RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
grandad47

Grandad 47

Over-racing of greyhounds - welfare officer replies.

Greg Kerr, Animal Welfare Manager GRNZ, has replied to my post on over-racing of greyhounds as follows:

"We totally agree and for the past two years we have proactively put forward a rule change to address this.    The proposed rule change was to restrict dogs from racing any more than three times over a 7 day period.    Disappointingly the rule failed both times to be adopted at the AGM.   We will be putting it forward again this year, so I suggest getting as many LPs together to have your say at your club's meeting when they discuss this year's rule changes.    It's interesting that Victoria   are looking to relax their no racing on consecutive days to allowing them to run every two or three days.    Something we think is a backward step."

Over-racing of greyhounds - welfare officer replies.

Greg Kerr, Animal Welfare Manager GRNZ, has replied to my post on over-racing of greyhounds as follows:

"We totally agree and for the past two years we have proactively put forward a rule change to address this.    The proposed rule change was to restrict dogs from racing any more than three times over a 7 day period.    Disappointingly the rule failed both times to be adopted at the AGM.   We will be putting it forward again this year, so I suggest getting as many LPs together to have your say at your club's meeting when they discuss this year's rule changes.    It's interesting that Victoria   are looking to relax their no racing on consecutive days to allowing them to run every two or three days.    Something we think is a backward step."

10 minutes ago, richie said:

Why.A mate of mine had a dog that raced 4 times in a week.Won 3rd and 4th start.Obviously didnt do no harm.

I agree, It depends on the dog, Ive seen a dog accidentally trial 500 at wellington before a group 2 race on the same day than come out and win it. These rules are ridiculous as alot of dogs thrive of off racing. maybe three times in 3-4 days is ridiculous, but not 7.

Sairy i am not a dog follower but occasionally will have a look and have friends that are.I dont think over racibg is a big prob but i could be wrong.Most of the fields i see dogs only having couple starts or 3 at most in a week.I  could be wrong but do keep eye on fields for mates races so dont think i am

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 7:53 PM, come on ref said:

Can't he just enforce it as they did with the black hat rule.

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 7:53 PM, come on ref said:

Can't he just enforce it as they did with the black hat rule.

Greg Kerr, GRNZ Animal Welfare Manager, replied to my post on rehoming greyhounds: "  There is a misconception that the imports are a strain on the GAP rehoming programme.    This is not the case and we keep a very close eye on import numbers weekly (the Racing Committee have agreed that if imports reach a certain level over a two month period that we will simply put a halt on all dogs coming in.     We need to be mindful of the breeding restrictions and deregistering requirements mean that potentially we could become a dumping ground for Australian dogs, hence the move to address this if the trends so increase numbers.     This restriction and our position has been discussed at Board level within Greyhounds Australasia.     The GAP programme has itself been through change and the new programme director has made a number of positive moves.     The waiting list is down to 91 dogs, the waiting period for dogs to enter the programme in the North Island is between three weeks and three months.   The new kennel facility in the South Island means the programme will soon be matching the North.      We are very pleased that the rehoming programme has hit our target of a dog a day which is a great result.     February saw a record number of applications received at 65 for the month."

9 minutes ago, grandad47 said:

GRNZ obviously have good reason for their stance on restricting dogs from racing any more than three times over a seven day period.    The tail should not be able to wag the dog,  vested interests must not be allowed to bring the sport into disrepute.

I doubt it, looks good for the antis, that's about it, also why AUS want their current rules about the amount of racing in a specific time abolished as research suggests otherwise

5 minutes ago, grandad47 said:

Greg Kerr, GRNZ Animal Welfare Manager, replied to my post on rehoming greyhounds: "  There is a misconception that the imports are a strain on the GAP rehoming programme.    This is not the case and we keep a very close eye on import numbers weekly (the Racing Committee have agreed that if imports reach a certain level over a two month period that we will simply put a halt on all dogs coming in.     We need to be mindful of the breeding restrictions and deregistering requirements mean that potentially we could become a dumping ground for Australian dogs, hence the move to address this if the trends so increase numbers.     This restriction and our position has been discussed at Board level within Greyhounds Australasia.     The GAP programme has itself been through change and the new programme director has made a number of positive moves.     The waiting list is down to 91 dogs, the waiting period for dogs to enter the programme in the North Island is between three weeks and three months.   The new kennel facility in the South Island means the programme will soon be matching the North.      We are very pleased that the rehoming programme has hit our target of a dog a day which is a great result.     February saw a record number of applications received at 65 for the month."

What a silly statement , the racing committee will halt greyhounds coming in if to many turn up , we have a free trade agreement with australia and we purchase dogs weeks before they land here .....i think grnz would have some ,massive court costs if they just said stop......this surley shows this guy has no idea what he is doing....his recomendation to  purchase  the kennels in levin has been a failure.........no wonder he is now development manager/welfare officer.....does he have something over someone to keep climbing the ladder .......Why did we buy Levin ? it has proved the private GAP kennels have had the most success and we need not have spent another million dollars on something that is a problem that they have now handed back to gap to run anyrate ....

5 minutes ago, Hound Fan said:

What a silly statement , the racing committee will halt greyhounds coming in if to many turn up , we have a free trade agreement with australia and we purchase dogs weeks before they land here .....i think grnz would have some ,massive court costs if they just said stop

Who's making the silly statements?

With a free trade agreement in place, why doesn't Australia import NZ Apples?

Didn't GRNZ enforce an embargo on the importation of greyhounds immediately after the live baiting scandal was exposed in Australia?

I didn't hear about any "massive court costs" stemming from that action.

53 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Didn't GRNZ enforce an embargo on the importation of greyhounds immediately after the live baiting scandal was exposed in Australia?

I'm sure the imports kept on coming in aswell

1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:

NO they did not...all they did was stop any dogs that were with trainers caught up in the live baiting from racing in nz , there is not a way in hell they could stop you bringing a greyhound in......in fact i already had paid airfares for a dog that was involved and it still came and raced here with there knowlege..so get your facts right.

3 minutes ago, Hound Fan said:

there is not a way in hell they could stop you bringing a greyhound in

so get your facts right.

You're right, GRNZ can't stop me from bringing in a greyhound. I'm no longer bound by their rules.

An LP however could be & potentially was stopped if they intended bring one in from the said Australian trainers a while back.

My facts are right.

Apples to Australia... tick

Embargo... tick

Massive court costs.. tick

Next?

1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:

You're right, GRNZ can't stop me from bringing in a greyhound. I'm no longer bound by their rules.

An LP however could be & potentially was stopped if they intended bring one in from the said Australian trainers a while back.

My facts are right.

Apples to Australia... tick

Embargo... tick

Massive court costs.. tick

Next?

Wrong..a person can take apples to australia if they declare them....i have a maf officer sitting in my lounge right at the moment ...maybe not in bulk

Wrong ...there has never been a embnargo on importing a greyhound into nz

Wrong .. i said if they ever tryed there would be massive court costs....so get your facts right

27 minutes ago, Hound Fan said:

Wrong..a person can take apples to australia if they declare them....i have a maf officer sitting in my lounge right at the moment ...maybe not in bulk

Wrong ...there has never been a embnargo on importing a greyhound into nz

Wrong .. i said if they ever tryed there would be massive court costs....so get your facts right

Apples - http://exportermagazine.co.nz/category/news-tags/nz-apple-exports

Apples - http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/135675/apple-exports-to-australia-still-small-part-of-market

Apples.... tick

Embargo - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embargo  "An embargo (from the Spanish embargo, meaning hindrance, obstruction, etc. in a general sense, a trading ban in trade terminology and literally "distraint" in juridic parlance) is the partial or complete prohibition of commerce and trade with a particular country or a group of countries."

A trade restriction (embargo) was enforced on greyhounds held by trainers under investigation for live baiting about a year ago.

Embargo... tick

Massive court costs.. GRNZ enforced an embargo as above. Please provide evidence as to "massive court costs" due to the aforementioned embargo to quantify your statement. (doubt you can)

Massive court costs... tick