RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ashoka

Trackside Channels

I have been informed by Sky Television, and have confirmed this with the TAB Helpdesk, that you now need to purchase the Sky Basic Package in order to have access to the two Trackside Channels. The ability to purchase access to just the two Trackside Channels is no longer available.

I find this to be absolutely reprehensible...and completely predictable.

All the best.

Ashoka

Thought I would check to make sure Ashoka.

Rang Sky as a potential customer and asked about obtaining Trackside 62/63. I was told for the first month I would have to purchase the Sky Basic Package at $49.22. After the first month I could then downgrade to the Freeview channels which included Trackside cahnnels at $18.70 per month.  

I rang Sky TV a few weeks ago. We have two "mysky's" and one multi room decoders. Not happy with the 2015 upgrade which feels like a big downgrade to many viewers.

I get my movies and sports coverage elsewhere now so wanted to dump everything except the free to air channels that include Trackside. Yes you can downgrade but Sky TV have that covered. You don't buy the decoders. You rent them off them so if I downgrade to free to air only channels it still costs me $65 a month. Yes that's correct. $65 a month for free to air TV.  If I dislike this rort I can return the decoders and have a blank screen unless I buy a freeview unit which I understand does not have Trackside.

Welcome to progress. 

rdytdy...

Thank you for your informative post. What you have stated is, indeed, correct, as I would expect it to be. However, this information contradicts what I was told by a Sky representative this morning and which was then confirmed by a staff member on the TAB Helpdesk (telephone).

Addicted as I am to the mySky decoder, my ongoing Sky costs will be $38.70 per month for the free-to-air channels, which Sky, strangely in my opinion, say includes the two Trackside channels, and the cost of the said decoder ($20.00). I don't mind "strange"...in fact, I generally welcome it, especially when it adds up to be to my advantage, as this does.

I note, however, that the "deal" promoted by the NZRB did not last long and that when the situation changed, whenever that was, there was, apparently, no notification of this happening.

All the best.

Ashoka

1 minute ago, kakama said:

I am surprised that no tech wizz kid has sorted out a way to get free sky trackside? 

Surely it could be done. Used to have caravan a few years back, picked up all sorts of channels all around the world? I know that sky now have better technology to stop people doing it, but why can't you intercept the tab feed that we get for free? Surely you could somehow improve the live stream with some sort of device! 

Any whizz kids, try and sort this out! 

They have Kakama, its called internet access, as long as you have $ in your account you can watch it for free.

Piece of cake on a smart TV.

8 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Thought I would check to make sure Ashoka.

Rang Sky as a potential customer and asked about obtaining Trackside 62/63. I was told for the first month I would have to purchase the Sky Basic Package at $49.22. After the first month I could then downgrade to the Freeview channels which included Trackside cahnnels at $18.70 per month.  

Really for $18.70, I know someone who won't pay that out of principle, but we pay Sky to watch Super Rugby and NRL and anything else of a sporting nature, so too Racing.what's the difference? If they are not prepared to pay $18, they probably don't punt much anyway.

Tom I watch the weather every night and I see rain/windy/showers almost every day for the coast and like a lot of people I am sure, we sit there and think who would live in that shithole, they never get a summer, it has nothing going for it and now you have confirmed the last thing that may have saved the place, the internet is crap as well.