RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Brown Fox

Cheltenham

10 hours ago, Brown Fox said:

Any coverage on Trackside this week?

Hope so. It's a magnificent carnival with fantastic stake money. They treat jumps racing with great respect. Not just some tired old horses who can't keep up on the flat and irritate Trackside because they can fit at least two greyhound races in while one steeplechase is being run.  

I imagine it will be a tough carnival for Tony McCoy to watch. 

"Tote betting will not be available on the Cheltenham Festival in order to accommodate betting on the ICC World Twenty20. However, we will have Final Field (Fixed Odds) betting available on each day of the four-day festival. Betting will be available until 1:00am via the Fixed odds (other) menu in the Racing section of tab.co.nz."

Why on earth does the cricket world cup being on at the same time affect the ability for them to take tote betting?

1 hour ago, Dazzer said:

No live TV coverage.  No live tote betting either.

https://www.tab.co.nz/information/#news/2016-03-15/cheltenham-day-1

Our strategy of matching if not bettering the world-leading betting services provided by Albania has almost been achieved.

Could they be any more farking pathetic? 

After all these years of broadcasting and they still don't understand the importance of live action.

It's a disgrace and whoever made that decision should resign as he / she has absolutely no understanding and respect for feature jumps races. With friends like that,jumps racing needs no enemies.

As per usual NZ TAB, thanks for nothing! 

I'm assuming the issue with "clash" between Cheltenham and cricket pools is there is a limit to the number of options they can offer at any one time.

Same issue with the English Grand National which most years has over 24 starters.  Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but for tote betting I think there is a hard-coded limit of 24 (which is the largest number of starters in a NZ or Oz race.

Regardless, it just shows how pathetically inadequate the TAB's infrastructure is and what a woeful experience we are being served up.

5 hours ago, gubellini said:

Min to win the Novice Hurdle.

I hope so Gubellini,took an ante post investment on Min after he won his first race in Ireland (8/1).He does get a little hot (French bred) pre race,but they have a hood on him. (1st  investment of the year so everything is  crossed).

4 hours ago, beerwithduncan said:

Could they be any more farking pathetic? 

After all these years of broadcasting and they still don't understand the importance of live action.

It's a disgrace and whoever made that decision should resign as he / she has absolutely no understanding and respect for feature jumps races. With friends like that,jumps racing needs no enemies.

As per usual NZ TAB, thanks for nothing! 

Agree,this is the biggest jumps festival in the world!!The horses,crowds,atmosphere and numbers (betting,food,drink is mind boggling )

If the TAB needed a contact and was interested for Cheltenham  next year or any UK/Ireland festival,I would be available for information and media works so the NZ betting public gets the exposure to these meetings they deserve.

All the best

3 hours ago, Dazzer said:

I'm assuming the issue with "clash" between Cheltenham and cricket pools is there is a limit to the number of options they can offer at any one time.

Same issue with the English Grand National which most years has over 24 starters.  Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but for tote betting I think there is a hard-coded limit of 24 (which is the largest number of starters in a NZ or Oz race.

Regardless, it just shows how pathetically inadequate the TAB's infrastructure is and what a woeful experience we are being served up.

No it's even more pathetic than that - their "system" needs to rebooted every day which takes a few hours and given they are taking live betting on the cricket if they also offered betting on Cheltenham there would be no time for the shut down!  You're right that they can't offer tote betting on races with over 24 horses, but normally they still offer this for all the Cheltenham races with 24 or less starters, but not this year.....

14 minutes ago, lecithin said:

No it's even more pathetic than that - their "system" needs to rebooted every day which takes a few hours and given they are taking live betting on the cricket if they also offered betting on Cheltenham there would be no time for the shut down!  You're right that they can't offer tote betting on races with over 24 horses, but normally they still offer this for all the Cheltenham races with 24 or less starters, but not this year.....

Are they just quietly closing down and going out of business?

Swoopa good luck with your bet on Min in the Novice Hurdle.

17 of the last 19 renewals were won by last start winners.

Irish trained horses have won 10 of the last 15 runnings.

French breds have won 3 of the last 5 runnings.

It really pisses me off that after all these years of complaining the.  folk in Petone don't cover or report what is undoubtedly one of the greatest carnivals on the planet. There are 270,000 confirmed ticket sales this year. Four of the races will be in the top ten betting races on the UK ( flat included) racing calendar.

you would think that someone would have the intelligence and courage to include this event as a "must do" betting promotion for the TAB's customers

Agree Berri, and my view is that coverage should be compulsory because Cheltenham is a cultural event and thus is far more significant than just racing, in the same manner as the Melbourne Cup carnival.

As an aside I wonder how many Range Rovers will see mud for the first time in their life this year, how much Pimms will be drunk, how many tweed skirts will be lifted and bottoms punched by blokes named Seb or Nigel, and how many blowjobs girls named Charlotte or Diana will give post grad students from Oxford or Cambridge in the back of a green Range Rover after the races, while the said male reclines, on his Burberry overcoat, listening to the maudlin Adele, and nibbling on a Scotch egg.

Are we talking about the same race meeting ?

1 hour ago, Midget said:

Agree Berri, and my view is that coverage should be compulsory because Cheltenham is a cultural event and thus is far more significant than just racing, in the same manner as the Melbourne Cup carnival.

As an aside I wonder how many Range Rovers will see mud for the first time in their life this year, how much Pimms will be drunk, how many tweed skirts will be lifted and bottoms punched by blokes named Seb or Nigel, and how many blowjobs girls named Charlotte or Diana will give post grad students from Oxford or Cambridge in the back of a green Range Rover after the races, while the said male reclines, on his Burberry overcoat, listening to the maudlin Adele, and nibbling on a Scotch egg.

Are we talking about the same race meeting ?

Midget, You are not the first to notice the never ending line of people named Nigel.

I firmly believe the diabolical decision not to cover the magnificent Cheltenham carnival is by far the worst decision made by Trackside since they started broadcasting as action TV in 1992. It's hugely embarrassing that Petone are are so inept they don't appreciate the significance of the carnival. What's next on the agenda? Not providing live coverage of the 2016 Melbourne Cup because it clashes with the Wollomboombaladong 310 metre greyhound dash? Oh well, I'm sure they would provide a replay on the Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, Berri said:

It really pisses me off that after all these years of complaining the.  folk in Petone don't cover or report what is undoubtedly one of the greatest carnivals on the planet. There are 270,000 confirmed ticket sales this year. Four of the races will be in the top ten betting races on the UK ( flat included) racing calendar.

you would think that someone would have the intelligence and courage to include this event as a "must do" betting promotion for the TAB's customers

Very well said Berri. Right on the money.

11 hours ago, gubellini said:

Swoopa good luck with your bet on Min in the Novice Hurdle.

17 of the last 19 renewals were won by last start winners.

Irish trained horses have won 10 of the last 15 runnings.

French breds have won 3 of the last 5 runnings.

Everything in his favour today,but just not good enough on the day.I saw something  in him 4 or so months ago.I only "invest" 4 or 5 times a year and prefer getting on early (ante post) .last year 3 collects out 4 investments.

Don Cossak is my last Cheltenham  investment and with the track conditions  in his favour this week,I'm praying for no rain.

Good luck punters

Over 60,000 on course today

So how good is Annie Power. We all had a bet on Your Tent Or Mine four months ago at 60-1 each way so I was watching the race from a rather bias perspective. But I had to admire the mare by Sirroco (Monsun). Winner of 14 from 16 starts and went to the front and stayed there. So lets examine this...

I could bet on this event 12 months ago. I can bet on next years event right now. I can see all the information in a very user friendly form on the Racing Post with interactive links. I can see all the replays on Racing UK . I've got a specific media package available to be called The Cheltenham Festival which is just focusing on every story in connection with the carnival.

The coverage is fantastic, the event (it is jumping after all) is so well programed and the program leading up to the carnival is really well structured.

The result of all of that is that 7 jumpers were sold (known) for more than $1m leading up to this carnival. Annie Power is conservatively worth 1,000,000 quid.

The betting on the first day of Cheltenham is larger than last years English 1000 and 2000 Guineas race days combined.

We could do this if we felt like it. Just got to make the tracks and get the systems in place

Well said Berri, you have summed up things perfectly.

Annie Power  is a freakish  mare alright!!

With the scratching of the hot favourite two weeks ago, you would have been rubbing your hands together with your ante post bet (unlucky ).

All the best for the rest of the festival

The seemingly impossible has happened and Sprinter Sacre is a great horse once more. The veteran chaser, whose ability seemed gone forever after the onset of heart problems three years ago, powered up the hill to win his second Queen Mother Champion Chase, beating the odds-on Un De Sceaux.

“Dreams do actually happen,” said his trainer, Nicky Henderson, who, at the age of 65, has surely surpassed all his previous achievements in bringing the 10-year-old back to this level. “There were tough days, sure, but it was definitely worth it.

Sprinter Sacre was widely heralded as the best steeplechaser since Arkle when he won his first 10 runs over fences, including this race in 2013. But he was pulled up at Kempton the following Christmas with a fibrillating heart that kept him off the track for a year.

On his return to action early in 2015, he seemed so far short of his former greatness that retirement became a distinct possibility. He was pulled up in last year’s Champion Chase.

Some kind of recovery had clearly been achieved when he won his first two starts this winter, though his scrambled success over Sire De Grugy at Christmas suggested he was still some way short of the old Sprinter Sacre. For much of this race, that still appeared to be true and most punters felt the race was going their way when the Willie Mullins-trained Un De Sceaux went clear on the downhill run half a mile from home.

The 5-1 shot Sprinter Sacre also has many fans, however, and so much became clear when he ranged alongside the favourite at the turn for home. When he bounded over the last with victory beyond doubt, the approving roar from the stands was enormous.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/16/sprinter-sacre-champion-chase-cheltenham-festival