RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Steve Donovan

Aussie theft and Fraud -Schofield Callendar and Prior

https://www.punters.com.au/news/Lil-Caesar%3A-A-tale-of-treachery-and-intrigue_144268/

So it looks as if not only were the owners rorted at the start, paying 100k for a horse passed in at about 15k. They then get ripped off by another 60k, when the horse was sold to HK!

Are we naive enough to believe that this isn't happening here? 

Guest 2Admin2

It easily won a barrier trial four days ago.  Looking at the changes in its race weights it looks like it might be a late maturer.  Which isn't the norm for a Holy Roman Emperor.

I suspect this happens all the time.

I know people who have had horses sold without their knowledge, been paid many months later, had offers made to trainers or syndicate managers which were never communicated etc etc etc.

Having said that this transaction does take things to another level...! 

Sadly that is what people do, it is called greed and I won't get caught. slap on the hand for something that is a crime in the real world. No charges for Waller, they must think he is Jesus.

If it was Cobalt then we have a serious matter but fraud and other criminal actives isn't so bad. These people are still able to sell horses go about there business, incredible they should be banned from the sport for good.

25 minutes ago, bestbets said:

Sadly that is what people do, it is called greed and I won't get caught. slap on the hand for something that is a crime in the real world. No charges for Waller, they must think he is Jesus.

If it was Cobalt then we have a serious matter but fraud and other criminal actives isn't so bad. These people are still able to sell horses go about there business, incredible they should be banned from the sport for good.

Not that I am defending Waller but it is entirely possible he knew nothing about the rort.  I imagine he is not too interested in carrying horses with limited futures(or so he clearly thought) and surely he would not have risked his incredible business for a $20000 or so profit?

There has always been a 10% unwritten agreement I guess for a better word that a trainer normally, not always gets paid when a horse is sold from his yard, there was just a few more than the normal 10%'s here.... but these days it is not if but when you will get found out. Whats the old saying a rorts only a rort if your not involved...:unsure:

Edited by scooby3051
spelling

Like the industry needs anything like this!! - we should be welcoming people to the sport of kings not ripping the people who pay the bills (the  owners) off.

Absolutely disgusting act on all concerned.!!

16 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

There has always been a 10% unwritten agreement I guess for a better word that a trainer normally, not always gets paid when a horse is sold from his yard, there was just a few more than the normal 10%'s here.... but these days it is not if but when you will get found out. Whats the old saying a rorts only a rort if your not involved...:unsure:

Yes sorry I was aware of that(trainers 10%) but the $20,000 I mentioned would be a one third share of $60,000 difference between the price the owners were told and the price the horse actually sold for(that Callender and rior presumably shared).  Coincidence that equates to that same amount

This rorting of owners has been happening in New Zealand for years and years as well. It was even happening when I was working in the industry 20 years ago. Funny how in horse racing circles it's never seen for exactly what it is - a legitimate crime. If someone ripped off WINZ to the tune of $60,000 there would be a criminal conviction and the culprit would get a jail term. Maybe in the racing industry, because of the easy-come-easy-go nature of money, it waters down the seriousness, which of course is wrong.

It's the nature of the beast Cunnamulla, although there are many honest, diligent trainers unfortunately there are just as many shonks to boot......they ruin it for the honest buggers, you'd be surprised though if you knew some of the big names of the past that pushed the envelope......it's no real secret though to most racing insiders. The problem here in NZ is that those at bottom of the pool so to speak are treading water while the fat cats get fatter, not due to prize money, but due to trading and 'placing'........kind of like the trading room at Lloyds.........we are seeing across the ditch at Inglis sales how much the breeders are relying on Asian money......there are a few yanks now in as new blood, so new owners are good, also they leave the horses with Oz trainers, not so much the Asians, but it's them and only them that make the sales look FAB......otherwise, kapowie....blowout.....imagine Karaka without China Horse Club?......HKJC?.......so what I'm alluding to, is, scandal and innuendo within our industry has flow on effects that can bring us all down, in one way or another....IMO.

14 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Not that I am defending Waller but it is entirely possible he knew nothing about the rort.  I imagine he is not too interested in carrying horses with limited futures(or so he clearly thought) and surely he would not have risked his incredible business for a $20000 or so profit?

I totally agreed and also agreed that P Moody and O'Sullivan and other trainers would not risk there whole livelihoods and business to try and get a winner with Cobalt

On the basis that that LWR bloke(Ken Anderson in this mornings news) defrauded $100 million and ultimately spent only two years in jail these blokes at say a $120,000 rip off could expect to be out by morning tea could they not?

You would get worse for driving without your seat belt on or with one beer too many(and certainly much more attention from the NZ Police)

These guys essentially abused a position of trust, so may have been treated more harshly than you may think. But, I understand that those defrauded were recompensed and were happy with that. 

The "celebrated" NZ trainer whom we all probably know, lets call him/her Voldermort, is famous for such schemes, but appears to have gotten away with it for years and continues to be held up as  some kind of role model! 

Scoob

Not much really. Always thought they were an odd Couple  . What do you think? 

Odd couples can work  . TJ Smith and George Moore a good example within racing  . Hesi and Yorkie  Hesi and LM. The last two to be confirmed as they are in the embryonic stage at present