RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
puha

No Nth Is Easter Monday Meeting

So Ellerslie with NZ's largest population and disposable income can't make it work so give up the meeting. Maybe the powers to be could of had less meetings in the CD a couple of weeks back and reprogrammed a meeting for Monday? I'm sure a country club could make it a success . 

I heard Greg Purcell talk to Peter Early about this issue a few weeks ago. Purcell  mentioned words to the effect that whilst The ARC was our biggest club, it was also our biggest liabiliy.

1 hour ago, bestbets said:

You might fine it was booked out for a wedding. :)

pretty sad when the biggest club with the biggest population cant make a go of it on a public holiday, where we heading.

Why can't they work the two in together?

They have on  plenty of other occasions, it's a racecourse for goodness sake and surely it should be used as that first and foremost.

If it is indeed a wedding surely to goodness those involved would also partake in the fun of a Raceday on the same day. Or are they non racing people who the club have pandered to?

Perhaps someone should go along and make a few inquiries as to who it is and why, especially if it's a wedding taking place on a Monday!

11 hours ago, bloke said:

I heard Greg Purcell talk to Peter Early about this issue a few weeks ago. Purcell  mentioned words to the effect that whilst The ARC was our biggest club, it was also our biggest liabiliy.

I thought he was. Trying to divert attention from the obvious!!!!

3 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

If I recall correctly Easter Monday was always Ellerslie, Feilding and Riccarton.  Now no major club can make a go of that day because of penalty rates. Ironically Easter Sunday doesn't have penalty rates so we probably should be racing then.

In my day it was Riverton Sat, Mon and Tues. Monday was apprentice day cos the top riders were at Riccarton for their meetings on the Monday, wednesday and sat after easter. Jockeys moving from Riverton Easter Saturday,Riccarton Monday, Riverton Tuesday Riccarton Wednesday and then Riccarton again the following Saturday. Oh the Glory Days sadly now gone.

5 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Would need a law change WD...current statutes do not allow it and with the Easter Trading fiasco tied up with it, the Government aren't going to be in a hurry to change it.   Public pressure may make it happen however, just a question of when.

Are you saying its legal for tabs to open on Easter Sunday but it's illegal to bet on course. 

I'm not one to  comment regularly but I must agree it's pretty amazing that after Tauranga sat the next meeting in the north is at Matamata wed, dear oh dear a 4 day weekend and one race meeting in NZ'S most populated area,

Well lets get excited about Riverton because the programming is amazing , I rest my case , what the fuck is going on with racing in NZ 

8 hours ago, tonkatime said:

Are you saying its legal for tabs to open on Easter Sunday but it's illegal to bet on course. 

You can't bet on course Tonka because there is no NZ racing, only Australian. That's why the TAB is open.

I have a vague idea that there is nothing technically stopping racemeetings being held in NZ on Easter Sunday I don't think it would take much to organise it.

The trouble with Ellerslie is that since they moved their cup week and associated feature races there are very few races left to fit in over Easter and the local racegoers are a bit burnt out.

And I must say the main races at Riverton are a bit disappointing especially given the stakes.

17 hours ago, meomy said:

Why can't they work the two in together?

They have on  plenty of other occasions, it's a racecourse for goodness sake and surely it should be used as that first and foremost.

If it is indeed a wedding surely to goodness those involved would also partake in the fun of a Raceday on the same day. Or are they non racing people who the club have pandered to?

Perhaps someone should go along and make a few inquiries as to who it is and why, especially if it's a wedding taking place on a Monday!

My comment was very much tongue in cheek as to a reason why they would relinquish there Monday. 

Public holiday. Huge captive audience . If the Auckland club is a failure on Easter Monday sound out another Northern club I'm sure there'd be takers. I think next Friday Awapuni are holding a big meeting yes Friday when we are all working after a long weekend and punting is on the back burner.

2 hours ago, kakama said:

What the hell is happening, somebody need to sort this crap out.

Easter Friday today, once apon a time it was all about hot cross buns and trying to get the Mrs to play games in bed.... It was a day when no punting was done so you had to talk to the rest of the family. Always thought it would be a good day to go to the races, public holiday etc, mist of the family not working. At the same time I understand that the god squad want the day to be boring.

But now, the tab have live betting shortly on the beer guzzling, girl perving top class dart players, which I love. Tab have many other sports today that we can bet on too! But also, they have a meeting from Singapore this afternoon? Even crownbet have NO horse betting today??

So why can't they hold race meetings today!!

Every year we have punting comps on the Singapore gallops with $100 each in the account, makes for a fun evening.

Hey its beats the Mrs idea of we go for a family walk around the Hamilton Gardens.

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Every year we have punting comps on the Singapore gallops with $100 each in the account, makes for a fun evening.

Hey its beats the Mrs idea of we go for a family walk around the Hamilton Gardens.

Barry you have hit the nail on the head. All the betting options the TAB have from 8.00pm onwards need a different approach. Competitions is the way to go. They need not be anything grandiose just perhaps duplicate the concept of a poker table with say 10 hands. Small parimutuel pools are just not suited to the small pool environment. Punters want entertainment and interaction and beating a reasonable sized group of other punters.

Easter Monday.

How things have changed. I remember Easter Monday where there was a big day at Ellerslie, swarms of people at oncourse betting only meeting e.g. Te Teko and two central districts meetings one at Feilding and another at Tauherenikau. Amazingly fields usually stood up well at both Central District venues and there could even have been a division race thrown in. . On the weekend there would also be two CD meetings on the Saturday making it 4 meetings in 2 days in the CD. The Fielding racedays were iconic with many Wellington visitors

21 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Barry you have hit the nail on the head. All the betting options the TAB have from 8.00pm onwards need a different approach. Competitions is the way to go. They need not be anything grandiose just perhaps duplicate the concept of a poker table with say 10 hands. Small parimutuel pools are just not suited to the small pool environment. Punters want entertainment and interaction and beating a reasonable sized group of other punters.

Easter Monday.

How things have changed. I remember Easter Monday where there was a big day at Ellerslie, swarms of people at oncourse betting only meeting e.g. Te Teko and two central districts meetings one at Feilding and another at Tauherenikau. Amazingly fields usually stood up well at both Central District venues and there could even have been a division race thrown in. . On the weekend there would also be two CD meetings on the Saturday making it 4 meetings in 2 days in the CD. The Fielding racedays were iconic with many Wellington visitors

I remember the division races at Feilding very well. In my teens I sometimes spent the Easter break from boarding school at my aunt's in Palmerston North. One of her sons was a trainer, another an assistant starter. My aunt seemed to know everyone on the course and could not resist having another ten-bob each way on an acquaintance's horse - or tip! With the brackets of those times she once had 12 horses going for her in one race!! 

My job was to hold the tickets and count up the divs. My reward? Hotdogs and ice-creams all day.