RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Jon Trum

Cassie Fahey

She has a love affair with the word 'Bounce' I don't understand why it is used and used and used, has she had training from BP? maybe in the context of this dog has won 3 races on the 'Bounce' yes I agree it can be used there but Cassie is thrashing it every time she is on! and Parimutuel??? aren't we the T.A.B in NZ not P.A.B. again maybe borrowed from BP. anyway sorry for moaning on a Monday.

Yup that's all she's got.  Reads out the 'fixed' and 'parimutuel' odds, tells you what the commentators picks are, how long it is to the 'bounce', constantly repeats how much the guaranteed First 4's are worth and which two Australian gallops meeting have the 10 k Terminating Quaddie going and how it is 'well worth getting involved'.

Offers no opinions of her own and appears to know nothing about the form of any dog running.  Best thing unless you have a dog you really want to see running, is just to turn it off and go and do something else.  Only Jayne Ivil is worse to listen to, as she talks to her audience as if they were pre school children.

I used to like watching when Craig Roberts was doing the presenting.

13 hours ago, Jape said:

One or two Aussie presenters are also keen on referring to the parimutuel.

Yes they do Jape, but at least there is a difference there between the tote and bookmakers, unlike here where the wannabe bookmakers are just clones of the TAB. You can see this presenter is parroting clich'es  she has gleaned from Aussie commentators, it sounds so false. They should adopt their own personal style instead of coping other presenters, especially Aussie ones that no their subject.

Tough crowd guys - it's easy to fall into the trap of adopting a pet phrase or two - we all do it even in daily speech or what we write. Even harder when you spend 4 or 5 hours continually speaking between races which are going off every few minutes.

And they can't be experts across all codes - if you don't know much about any one of the codes it is probably best to limit your opinions - rather than say silly things. Of course you need to continue to try and learn as well.

I reckon Cassie is a good presenter - young and still improving of course. Greyhounds probably not her favourite code - but then harness or gallops probably not Liz's eh?

Spot on Aqua. Why we need these so called "presenters" is a mystery...particularly females who look and talk like they should be at a pre school somewhere....

Watch the Aussie racing late at night, music background, visuals tell you all you need to know.....bliss.

Can someone tell me why the judge at the Chch Greyhounds gets so much air time on Trackside yet every other judge at every other greyhound track in NZ is never heard. What's more this bloke seems to find it necessary to talk about all sorts of irrelevant things during his air time. Seriously it's put me off ever having a bet at Addington again. Why not just put the numbers on the semaphore board? In my opinion he loves the sound of his own voice. 

Cassie Fahey was poor when she started. Would routinely get the race callers in W.A mixed up with the callers in Queensland. I heard her give a pointless cue card preview for the wrong race. Two of the numbers she tipped for the upcoming race were actually scratched. Yes,she has improved since then but certainly needed to. I wish someone would pull her aside and tell her that rolling up her sleeves and flicking her pen does not equate to a woman who really knows her stuff despite what another female presenter believes. If she is a good horse racing and gambling presenter then we have set the bar very low.

I don't understand the high praise Elizabeth receives. Yes,she is easy on the eye and does a great job with the dogs which is obviously her passion. The rest is awful in my opinion. She is another who believes non stop monotone monologue where you don't ever come up for air is going to encourage me to listen and or bet. It has the obvious effect and only hurts my ears. I can't believe that on a NZ television channel, horse racing or otherwise it is acceptable to butcher the English language the way she constantly does. Nowhere in the world have I ever heard a presenter so strongly emphasis the second syllable of a word. It's cringe-worthy but apparently now totally acceptable to the point other presenters are actually copying her.

Listen to her use the word "today". It is now "to-DAY"  

First to acknowledge it's not easy to know chapter and verse about every runner in every race you present but surely that is what you're paid for? Stating the obvious that punters would already know anyway helps nobody. I'm also not a big fan of Marc Cookson but he can at least add some info to the picture albeit perfunctory.

9 hours ago, SMD is rife said:

Can someone tell me why the judge at the Chch Greyhounds gets so much air time on Trackside yet every other judge at every other greyhound track in NZ is never heard. What's more this bloke seems to find it necessary to talk about all sorts of irrelevant things during his air time. Seriously it's put me off ever having a bet at Addington again. Why not just put the numbers on the semaphore board? In my opinion he loves the sound of his own voice. 

Nothing wrong with judge at addington. Yes some people dont like it but i really enjoy info an splits, dont get if often anywhere else.

3 hours ago, lad27 said:

Nothing wrong with judge at addington. Yes some people dont like it but i really enjoy info an splits, dont get if often anywhere else.

Exactly, he is very well spoken and concise. No pleasing some peopke- may as well get rid of all presenters, judges, commentators and make everything self service like the pub TAB machines.....press here to watch Race 3 at Manukau......press here for result of Race 2 at Manukau.....press here for replay......

19 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Exactly, he is very well spoken and concise. No pleasing some peopke- may as well get rid of all presenters, judges, commentators and make everything self service like the pub TAB machines.....press here to watch Race 3 at Manukau......press here for result of Race 2 at Manukau.....press here for replay......

Now thats the best idea ever. I for one would not miss presenters one little bit. .Trackside could become a lean machine, just beam out the pictures with commentary. Why do we need talking heads. All the savings can be funneled back to the industry in the form of infrastructure and stakes. Have said this for years. Agree completely with you DC9.

17 hours ago, SMD is rife said:

Good call SMD - one of my pet peeves this. Any judges call which is twice as long as the race is clearly OTT. And he does seem to want to continually evolve his patter to include more and more things to say.

I wonder why gallops judges dont run through the enitre field back to last placing??