RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

I'm having a bitch

This has happened to my brain over the last week.....and you can probably tell I've been holed up watching a bit of TV

Tried on 11 occasions to place a bet using the TAB phone service. Couldn't get an operator. Yes I could have used the computer but because I tried once, I was interested in knowing if that failed attempt was a terminal issue....it was. If the TAB markets that it provides a telephone service, then make sure it works. The message says use the telephone touchtone number 0800 102033 but it you try using your mobile, it doesn't accept your attempt at using it.

Watched Cheltenham (via the web) and thought to myself what a pleasure it was to be presented a story board on horse racing rather than this perverse need for all of our commentators to try to be tipsters. Don't the generals of our industry realise that if our commentators were successful tipping experts, then they wouldn't be commentators. By continuously referring to their tips, they are directing the viewer to follow them and have a bet on their "certainty" (don't really know why they would want to do that), but they will ultimately lose which will disenfranchise the viewer from the industry. This is not a very difficult notion to understand. The commentators need to stop talking about their tips and betting. They need to talk about the horses, the story board, the people and they definitely need to be autonomous.

Listening to the commentators in the UK and Aussie, they have passion and an inherent understanding of the horse and the form of the horse. They hardly talk about betting. Our commentators operate on a methodology format. They taper their voice inflections relating to the content which creates a monotonous drone. This is where the last couple of words in sentences have a pitch change to create a miniature pause between sentences. It is lazy commentating and reporting. Why isn't there additional coaching to these people?

The industry needs to dispense with the services of the current person responsible for delivering the visual image of the content of Trackside, unless the person is new. The content is sloppy, smacks of complacency and laziness to extend and push the boundaries of reporting and sourcing visual data. The channel programs need to be a compelling entertainment version of reality TV. We're so far away from it, its embarrassing.

I Have no idea why there is a continuous, and often outdated version of so called entertainment called "Bred to Win". I've now seen the same program on a number of occasions and its all about AUSTRALIAN BREEDING. Hopefully we are being paid a fortune for this advertising......does anyone know whether this is an advertorial? Where are the NZ stories?

The trials were at Counties on the 15th March. Why did it take until the 20th  to post the videos of those trials? This should all be automated.

If you watch and listen to people like retired jockey Simon Marshall, you really get the goods on the chances of each horse, based on its current form, past performances over the distance, it's trial form, the track conditions, it's looks (eg, coat) and it's demeanour in the mounting yard, etc.  I find that info very helpful to go with what I have previously worked out "myself" during the period between acceptances and start time. Usually, at the end of his summation, he would be asked to give his selections. These do not sway me one iota. I'm not that interested in commentators tips - I'm interested only in the info they provide just in case I've missed something. But Berri is right, some of the NZ commentary is bordering on "Cuckoo's Nest" proportions. Melbourne had some of the best - especially when they interview a trainer or two before the horses leave the yard. I love hearing Peter Snowden, Matty Ellerton, Darren Weir or Chris Waller talk about the chances of their runners. Gives me a bit of confidence in my selections. I thought Capitalist was the top pick for the Slipper, especially at $8.50. I backed him and was very confident given the assurances the Snowden's had given about him. If he had won his only lead-up he would have been $2.50 ! I'm only spewing because I had 3rd,4th,5th,6th and 7th in the Tri and f4 !! Left out an unbeaten filly with a World Class jockey on it and yep - it got 2nd(grrrr). Still, at $8.50, Capitalist was a great anchor into some nice multi All-Ups :)

31 minutes ago, Peter Harrop said:

For TAB touchtone from a mobile phone the number is *405063

Or 044727888.    Berri's post is spot on. I cannot stand the waffle that our presenters bombard us with, pure shite. The mute button is the order of the day round here. And it is a pleasure to listen to overseas feeds rather than the self appointed experts that we are subjected to.

The phone number that you have given is almost definitely correct but that's not the number that was given to me, by way of a message, on the phone. My point in this space was that:

1. I couldn't place a bet using the normal phone service; and

2. The number given to me for touch tone was the incorrect one if I was using a mobile phone.

This is quite simple but totally inexcusable. It shows that the fundamentals of this part the systems are not/ do not work. Call centres are not rocket science and outfits with multiples of TAB client numbers don't have a problem and why, after all this time, is the option given on the voice message incorrect, or insufficient. I could only rely on a mobile phone, and the recipient of my call, to determine what steps I should take. I shouldn't hit a brick wall. An "F" grade I'm afraid.

The Aussies are far from perfect.  The coverage from marquee day at Randwick on Saturday provided comedy when the communications around the course with interviews etc kept breaking up or falling silent, with a variety of lame excuses. 

On the matter of intelligent raceday comments, I reckon Bruce Sherwin is brilliant before, during and after races he calls.  His observations during the races he called at Te Rapa last Saturday were spontaneous, accurate and perceptive.  Perhaps he has the advantage over other callers in that his talents are respected and rewarded in other facets of the industry, so he can maintain his dignity by overlooking the shallow and petty behaviours so enthusiastically followed one trick ponies. 

16 hours ago, aquaman said:

You forget hair dye Darryn.

He always looks like he has just got out of bed after a hard night - eyes like piss holes in the sand....

The drab gear they wear doesn't help, why they think wearing suits and ties gives them more credibility I have no idea.

The more casual look of Thoroughbred Weekly is much better. You certainly learn more......;)

6 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

He always looks like he has just got out of bed after a hard night - eyes like piss holes in the sand....

The drab gear they wear doesn't help, why they think wearing suits and ties gives them more credibility I have no idea.

The more casual look of Thoroughbred Weekly is much better. You certainly learn more......;)

Are the eye brows dyed to?. They would have much more credibility if they just stayed natural. Mr Sweeny practices this, and is more watchable because of it.