RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Alphonse-Gabriel

If you could change something on Trackside?

that would make viewing and gambling better, what would it be? 

What annoys you most?

The venetian blinds blocking the screen have always been a pain in the arse to me. When the horses are behind the gates,I want to see the colours etc that will help me identify certain horses in the race. The blinds are so unnecessary and yet another example of the priorities being wrong. It's easy enough to run a ticker down the bottom of the screen showing prices that does not block your viewing. Viewers should have a clear uninterrupted view of every horse at the start.

My other pet hate is feeling compelled for my own sanity to mute the presenters inane non stop state the obvious drivel. These poor bastards have obviously been coached that silence is the enemy to be avoided at all costs. I'm one of those strange people who in the moments prior to jump put some importance on my own thoughts. I'd love it if the presenters would just shut the fark up in the last 30 seconds before the off. Silence is not the enemy. Embrace it. Let the tension and excitement of the race speak for it's self. We are not little kids in need of direction,especially from someone who has been in the game for about 1% of the time we have.   

For me it's the cutting away to another venue as soon as a race is run. Often you have to wait for quite a while for results to come up due to them consistently doing this. It's particularly annoying if there is a photo involved. 

Also entire cards of no TV races having betting on them. I understand there maybe a clash here and there but last week the entire Rockhampton greyhounds card was non TV races. Surely this kind of thing is just diluting other pools. 

Cameraman focussing on a breaking horse just after the start, whereas dont we want to watch all the horses begin???

They do it all the time, Flippen ridiculous!

3 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Cameraman focussing on a breaking horse just after the start, whereas dont we want to watch all the horses begin???

Shows how out of touch the directors employed by trackside are. Far to many closeups as well. You lose all continuity in the race. Trots are the worst. Was one of the reasons i gave up betting on them, it annoyed the hell out of me.

1 minute ago, aquaman said:

Shows how out of touch the directors employed by trackside are. Far to many closeups as well. You lose all continuity in the race. Trots are the worst. Was one of the reasons i gave up betting on them, it annoyed the hell out of me.

Dont give up betting harness as best sport available, just need cameraman to do a better job at the start.

No reason to focus on one galloping horse so we don't see the others.

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

On the score of cameraman. I find it cringe material that as soon as the winner crosses the line the camera switches to a shot of the connections in the grandstand kissing and hugging each other. I'm happy for them to have won but don't need to see pictures of it thrust in my face. What's the point of it? To show how wonderful racehorse ownership is? To show wannabe hobnobs winning yet another big race? 

If the cameraman is going to focus on a winner then please make it the one on the track and not the ones in the stand that have diddly to do with the horses performance. Happy to see jubilant trainers and or riders / drivers. They have contributed big time to what's unfolded and their smiles and jubilation would at least be appreciated and appropriate.  

For me it is the constant dribble from presenters, with the over-hype of pools (especially in this non-commingled era) and current prices being offered when there is a noticeable difference between the tote/fixed odds (they usually sort themselves out). A few weeks ago a dog was priced @ 4.20 fixed odds, and was 1.50 on the tote with a couple of minutes to go, the presenter talked it up and pretty much said get on it, great odds fixed - dog ran 4th, tote shut at above the 4.20 fixed price.

On 4/14/2016 at 10:51 AM, Alphonse-Gabriel said:

On the score of cameraman. I find it cringe material that as soon as the winner crosses the line the camera switches to a shot of the connections in the grandstand kissing and hugging each other. I'm happy for them to have won but don't need to see pictures of it thrust in my face. What's the point of it? To show how wonderful racehorse ownership is? To show wannabe hobnobs winning yet another big race? 

If the cameraman is going to focus on a winner then please make it the one on the track and not the ones in the stand that have diddly to do with the horses performance. Happy to see jubilant trainers and or riders / drivers. They have contributed big time to what's unfolded and their smiles and jubilation would at least be appreciated and appropriate.  

What an insular and if you don't mind somewhat ignorant view.

Without any owners you won't have trainers or jockeys as they are in reality employed by the owner. 

Many owners have been hands on in getting the horse to the trainer in the first place, from selecting the breeding, foaling, weaning and educating the horse. Trainers and jockeys get enough publicity and air time do they not, and more often than not interviewed pre-race and post race.

For most owners, wins are few and far between and the majority of horses don't win enough stake money to cover all the costs. When you horse wins it is a moment of pure elation and excitement and one of the reasons that gets these owners into a horse. For Trackside to spend 10-20 seconds capturing that excitement is great and some of the very best viewing is film of owners cheering their horses home. Some owners go years between wins.

Look it how a winning stake is divided up and the biggest portion by far goes to........owners, plus future breeding opportunities for black type winners is another bonus. Wanting to deny people the opportunity of seeing the excitement of winning owners etc would be a retrograde step indeed.  They deserve their brief glimpse of celebration on Trackside.       

3 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Without any owners you won't have trainers or jockeys as they are in reality employed by the owner. 

Many owners have been hands on in getting the horse to the trainer in the first place, from selecting the breeding, foaling, weaning and educating the horse. Trainers and jockeys get enough publicity and air time do they not, and more often than not interviewed pre-race and post race.

For most owners, wins are few and far between and the majority of horses don't win enough stake money to cover all the costs. When you horse wins it is a moment of pure elation and excitement and one of the reasons that gets these owners into a horse. For Trackside to spend 10-20 seconds capturing that excitement is great and some of the very best viewing is film of owners cheering their horses home. Some owners go years between wins.

Look it how a winning stake is divided up and the biggest portion by far goes to........owners, plus future breeding opportunities for black type winners is another bonus. Wanting to deny people the opportunity of seeing the excitement of winning owners etc would be a retrograde step indeed.  They deserve their brief glimpse of celebration on Trackside.       

Usual sanctimonious crap from the resident troll. Why do you feel compelled to be so incredibly boring? I know,you just can't help yourself. 

13 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Can always tell when the thoroughbred forum is quiet. You extend your trolling to the harness forum. What a true hero you really are. I'm glad your life now has meaning.

So winning owners kissing and congratulating each other is the paramount and most relevant feature Trackside should focus on at the crucial moment of a race. I disagree. Yes there are owners that are hands on and have been there since before the horse was even born but they would be the exception. I've had numerous horses over the years with three trainers in particular. All three trainers describe the perfect owner to me. One who pay's their bills and just stands back and gives the trainer licence to do whatever they see fit with the horse.

There are numerous important players involved in horse racing. The horse first and foremost. Obviously the trainer and driver / rider are crucial. Punters are enormously important. Without them the game would grind to a halt very quickly. Owners are also important as the people behind the scenes paying the bills on the betting product. If we are going to focus on one part of this group alone and ignore the other's we are not doing a service to all involved. I recall seeing Geoff Small jubilantly punching the air toward David Butcher who was saluting him after Elsu had won the 2005 Interdominion Final at Alexandra Park, The camera didn't have to move or change focus and target as Geoff was standing by the rail 50 meters after the finishing line. It was a huge spontaneous moment that anyone who witnessed would have enjoyed despite Geoff not being seen in a good light by many people.

Then we see other owners. Chances are they have done nothing except pay the bills and look for an outfit to wear on raceday. Horse wins and camera immediately focuses in on them kissing and congratulating each other like they have just personally won their fourth gold medal at the Olympics etc etc. It's serious cringe. Camera is not focusing in on the trainer who's just had months of sleepless nights end with a fantastic win or a punter who just won a life changing amount of money on the race. The focus is the owner at that all important moment. The balance and bias is wrong.

Happy to admit the long drawn out kissing and hugging of K.F.E the camera's so acutely and repeatedly focused on after Xtravagant and others won at Riccarton was serious cringe. It was as if she was the only person on course that day and the only reason for the horses success's. Fingernails down a blackboard for many.

Alphonse, you are of course entitled to your opinion.

I have no problem with have the camera on winning owners enjoying the moment.

Whether it be a low stake or the N Z cup.

We need more owners and showing the enjoyment they can get from winning is one step in the right direction.

At the end of the day they have shelved out massive money to have their day in the sun.

It doesn't happen that often does it?

You are a joke Jimmy!!

So owners should just pay the bills, shut up and never be seen according to you.

Perhaps you should have chosen you trainers a bit better. Consultation and agreement goes a long way and don't forget it is the owner who is employing the trainer. Trainer's are not God and don't always get it right. Many times an owner has wanted a horse to line up in a black type race that the trainer hadn't targeted and the horse has won. Many times it hasn't either. But as I said it is more about consultation and input from both parties. How many times have you heard a trainer when asked about what is happening with a horse after it has won has replied, "I'm not sure, I will sit down with the owners in the next couple of days and discuss." Gosh, what a sensible thing to do.

You really do have a fixation with Karyn don't you. From what she wears, to her make up and now being focused at the races. You really do need to get a life.

Oh, by the way the punters that just have a had a big collect on the race are quite often the winning owners, therefore Trackside are killing two birds with one stone so to speak. I fail to see how a quick ten-twenty second flick to jubilant owners affects coverage of the horse, trainer or jockey. They get the primary focus, as previously explained do they not.

Your attitude towards a brief cameo of owners is nothing more than churlish. 

15 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Priceless, Thank You.

11 hours ago, kakama said:

I like the celebration after the race. These horse owners spend all the dish in trainers bills, they deserve a moment of glory! Probably about the only positive most race days, must be hard to get excited over a $6k race!

totally agree with you kakama. I trained my only winner at a lowly Tuesday meeting at addington some years ago. I was also the owner. I have the photo, the video of the prerace race discussion and the birdcage after the race. Have owned a few more winners since and still try and get the pre race discussion and any birdcage stuff. Proud moments that I can reflect on. Im never going to own or win a group race but my involvement is about a love of the sport. Its got too expensive to keep going even training my own is a money draining exercise but I can look back on the best feeling, so it wasn't the derby or the NZ cup but it was a win.  Most exciting thing in racing,  

On 4/17/2016 at 9:41 AM, rdytdy said:

You are a joke Jimmy!!

So owners should just pay the bills, shut up and never be seen according to you.

Perhaps you should have chosen you trainers a bit better. Consultation and agreement goes a long way and don't forget it is the owner who is employing the trainer. Trainer's are not God and don't always get it right. Many times an owner has wanted a horse to line up in a black type race that the trainer hadn't targeted and the horse has won. Many times it hasn't either. But as I said it is more about consultation and input from both parties. How many times have you heard a trainer when asked about what is happening with a horse after it has won has replied, "I'm not sure, I will sit down with the owners in the next couple of days and discuss." Gosh, what a sensible thing to do.

You really do have a fixation with Karyn don't you. From what she wears, to her make up and now being focused at the races. You really do need to get a life.

Oh, by the way the punters that just have a had a big collect on the race are quite often the winning owners, therefore Trackside are killing two birds with one stone so to speak. I fail to see how a quick ten-twenty second flick to jubilant owners affects coverage of the horse, trainer or jockey. They get the primary focus, as previously explained do they not.

Your attitude towards a brief cameo of owners is nothing more than churlish. 

You may be right Ted. If you throw enough darts at a dartboard sooner or later you will get one in the bulls eye. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Would much rather be a joke than a stalking troll desperate to find meaning to his pointless existence.

As for K.F.E. Nice lady but is not the goddess of NZ racing that you infatuate her to be. Mind you some little men out there are inspired by anything larger than a B Cup.

When was the last time you went outside your house? You really do need to find a life. I feel so sorry for your wife. Please pass on my sympathies.

Jimmy Smith.

7 minutes ago, Alphonse-Gabriel said:

You may be right Ted. If you throw enough darts at a dartboard sooner or later you will get one in the bulls eye. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Would much rather be a joke than a stalking troll desperate to find meaning to his pointless existence.

As for K.F.E. Nice lady but is not the goddess of NZ racing that you infatuate her to be. Mind you some little men out there are inspired by anything larger than a B Cup.

When was the last time you went outside your house? You really do need to find a life. I feel so sorry for your wife. Please pass on my sympathies.

Jimmy Smith.

Yawn!! 

15 hours ago, kakama said:

I like the celebration after the race. These horse owners spend all the dish in trainers bills, they deserve a moment of glory! Probably about the only positive most race days, must be hard to get excited over a $6k race!

I'm stoked to see happy owners. I also enjoy seeing happy trainers,happy riders / drivers and happy punters along of course with superb horse flesh. They are all important.

What I don't enjoy especially as they hit the finish line is one group of hobknob people who have almost certainly contributed to the win in no way apart from paying the bills being the focus. Should we share the same focus and adoration for everyone else out there who pay their bills? I'd prefer the focus be on the horse,driver/rider and trainer. They are the ones who's actions bought about the success and in my not so humble opinion the one's most deserving of congratulations. Winning a race is very satisfying for all concerned,not just one part of the picture.

This thread was about what we'd personally like to change on Trackside to make it more enjoyable. It matters not one jot who's right. As we all know there is nobody in the industry that takes this site seriously anyway. You don't have to agree with my perspective and I don't need to agree with yours.

On 4/17/2016 at 7:29 AM, Alphonse-Gabriel said:

Can always tell when the thoroughbred forum is quiet. You extend your trolling to the harness forum. What a true hero you really are. I'm glad your life now has meaning.

So winning owners kissing and congratulating each other is the paramount and most relevant feature Trackside should focus on at the crucial moment of a race. I disagree. Yes there are owners that are hands on and have been there since before the horse was even born but they would be the exception. I've had numerous horses over the years with three trainers in particular. All three trainers describe the perfect owner to me. One who pay's their bills and just stands back and gives the trainer licence to do whatever they see fit with the horse.

There are numerous important players involved in horse racing. The horse first and foremost. Obviously the trainer and driver / rider are crucial. Punters are enormously important. Without them the game would grind to a halt very quickly. Owners are also important as the people behind the scenes paying the bills on the betting product. If we are going to focus on one part of this group alone and ignore the other's we are not doing a service to all involved. I recall seeing Geoff Small jubilantly punching the air toward David Butcher who was saluting him after Elsu had won the 2005 Interdominion Final at Alexandra Park, The camera didn't have to move or change focus and target as Geoff was standing by the rail 50 meters after the finishing line. It was a huge spontaneous moment that anyone who witnessed would have enjoyed despite Geoff not being seen in a good light by many people.

Then we see other owners. Chances are they have done nothing except pay the bills and look for an outfit to wear on raceday. Horse wins and camera immediately focuses in on them kissing and congratulating each other like they have just personally won their fourth gold medal at the Olympics etc etc. It's serious cringe. Camera is not focusing in on the trainer who's just had months of sleepless nights end with a fantastic win or a punter who just won a life changing amount of money on the race. The focus is the owner at that all important moment. The balance and bias is wrong.

Happy to admit the long drawn out kissing and hugging of K.F.E the camera's so acutely and repeatedly focused on after Xtravagant and others won at Riccarton was serious cringe. It was as if she was the only person on course that day and the only reason for the horses success's. Fingernails down a blackboard for many.

Oh thats not a nice thing to say,i think she's lovely and such a snazzy dresser.