 two-year-old winners in his first crop, putting him on top of the American list of first crop sires. In that first crop was champion handicap horse Nodouble, an outstanding runner who was voted American Co-Champion Older Male Horse honours in 1969 and 1970 and was the Leading sire in North America in 1981. Nodouble sired over 45 stakes winners that earned over $11.6 million during his career.

Noholme's son Nodouble was a tough, durable campaigner. he won handicap races from coast to coast, and was affectionately known as "The Arkansas Traveler." Never considered the height of fashion as a stallion, he nevertheless produced a steady stream of high class, durable performers. His son Overskate was a champion racehorse and good sire in Canada. Nodouble's daughter No Class produced six stakes winners, was named Broodmare of the Year in Canada, and became the matriarch of a family which boasts Sky Classic, Regal Classic, Grey Classic, Classy 'n Smart, Dance Smartly, Smart Strike, Dance Brightly, Dance With Ravens, Scatter the Gold, and Dancethruthedawn.

Noholme's has sired 279 winners of 1,432 races and his other offspring include:

Brigand, sire of Cole Diesel (won Caulfield Cup)

Carnauba, Premio Oaks d'Italia (Italian Oaks), champion Italian filly

Fools Holme, the 1986 South African Horse of the Year,

General Holme, European stakes-winner, significant sire in France.

Shecky Greene, the 1973 American Champion Sprint Horse and in a short career, he in turn sired Green Forest, the champion two-year-old of Europe in 1981, and a successful sire.

Todman and Noholme had two other full brothers, SHIFNAL, foaled in 1960, and FARINGDON, foaled in 1961. Shifnal was not as talented as his elder brothers on the racecourse. He did win four out of eight starts, but nothing of the importance or prestige won by his brothers. At stud, he sired seventeen stakes winners, but he was a champion sire of two-year-olds once. His daughter Jandell was named champion three-year-old filly in New Zealand and his son Sun Monarch was named a champion two-year-old in South Africa. Shifnal did well as a broodmare sire, his daughters producing Moss Kingdom, winner of the Adelaide and Perth Cups, Cure, winner of the New Zealand One Thousand Guineas; Regimental March, winner of the New Zealand St. Leger; and further Group I winners Navy Seal, Love to Dance, and Red Express.

FARINGDON won only three races, none of them stakes. At stud, he sired a like number of stakes winners, Navajo Brave, winner of the Tattersalls Stakes and Sabron, winner of the AJC June Stakes being his best.

Star Wolf, Sam Brosnan's horse was another who didn't enjoy much success from memory. Reading some of these earlier lists is just plain painful!!! Makes you wonder why one would ever consider breeding horses!! :) 

Smuggler was another disappointment of NBH's. Left one good filly from memory but not that I can remember what it was called.

Straussbrook left one very good 2yo in Batavian and Straussbridge out of a good mare Lady Appleton or something like that - but not too much else. Patrick Connell paraded him and Volksraad for me one day and I went for big bold Straussbrook, cause my mare was a little thing and I was scared I might get a squib by Volksraad.

Bad call, Lloyd! :)