RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
WhoKnows

Auckland Racing Series

I really feel for the future of racing in Auckland and Waikato if the dogs that are going around today in the Racing Series heats, they really are awful.

There is no doubt that this is the weakest area by a fair way now apart from the Walsh and Schofield dogs and maybe Mullane coming through, if the dogs today are the up and comers then Auckalnd will again be struggling to fill fields anytime soon, if you can't train winners up this way then it s really time to give up.

I'm not bagging the series, its a necessity to give the NZ breeders a chance to get a bit of decent money back, I was more highlighting the lack of depth up here in the north, you see the same small group of average dogs going around week after week after week.

If any half decent soda from the South or C.D had come up they would have bolted in.

6 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

I really feel for the future of racing in Auckland and Waikato if the dogs that are going around today in the Racing Series heats, they really are awful.

There is no doubt that this is the weakest area by a fair way now apart from the Walsh and Schofield dogs and maybe Mullane coming through, if the dogs today are the up and comers then Auckalnd will again be struggling to fill fields anytime soon, if you can't train winners up this way then it s really time to give up.

No bagging here lol B) :D

20 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

What an insult to the likes of the Craiks and Clark and others who have consistently produced dogs that are competitive at all levels

1 hour ago, GOM said:

What an insult to the likes of the Craiks and Clark and others who have consistently produced dogs that are competitive at all levels

It's not an insult at all, they have in the past been one of the leading trainers in the north and fantastic people to go with it, but they obviously are winding things down with no young dogs apparently coming through, Clark doesnt seem to have much coming through either, it's just a reflection on how things are up here at the moment, sad but true.

23 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Initially i thought id refrain from posting on this topic as I have bred and have a share in one of those awful dogs running around in the heats, but in the end i couldnt help myself.

Our awful dog has won over $36,000, not a bad effort I would have thought for a dog that hasnt won a c5 race or been placed in a group race. In your opinion she is awful, thats ok, she doesnt care, she probably doesnt think very highly of you. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and as the saying goes opinions are like ars....s,  clearly yours is bigger than most.

The quality of the NZRS races in the lowest grade usually comes down to timing, the reason for this is any dog with ability gets out of c0-c1 pretty quickly, particulary now given the additional racing opportunities that exist. If you took the time to talk to some of the breeders out there in the north you would realise that a few of them for one reason or another have had some poor producing years and as such have few young dogs coming through.

The race series is simply a snapshot of that grade nz bred right now, in 3 months it will be different, in 6 months it will be different again.

2 hours ago, GONSTA said:

You said on here not long ago you have stopped breeding. Maybe 1 litter a year. 

True and that is what we intend to do , but as bryan has just quoted there is a lot still to come....

1 hour ago, ownagreyhound.co.nz said:

Initially i thought id refrain from posting on this topic as I have bred and have a share in one of those awful dogs running around in the heats, but in the end i couldnt help myself.

Our awful dog has won over $36,000, not a bad effort I would have thought for a dog that hasnt won a c5 race or been placed in a group race. In your opinion she is awful, thats ok, she doesnt care, she probably doesnt think very highly of you. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and as the saying goes opinions are like ars....s,  clearly yours is bigger than most.

The quality of the NZRS races in the lowest grade usually comes down to timing, the reason for this is any dog with ability gets out of c0-c1 pretty quickly, particulary now given the additional racing opportunities that exist. If you took the time to talk to some of the breeders out there in the north you would realise that a few of them for one reason or another have had some poor producing years and as such have few young dogs coming through.

The race series is simply a snapshot of that grade nz bred right now, in 3 months it will be different, in 6 months it will be different again.

Yes Adam your bitch has been a great wee dog, but the fact that a rising 5 year old went out and won showed how much depth there was in the series, and I wish you the best of luck in the final, there is no need to be so defensive.

But take off your blinkers for a moment and admit that it was a very poor couple of heats you got for the series and it doesn't say much about the depth of young dogs coming through in the north at the moment.

For the sake of the future of racing up here I hope there are some good young dogs coming through and hopefully they are successful for their breeders, it's not a cheap exercise and we have to promote breeding.

Someone will get a decent cheque this week and well deserved, but realise at the same time be thankful no one from other areas came up to compete with decent opposition.

23 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Yes Adam your bitch has been a great wee dog, but the fact that a rising 5 year old went out and won showed how much depth there was in the series, and I wish you the best of luck in the final, there is no need to be so defensive.

But take off your blinkers for a moment and admit that it was a very poor couple of heats you got for the series and it doesn't say much about the depth of young dogs coming through in the north at the moment.

For the sake of the future of racing up here I hope there are some good young dogs coming through and hopefully they are successful for their breeders, it's not a cheap exercise and we have to promote breeding.

Someone will get a decent cheque this week and well deserved, but realise at the same time be thankful no one from other areas came up to compete with decent opposition.

With respect Who knows, I don't know who you are, and you know me by name only, because if you actually knew me you would realise i'm not being defensive at all, simply providing some balance.

I note in your response to my post you make mention of a lack of depth at the moment, and I agree entirely, there is a lack of depth at the moment with young dogs but as I said that is a reflection of the current dog stocks, nz bred and at that grade in the north. Im not aware of anything better in the CD,  but expect that there were some handy dogs in the south island but they chose not to travel.

If i was about to get into greyhound ownership in the north and knew little about the industry and read your opening post on this topic, i'd run a mile...

In closing Who Knows, Debate and discussion is great on these forums, and that's what they are all about, but balance is important otherwise they just become white noise " - a meaningless distraction"

On 10/04/2016 at 6:08 AM, WhoKnows said:

Rather insulting to all those racing.  Do you know every single dog racing?  Do you know who is potentially injured or in season at the moment?  Do you know the entire breeding plans of every trainer, what litters they have on the ground? How they are breaking in, how far away they are from racing? Moreso, do you know their entire racing plans, what races the trainer aims to win, what series they want to enter and which ones they don't? Of the trainers you mentioned only one had a runner in these heats and deservedly won, but how can you compare the others when they didn't even have a dog running in these heats?

As someone mentioned earlier - a snapshot of a moment in time.  Things change - fast.  People make racing choices for whatever reason for their dogs - that doesn't mean the entire future is in wreck and ruin.

Do you also realise the impact reading your comments may have for the owners and trainers of the dogs?  You have clearly labelled every single runner as below par and to give up.  These people are the lifeblood of our industry. For you to belittle their input so easily and halfheartedly is unfair.  We should be thankful they are here without them all of us may not be here at all.  Not every heat, not every race is going to be representative of what is on offer at the moment and certainly every race does not have a worldbeater - not every dog can be.  That is why we stand and applaud those who stand out during a season.

Congratulations to everyone involved with every single runner in those heats - for being there and supporting our sport - stand tall and proud.  All the very best to those in the final.  I for one will sing your praises. 

Sometimes it's not an easy road, but the road gets somewhat more difficult when you have to deal with square wheels. 

6 hours ago, ChasingMyTail said:

Rather insulting to all those racing.  Do you know every single dog racing?  Do you know who is potentially injured or in season at the moment?  Do you know the entire breeding plans of every trainer, what litters they have on the ground? How they are breaking in, how far away they are from racing? Moreso, do you know their entire racing plans, what races the trainer aims to win, what series they want to enter and which ones they don't? Of the trainers you mentioned only one had a runner in these heats and deservedly won, but how can you compare the others when they didn't even have a dog running in these heats?

As someone mentioned earlier - a snapshot of a moment in time.  Things change - fast.  People make racing choices for whatever reason for their dogs - that doesn't mean the entire future is in wreck and ruin.

Do you also realise the impact reading your comments may have for the owners and trainers of the dogs?  You have clearly labelled every single runner as below par and to give up.  These people are the lifeblood of our industry. For you to belittle their input so easily and halfheartedly is unfair.  We should be thankful they are here without them all of us may not be here at all.  Not every heat, not every race is going to be representative of what is on offer at the moment and certainly every race does not have a worldbeater - not every dog can be.  That is why we stand and applaud those who stand out during a season.

Congratulations to everyone involved with every single runner in those heats - for being there and supporting our sport - stand tall and proud.  All the very best to those in the final.  I for one will sing your praises. 

Sometimes it's not an easy road, but the road gets somewhat more difficult when you have to deal with square wheels. 

Well said ....lets look at the positives , there were two extra 500mtr races on the card that would not have been there....

16 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Ownagreyhound I have never seen him post anything on any of the forums here that is positive...he is one of the if not the most negative poster whether its attacking jockeys for their rides, tracks or dogs its seems to make him happy.

Its a shame that people aren't made to give their names when registering and it be put on their profile.I think that would cut out a lot of the negativity and snide remarks.

My parents taught me if you cant say something and stand up for what you said don't say it at all.Too many people hiding behind non de plumes.

AC

Jesus, some people are so precious.

Peter Fenemor said on the radio today that the heats were very average in terms of quality, how about you get stuck into him next?

If you really think those heats were full of up and comers you are deluding yourselves.

I do understand they can only race what nominations they get, I was just trying to make the point that if that was a reflection of the dogs coming through in the north then things look dire, and I stick by that, but I am also hopeful some good young dogs will be seen soon.

3 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Peter Fenemor said on the radio today that the heats were very average in terms of quality, how about you get stuck into him next?

If you really think those heats were full of up and comers you are deluding yourselves.

I do understand they can only race what nominations they get, I was just trying to make the point that if that was a reflection of the dogs coming through in the north then things look dire, and I stick by that, but I am also hopeful some good young dogs will be seen soon.

7 minutes ago, Sairy said:

I geuss Elizabeth Whelan and Peter Early are next on your hit list after Peter Fenemor

Tell me when and where they have mentioned participants should "give up"  

How about balancing.  Negative with Positive.  

Who Knows - your last line is just that - it's all that's needed. Thank you.

5 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

I don't like replying to people who don't have their name to their post.However I agree with you that the quality of dogs in NZ is just fair.The problem is a lot of breeders don't have the facilities to rear litters,or the time to put into them,or the use of top breaking in facilities.The fact that we have frozen semen available is a great help but we need to select the right bitches and use the right semen and then rear them professionaly to ensure we have a product worthy for the future.

AC