RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GONSTA

Harriet of mot positives

2 hours ago, GONSTA said:

Use in horses and other animals[edit]

Ketoprofen is a common NSAID, antipyretic, and analgesic used in horses and other equines. It is most commonly used for musculoskeletal pain, joint problems, and soft tissue injury, as well as laminitis. It is also used to control fevers and prevent endotoxemia. It is also used as a mild painkiller in smaller animals, generally following surgical procedures.

In horses, it is given at a dose of 2.2mg/kg/day. Studies have shown that it does not inhibit 5-lipoxygenase and leukotriene B4, as originally claimed. It is therefore not considered superior to phenylbutazone as previously believed, although clinical signs of lameness are reduced with its use. In fact, phenylbutazone was shown superior to ketoprofen in cases of experimentally-induced synovitis when both drugs were used at labeled dosages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoprofen

Just now, Thejanitor said:

Use in horses and other animals[edit]

Ketoprofen is a common NSAID, antipyretic, and analgesic used in horses and other equines. It is most commonly used for musculoskeletal pain, joint problems, and soft tissue injury, as well as laminitis. It is also used to control fevers and prevent endotoxemia. It is also used as a mild painkiller in smaller animals, generally following surgical procedures.

In horses, it is given at a dose of 2.2mg/kg/day. Studies have shown that it does not inhibit 5-lipoxygenase and leukotriene B4, as originally claimed. It is therefore not considered superior to phenylbutazone as previously believed, although clinical signs of lameness are reduced with its use. In fact, phenylbutazone was shown superior to ketoprofen in cases of experimentally-induced synovitis when both drugs were used at labeled dosages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoprofen

I did a little research on the drug after I read the jca report... Why would you use the drug after a race / hard run as the trainers claimed? Interesting they had one labeled 'John Dunn' as well. 

8 minutes ago, GONSTA said:

I did a little research on the drug after I read the jca report... Why would you use the drug after a race / hard run as the trainers claimed? Interesting they had one labeled 'John Dunn' as well. 

The Wikipedia item says the drug is used for joint problems, so perhaps Harriet has unsoundness issues? I guess the drug has some sort of anti-inflammatory, pain-killing effect on sore muscles and joints? I'm sure horses are stiff and sore the next day after a hard run. I know I am today after a 16km run on Sunday morning, I rubbed Deep Heat on my tight hamstrings but perhaps instead I should use some of this ketoprofen? :) 

It doesn't appear that the drug has any performance enhancing qualities. The bottle labelled "John Dunn' was not explained, but isn't Aimee his wife/partner? Perhaps they share medications?

It appears to me that this was a case of carelessness on the part of the Edmonds but it is not a good look especially considering the horse has a high profile.

10 minutes ago, Thejanitor said:

The Wikipedia item says the drug is used for joint problems, so perhaps Harriet has unsoundness issues? I guess the drug has some sort of anti-inflammatory, pain-killing effect on sore muscles and joints? I'm sure horses are stiff and sore the next day after a hard run. I know I am today after a 16km run on Sunday morning, I rubbed Deep Heat on my tight hamstrings but perhaps instead I should use some of this ketoprofen? :) 

It doesn't appear that the drug has any performance enhancing qualities. The bottle labelled "John Dunn' was not explained, but isn't Aimee his wife/partner? Perhaps they share medications?

It appears to me that this was a case of carelessness on the part of the Edmonds but it is not a good look especially considering the horse has a high profile.

Depends if you consider a pain killing drug to be performance enhancing or not. At the right doses surely it has to be considered one.

I don't know why but the JCA report left a sour taste in my mouth, hence why I'm interested to hear other people's opinions. Thanks Janitor!

4 minutes ago, GONSTA said:

Depends if you consider a pain killing drug to be performance enhancing or not. At the right doses surely it has to be considered one.

I don't know why but the JCA report left a sour taste in my mouth, hence why I'm interested to hear other people's opinions. Thanks Janitor!

What about it left the sour taste Gonsta?

Once again everyone is jumping to half-baked conclusions, based on half-baked knowledge.

Ketoprofen has been used as a treatment for tying-up for the past 30 years or more. Mares are prone to tying-up, particularly after a hard run, but you can't use it in the days leading up to a race any longer, so the next best usage is immediately after a race, to counteract the muscular discomfort of tying-up.

No performance enhancing benefits post race - simply a post race recovery agent.

The pre-race detection is a bit of a mystery, but it's use as a post race treatment is a very common.

3 minutes ago, JackSprat said:

Once again everyone is jumping to half-baked conclusions, based on half-baked knowledge.

Ketoprofen has been used as a treatment for tying-up for the past 30 years or more. Mares are prone to tying-up, particularly after a hard run, but you can't use it in the days leading up to a race any longer, so the next best usage is immediately after a race, to counteract the muscular discomfort of tying-up.

No performance enhancing benefits post race - simply a post race recovery agent.

The pre-race detection is a bit of a mystery, but it's use as a post race treatment is a very common.

Thanks Jack. I don't think there is anything sinister in this but it is not a good look. The Edmonds have been careless and this is a reminder to all trainers to keep medications in locked cupboards, keep adequate dosage records and have all medications corrected labelled.  

All the best 

19 minutes ago, gazza123 said:

there are no drug levels provided in the report so its hard to tell wether horse knocked bottle over twice and licked it or wether there was deliberate human involvement

I can't tell if this is a serious comment. Surely not. "knocked the bottle over" ??

kakama...

On this occasion, the form of the horse in question, Harriet Of Mot, did not change from prior to, then during, and then, subsequent, to this episode.

Whatever this mare shows tonight, it is highly likely that the best is yet to come. HOM's dam, Harriet Hughes, was much more talented that her race record reveals, HOM's granddam Eilish Mac has proven to be an outstanding broodmare (her son Earl Of Mot, surprisingly, by Earl) at one stage held the Australasian race mile record, while HOM's fifth dam, Kimmer, was the dam of every sane trotting follower's darling mare Tussle. Age does not weary this family. Harriet Of Mot herself has been racing for less than a year and has come a long way in a short time, especially so given that she is a square-gaiter.

All the best.

Ashoka

Disclosure: I have previously had an interest in horses trained by Craig Edmonds and am better for the experience. I would most enthusiastically have more horses trained by Craig and his family in times to come if fortune decides to favour me.

Ketoprofen  is a painkiller and not performance enhancing, trainers use it after a race if the horses has any little issues, like tie up, fetlock and knee issues etc. It used to have a 3 day stand down but it has now increased to 4 days, if you use it after a race you would have to get your timing dead right if you use it prerace especially if there is only a week between races. After Friday nights performance and some of her races leading up to the 2 wins you would have to think the mare has some soreness issues, they would have been nervous of over stepping mark again a $9000 fine would do that and they would have been facing a suspension. The trainers are decent people and very good trainers, but when you train for other people like large syndicates there is always pressure to keep the horse racing. They will get it back to its best.  

I am the breeder and owner of the mare who leasses her to the Go Harness Syndicate.

I can assure you from my first hand experience that the trainers who I have been with for over 30 years have never had pressure applied to keep the horse racing. He is above that.

Craig plans her program which if you reflect has been well spaced.

She has come from club rugby to All Black level in one season and will continue to show the untapped potential and speed she has.

3 hours ago, kakama said:

I see this horse finished well back yesterday. I didn't see the race, any excuses?

Never had a run as she was knocked out of the race, from stewards report:

Race 5 LONE STAR RICCARTON SIRES STAKES AGED TROTTERS CLASSIC (HCP)Video  Video 
GREAT THINGS HAPPEN was slowly away at the start. 
ALL LIT UP broke at the start and when in a break shifted inwards forcing ZACHARY BINX inwards onto HARRIET OF MOT resulting in the latter two runners locking sulky wheels with both horses being checked badly and losing all chance. VALMAGNE also broke when taking evasive action around these runners. 
A warning was placed on the standing start manners of ALL LIT UP
Driver G Smith reported that GREAT THINGS HAPPEN trotted roughly rounding the final bend. 

The time she ran last week for second last week would have been a fillies and mares record had she won. This was her first run for five weeks after breaking and taking no part a week earlier. Nothing shady or suspect about that.? Simply class.